Garbage Bag Day | Player Exit Interviews

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We have seen this movie before. Petry II

Not really. I'd rather have Petry who was not nearly as averse to physical play and did quite well here considering.

I don't know that theres anything in the respective styles of these players that is similar.

if you're talking strictly dynamic, and punching above weight I think Petry would do better at it.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
There's gotta be something to this Vatanen thing. Stauffer isnt even trying to be cryptic about it anymore, he's basically taking about it like it's already happened.

I was listening to the end of the game, and the first thing he said when the game was over is that the Oilers are going to make some changes in the offseason. I knew it was coming, and sure enough it followed with a "........Sami Vatanen. Now there's a guy that would fit in perfectly blah blah blah"
He talks about Vatanen like every day now.

If you listen to Oilers Now and did a shot for every time he mentioned Sami Vatanen, well you'd be pretty drunk by the end of it.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Not really. I'd rather have Petry who was not nearly as averse to physical play and did quite well here considering.

I don't know that theres anything in the respective styles of these players that is similar.

if you're talking strictly dynamic, and punching above weight I think Petry would do better at it.

Petry had just as many problems as Sekera when he was playing over his head.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think that's Semantics.

Look at it this way;

A pro team in dire need of improvement on D hires Sekera to its highest priced D contract as a vet player that is obviously the biggest D signing the team did in the off season and of a player that was obviously going to be slotted in top pairing. That was going to be the use of Sekera this year. I'm sure he knew it, I'm sure everybody knew it. Not like it happened through surprise, injury, trade, or attrition, Sekera was supposed to be a top D this season on a club badly in need of one.

The reality is Sekera this season was going to have to punch above weight, knew it, and didn't do particularly well at it.

Are we really paying this guy 5.5M for being a non physical D with no particular offensive production, who is suspect in own zone and doesn't do anything particularly well. I would argue that value hasn't been obtained thus far in this contract.

What have Sekeras strengths been. 82 games, still looking for it.

TBH GRyba slotted in here more seamlessly than Sekera and McLellan recognized it with toi and situational shift use.

But we've seen this numerous times. Not just with defensemen but with forwards. If this team had a top pairing of Keith and Doughty Sekera's deficiencies wouldn't even happen. It's the team makeup that fails the players coming in, not the other way around. Too often we expect too much of players. Most of the defensemen on our team this year ranged from "mediocre" to "Cam Barker".

Until this team gets some legit top pairing defensemen this cycle is just going to keep going. And I don't buy that Klefbom is going to fix that problem either.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Why is McLellan's interview tomorrow? Seems vaguely odd. Does he not want the players to be around when he slams them? :popcorn:

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Stauffer routinely says that they could have signed Petry to a long term deal under 5m if they wanted to but management/MacT didn't believe in hm.

Oh how hilarious it was they thought a bottom-pairing guy in Schultz was the future and Petry was expendable.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Stauffer routinely says that they could have signed Petry to a long term deal under 5m if they wanted to but management/MacT didn't believe in hm.

Oh how hilarious it was they thought a bottom-pairing guy in Schultz was the future and Petry was expendable.

I think that bet was Mact's final straw.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

MacT said himself after the Petry deal (think this was an interview after he signed Schultz to his first bridge deal in the summer of 2014) that long term would have required the "$4M price point", and he didn't want too many $4M price point D (Nikitin and Schultz down the road must have been all he could stomach). Obviously Petry would have been a bargain long term around $4M. I think we can all agree that MacT was a terrible GM :)

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

MacT and his staff proved time and time again they're couldn't identify defense

Belov
Grebeshkov 2.0
Ference
Nikitin

and of course, their undying love for Justin "Norris" Schultz

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Yeah, the Nikitin, Petry/Schultz errors were just too much. MacT might be one of the worst at identifying what good defensemen look like.

Fayne is somewhat defendable because he was playing heavy minutes on a pretty good team regularly, but Nikitin was a healthy scratch and Schultz was Schultz.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Also, Chairelli is a much better skilled GM in the way he handles the press compared to MacT.

Every time MacT opened his mouth it was a PR disaster and that's something an experienced guy just knows what to say and what not to say. MacT had no clue.

Considering Mactavish was a pro player who likely participated in many press conferences and media scrums throughout his career, was a coach for 10 years where talking to the media was a daily event, and even worked on TV for a few years; he should have had a ton of experience and skill in dealing with that kind of thing. The fact that he was so bad suggests there is an issue between his ears.

Of course, he could have avoided the media for those two years and he would still look just as stupid, his efforts to build a team in the role as GM were evidence enough of that.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Just to clarify, how many times has Eberle gone to the World Championships?

It's not like he's Iginla, who would never go.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I used to agree with you more often than not. Only Gagner and Yak seeming to be diametrically opposite.

Didn't realize you were a big Petry fan.

Barring his last year Petry was ripped consistently for not being physical enough. The only thing consistent about any aspect of Petry's game before his last season with the Oil is his inconsistency.

Decent size, rarely used it. Decent Iq, but inconsistent. Okay skater but not good enough to cover mistakes. Solid shot, rarely hit the net.

Don't get me wrong. Mac T butchered that situation but at the time he gave him only one year it wasn't like we were losing out on much of a player. His last year he seemed to improve significantly and we should have had him under contract for at least a couple years in his prime.

From reports this year Petry has a growing sector of passionate detractors. No Price to bail him out.

I think Petry is a 3/4 that is overpaid. He played hard and got a good contract. With price injured and money in the bank he is looking more like he did for a long time on the Oil.

Sekera is a 2/3 all around solid defenseman with little help and playing top opposition that is Paid exactly as he should be. I take Sekera all day every day over Petry. Its just to bad we don't have both.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Just to clarify, how many times has Eberle gone to the World Championships?

It's not like he's Iginla, who would never go.
Doesn't matter dude. He's a cancer. Planning for a family member's childbirth? Pffft. Attending weddings? What a laugh. Packing his bags, thinking about the babes he can pull this summer, and wondering if having a gap between his teeth is going to interfere with his future as commercial spokesperson for local businesses? Doesn't the greedy ******* get enough babes and money already? Can't wait till we punt the team's leading scorer because of all the important reasons outlined above. Oh yeah, he probably didn't offer Yak any rides to the games either. What a dink. :sarcasm:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
That's what's known as Jeff Petry syndrome around these parts.

**** you forever for not being our best defenceman by a wide enough margin, Petry!
And now people are pretending that all along they recognized Petry for what he was, and it was just stupid MacT who was blind as a bat.
The truth is I recall precious few voices being raised in support of Petry when he was floundering paired with guys who had two plays; bang it up the wall or pass it to Petry.
Rather this board was awash with unfounded criticism of the player's deficiencies (magnified due to circumstances) and little to no attention was being paid to the fact that he does most things very well.

Hmmm. Sounds a lot like some of the criticisms leveled at some other players this season.

Of course I'm not suggesting you were one of the guys dumping on Petry, but you must have read all those posts like I did?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And now people are pretending that all along they recognized Petry for what he was, and it was just stupid MacT who was blind as a bat.
The truth is I recall precious few voices being raised in support of Petry when he was floundering paired with guys who had two plays; bang it up the wall or pass it to Petry.
Rather this board was awash with unfounded criticism of the player's deficiencies (magnified due to circumstances) and little to no attention was being paid to the fact that he does most things very well.

Hmmm. Sounds a lot like some of the criticisms leveled at some other players this season.

Of course I'm not suggesting you were one of the guys dumping on Petry, but you must have read all those posts like I did?

Sure I did, but I can say without a shred of false modesty that I was one of Petry's biggest backers when he was here, and anyone with a brain hated the Nikitin acquisition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad