Garbage Bag Day | Player Exit Interviews

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Doesn't matter dude. He's a cancer. Planning for a family member's childbirth? Pffft. Attending weddings? What a laugh. Packing his bags, thinking about the babes he can pull this summer, and wondering if having a gap between his teeth is going to interfere with his future as commercial spokesperson for local businesses? Doesn't the greedy ******* get enough babes and money already? Can't wait till we punt the team's leading scorer because of all the important reasons outlined above. Oh yeah, he probably didn't offer Yak any rides to the games either. What a dink. :sarcasm:

I understand his shortcomings, but I've always liked Eberle so I'm bias probably. It's going to be a sad day to see him go if he's traded.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I understand his shortcomings, but I've always liked Eberle so I'm bias probably. It's going to be a sad day to see him go if he's traded.

Not going to be a sad day at all.

I have no loyalties to any Oilers except 97.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not going to be a sad day at all.

I have no loyalties to any Oilers except 97.

I agree, this is McDavid's team and everyone else is expendable. I of course have attachment to some players, but I could get over just about any move as long as it improves the team and 97's still steering the ship.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Does anyone else notice this about Chiarelli?

He almost exclusively uses theses words when evaluating players/staff:

-Good
-Very Good
-Hasn't been Good/ Very good

I know it isn't a very big deal but to me it has been constant through all his pressers and I think you very much read into who he covets when he uses the words "very good". Although he did use the word "Terrific" today about Reinharts passing and I don't know if that was just overcompensation or if he really feels that way but it did come as a surprise. Anyway from my poor memory I only remember him referring to these players/staff members as "very good" (not counting when he was talking about a player shortly after acquiring them).

Mcdavid
Draisaitl
Nuge
Klefbom
Talbot
Maclellan

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Sure I did, but I can say without a shred of false modesty that I was one of Petry's biggest backers when he was here, and anyone with a brain hated the Nikitin acquisition.

I remember posting here when we signed Nikitin and most people loved it, they just thought he was slightly overpaid. I hated and it was told it was an overreaction.

Lots of people loved MacT right off the bat. What a disaster that was. I have a lot of faith in Chiarelli but it could take 3 more years to fix the mess that this organization is. When you screw things up that badly, it can't be fixed in a year.

Lots of people, like myself thought Petry was more of a 2nd pairing guy, or could tag along with a legit #1 d on a top pair. But I'm pretty sure I wrote him off completely by the time we traded him, I did the same with Dubnyk even though I thought he was a good goalie for a long time.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
And now people are pretending that all along they recognized Petry for what he was, and it was just stupid MacT who was blind as a bat.
The truth is I recall precious few voices being raised in support of Petry when he was floundering paired with guys who had two plays; bang it up the wall or pass it to Petry.
Rather this board was awash with unfounded criticism of the player's deficiencies (magnified due to circumstances) and little to no attention was being paid to the fact that he does most things very well.

Hmmm. Sounds a lot like some of the criticisms leveled at some other players this season.

Of course I'm not suggesting you were one of the guys dumping on Petry, but you must have read all those posts like I did?

I knew at the time Petry was our best D, and MacT let him walk for nothing. It was a huge slap in the face to fans.

Oct 15, 2008
Petry was/is garbage. He played like ass here. One season he played well. The rest of the time he was a soft, defensive liability.

Eberle is a liability. A chicken **** player with no heart or try. A me first player that is a cancer. No coincidence this team can't get out of the basement with sad efforts like his on most nights.

I don't think there is anything wrong with him saying no to hockey Canada. He has done more than his share for them in the past. He has earned the right to take a pass.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Quick points

- Very reasonable to assume Chia's talks with other GM's about D has gone past preliminary talks.
- I think a 3rd line centre will be right behind the D in order of importance and I think it will be via trade from the eastern conference. (My guess is Tyler Bozak for picks)
- Probably the most meat on any discussion was the backup G position. The goalie market may be very reasonable this offseason with the upcoming expansion.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Rewatching Chia's interview, I love his diplomacy and tact.

Chia gave some hints, but didn't say too much. What a breath of fresh air compared to the dumpster fire that MacT was.

Chia has something in the works. He's a smart guy, he'll get the puck moving D we need. I trust Chia's vision for our team.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Well said, and same for me.
Sure I did, but I can say without a shred of false modesty that I was one of Petry's biggest backers when he was here, and anyone with a brain hated the Nikitin acquisition.
And I can say without a shred of false modesty that while I certainly thought Nikitin was overpaid, I was kind of open to the idea of bringing him on board. :D

I was a big Petry supporter though. From the first game I saw him play. Can't teach skating like that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
And I can say without a shred of false modesty that while I certainly thought Nikitin was overpaid, I was kind of open to the idea of bringing him on board. :D

I was a big Petry supporter though. From the first game I saw him play. Can't teach skating like that.

One of the biggest reasons I'm still fairly high on Nurse. I think it was in 3 on 3 last night when the puck got by one of our guys to open ice and Nurse blew by everyone including the Canuck who looked like he had a breakaway to beat them to the puck. If he can ever get the offensive side of his game clicking when he rushes the puck then he's going to be very valuable because he can get away with it while still being able to get back on the defensive side quite easily due to his speed.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
One of the biggest reasons I'm still fairly high on Nurse. I think it was in 3 on 3 last night when the puck got by one of our guys to open ice and Nurse blew by everyone including the Canuck who looked like he had a breakaway to beat them to the puck. If he can ever get the offensive side of his game clicking when he rushes the puck then he's going to be very valuable because he can get away with it while still being able to get back on the defensive side quite easily due to his speed.

Agreed. Nurse is a great skater. If he fills out his frame he'll be like 6'4 230 lbs :amazed:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

-Good
-Very Good

I know it isn't a very big deal but to me it has been constant through all his pressers and I think you very much read into who he covets when he uses the words "very good". Although he did use the word "Terrific" today about Reinharts passing and I don't know if that was just overcompensation or if he really feels that way but it did come as a surprise. Anyway from my poor memory I only remember him referring to these players/staff members as "very good" (not counting when he was talking about a player shortly after acquiring them).

Mcdavid
Draisaitl
Nuge
Klefbom
Talbot
Maclellan

Interesting, hopefully there's something to it as I'd like to see all of those guys back next season.

Agreed. Nurse is a great skater. If he fills out his frame he'll be like 6'4 230 lbs :amazed:

Then he could be intimidating by leveling guys with hits as well. Didn't see much of that this season.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

I would have been very sad a year ago, but after watching his level of compete this year and esp in the last few weeks, I will be a little less sad.

Is it just me, or if he didn't want to attend due to personal commitments, he probably should have just said that instead of the exact reasons (which make it read more like excuses of varying importances to different people).

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I would have been very sad a year ago, but after watching his level of compete this year and esp in the last few weeks, I will be a little less sad.

Is it just me, or if he didn't want to attend due to personal commitments, he probably should have just said that instead of the exact reasons (which make it read more like excuses of varying importances to different people).

If he said "personal commitments" I guarantee people would either accuse him of lying or claim that he is bailing on the Worlds to go party in Vegas or something.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

-Good
-Very Good

Mcdavid
Draisaitl
Nuge
Klefbom
Talbot
Maclellan

He's using a management style of couching everything in positive language. Thus you're rarely going to hear him say a player is really bad. He's going to say something like they haven't been really good yet.

Purposes of this are to;

1)Instill positivity, hope, keep a player or group of players morale on the best possible level.

2) Not tip his hat one way or the other and not wax over a player too much or deride them in any way. Again Chia avoids stating anything other GM's or player agents will be able to use for leverage in negotiations.

3) Maintain positive respect, understanding, and resilience based growth in the agency. With a philosophical belief that player development occurs more in an atmosphere of growth that builds on strengths rather than one that targets weaknesses as Tambo, Lowe, MacT, would be more likely to do.

Last edited:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

I remember thinking, "Great another lazy Russian defenseman that's signing JUST for the money. Exactly what we need."

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Petry was/is garbage. He played like ass here. One season he played well. The rest of the time he was a soft, defensive liability.

I agree with this sentiment. He was an OK 2nd pairing guy who always left me wanting more. He seems to have the skill / size to be a very good player but was underwhelming. In the 28 games after Price got hurt, he went no goals, 6 assists, -11. When the team needed him to step up, he disappeared.

I would love to have him as a complementary 2nd pairing guy but I think the habs are going to regret the 5.5 mill contract.

I wonder if he is any better than Rheinhart right now. Very similar players but vastly different cost

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If he said "personal commitments" I guarantee people would either accuse him of lying or claim that he is bailing on the Worlds to go party in Vegas or something.

I was a bit hard on the lad yesterday when I heard his not going to the WC's but that was based on faulty memory. I thought that he had bailed at least twice before. In reality he's only missed twice now. He has gone 5 times, I thought it was 3-4 times he'd been.
So with that in mind, and last year being the best possible experience for him and Team Canada theres not as much point in him going this year and I retract my Get out statement which was both reactionary and infused with sour grapes about how yet another season has gone here.

That said I do find it a bit funny how players characteristically mumble when they are stating things they know theres no right way to say. For instance at end of interview he either says "I can't go" or "I'm not going" I can't make it out and that's by design. Politicians do the same on iffy points they don't want to be tied down on.

I wish I could mumble in print. I would be wrong less often. :D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree, this is McDavid's team and everyone else is expendable. I of course have attachment to some players, but I could get over just about any move as long as it improves the team and 97's still steering the ship.

Chia specifically mentioned everybody but a couple of players.

Who is the 2nd? imo its either Hall or Talbot. Although in my thinking I have all 3 in there plus Draisaitl at least.

Nugey McNugeson

Nov 24, 2014
Edmonton
I like listening to both TMac's and Chia's pressers because they are actually intelligent and thoughtful and it seems like they actually have a plan for the team unlike the previous regime

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
there was a time I thought Rishaug was really good

That was awhile ago now

Same. Nowadays, keeps pushing an agenda. Same with Gregor but less so.

If I heard it correctly, one of the questions was about sulking?:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2