Garbage Bag Day | Player Exit Interviews

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
"Those three (Hall/RNH/Eberle) wear the Oiler logo on their hearts" - Todd McLellan.

'Bit of a different situation, but they (Hall/Eberle) know how to win - I saw them win at the worlds."

Referenced the Golden State Warriors and KC Royals as teams that went through extended poor stretches but turned it around eventually.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Specifically mentioned Brandon Davidson, Jordan Oesterle, and Iiro Pakarinen as players who 'moved up the organizational totem pole' this season.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Always love these player exit interviews. The pseudo psychology comes out and conclusions are drawn about a persons character based on a 3-5 minute interview. Every year without fail. Good stuff.

Body language posts are always a hi-lite.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Always love these player exit interviews. The pseudo psychology comes out and conclusions are drawn about a persons character based on a 3-5 minute interview. Every year without fail. Good stuff.

Body language posts are always a hi-lite.

Equally puzzling is the entire discounting of how much information is conveyed visually, and non verbally, by humans, on an ongoing basis.

Not the point of this thread, but then again these flippant black and white references are not the purpose of this thread.

Assessment occurs in varied ways and occurs in all our lives without us being even aware of it. Anytime you go to an airport anywhere I guarantee you are being assessed through monitors, customs, agents, etc. All on the alert for suspicious activity of any kind. Just as an example.
Next, anytime you're in a store and can't find assistance just start acting suspicious looking around like you're going to pocket or steal something. Someone will be around to help within minutes..lol

So much critical assessment actually does go down in minutes. Basically any security force being aware of the methodology and training involved in this.

But carry on I guess..

not sure why its considered good sport here to be so critical of other posts or posters.

Last edited:

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I'm still pretty tore up about how Chiarelli should go about improving this team in the offseason. Obviously our D core need to be improved and it's no secret that the best way to go about it is via the trade market. It's who Chiarelli should deal is what I'm still debating over.

Everyone keeps saying that our best option to acquire a top tier dman is by trading either RNH or Eberle. I don't agree. I think our most valuable asset could be the 1st rounder this year, depending on where that pick sits. If we win the lottery and get the 1st pick then I'm all for dealing it. The consensus pick at #1 is Matthews and there's not much debate over it. No doubt Matthews could return the star dman we desperately need. Even more so than RNH or Eberle. I know Maloney in Arizona stated that he wouldn't consider an OEL for Matthews deal, but with Maloney out of the picture I wonder how valid this statement will be with whoever replaces him over there.

If we get the 2nd pick in the draft I'd be ok with keeping it and drafting Laine. It's not that I think Laine is better than Matthews, it's just the problem I have is that if we get the 1st OA and decide to keep it and deal away Eberle for D help, then we really have no one to replace him on RW within the organization.

Lets face it, Yak is our only other option and it's pretty much a given he will be gone. We could look to free agency but it's no secret that Edmonton isn't exactly seen as an attractive destination for free agents as we've seen in the past. If we get the 2nd pick and draft Laine then it would make Eberle expendable if he can be dealt for a player to fill our needs.

With regards to RNH, I just love the thought of having the center depth in which this team has lacked for so many years. And I know a lot of people on here have lost some faith in Nuge but I honestly believe he's not far away from that breakout season we've been waiting for. Even as early as next year if he can stay healthy. I'd also like to keep RNH just in case we see Draisaitl struggle like he did during the second half of this season. Plus TMac even stated that he'd be quite comfortable moving LD to wing if need be, so that leaves even more options. If our #2 center produces as little as Draisaitl did the later part of this year then I think we're in major trouble.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm still pretty tore up about how Chiarelli should go about improving this team in the offseason. Obviously our D core need to be improved and it's no secret that the best way to go about it is via the trade market. It's who Chiarelli should deal is what I'm still debating over.

Everyone keeps saying that our best option to acquire a top tier dman is by trading either RNH or Eberle. I don't agree. I think our most valuable asset could be the 1st rounder this year, depending on where that pick sits. If we win the lottery and get the 1st pick then I'm all for dealing it. The consensus pick at #1 is Matthews and there's not much debate over it. No doubt Matthews could return the star dman we desperately need. Even more so than RNH or Eberle. I know Maloney in Arizona stated that he wouldn't consider an OEL for Matthews deal, but with Maloney out of the picture I wonder how valid this statement will be with whoever replaces him over there.

If we get the 2nd pick in the draft I'd be ok with keeping it and drafting Laine. It's not that I think Laine is better than Matthews, it's just the problem I have is that if we get the 1st OA and decide to keep it and deal away Eberle for D help, then we really have no one to replace him on RW within the organization.

Lets face it, Yak is our only other option and it's pretty much a given he will be gone. We could look to free agency but it's no secret that Edmonton isn't exactly seen as an attractive destination for free agents as we've seen in the past. If we get the 2nd pick and draft Laine then it would make Eberle expendable if he can be dealt for a player to fill our needs.

With regards to RNH, I just love the thought of having the center depth in which this team has lacked for so many years. And I know a lot of people on here have lost some faith in Nuge but I honestly believe he's not far away from that breakout season we've been waiting for. Even as early as next year if he can stay healthy. I'd also like to keep RNH just in case we see Draisaitl struggle like he did during the second half of this season. Plus TMac even stated that he'd be quite comfortable moving LD to wing if need be, so that leaves even more options. If our #2 center produces as little as Draisaitl did the later part of this year then I think we're in major trouble.

Agreed with most of this. With exception that I deal the pick or player picked whether its first or second. I deal it. Reason being we have too much youth we are raising already and in our core. More youth is not only redundant but it contraprepares this team advancing to the next level anytime soon. Each additional youth in the lineup comes with further development growing pains of which we already have too much.

After watching the Chia interview I'm less convinced that the Yak deal is a slamdunk. Chia seems quite clear he isn't willing to except chump change for a young player still very talented and still willing to put hard work in. With injuries, and the Oilers often have them, its good to retain this type of talent rather than just give it away at this contract price. Yak is no longer the GA nightmare that hurts the team. Thing is Chia really needs to sit down with yak and have a long talk about the kid making up his mind.

To me Eberle is out. He's gone, played his last game, and nothing more clear. No knock on the player, but too small for Chia's liking and other than goal scorer not much for intangibles. Eberle has been showcased the last few months on McDavids wing. All this being clear. Should be said as well that McDavids GA and overall play suffered during this period. This not being an ongoing state of affairs the team would want. A more reliable vet will slot in next year with McDavid and Maroon. Maroon sealing the spot with his brilliant play also to me means the 3rd will be a guy with a bit more size ideally able to work with those two. The pair isn't McDavid-Eberle, the pair has become McDavid-Maroon. Chia likes size too much for this not to be irresistible.

Nuge I'm leaning could be gone with the right deal. I've tended that way myself even though I like Center depth but in lieu of the club now having McDavid, and Drai, Nuges contract at some point becomes an issue for someone who in my way of thinking is now slotting in at 3rd. For sure I don't like the reasoning of moving Drai to win. Drai is perfect as it gets here for a WC Center.

Hall stays. I'm pretty clear on that and would disappointed if its not the case. We would dearly miss Taylor Hall in this lineup. moving Hall would just put so much more weight on McDavid to carry this team offensively.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I wouldn't be at all surprised if RNH is kept on and utilized as a Winger/Centre and Eberle is is dealt to improve the back end.

It doesnt make sense to deplete the centre depth that this team waited 5 years to accumulate. RNH is defensibly responsible and he is a solid offensive player as well.
He would be very valuable in the event of an injury down the middle which seems to be a reoccurring theme with this team.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
If we want a big ticket #1 or #2 D, we have to trade one of the $6M guys to clear the cap room.

With Yakupov having low trade value and still on a bridge contract, looks like that has to be Eberle.

So you run:

Hall - RNH - Draisaitl
Maroon - McDavid - Yak
X - X - X
X - X - X

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i get the impression that Chia has a deal or even 2 deals in mind and he knows they are only a matter of time. his confidence is realxing, compared to the earlier regimes lol.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If we want a big ticket #1 or #2 D, we have to trade one of the $6M guys to clear the cap room.

With Yakupov having low trade value and still on a bridge contract, looks like that has to be Eberle.

So you run:

Hall - RNH - Draisaitl
Maroon - McDavid - Yak
X - X - X
X - X - X

Why are we putting limits on how many of the Oilers one dimensional forwards that can be dealt? The Oilers could trade all of Hall/Eberle/Yak/RNH and still be fine building around McDavid, Draisaitl, and a top 5 pick in the top 6.

Your roster looks like what we've tried the last number of years and Maroon is not enough on his own to change much. Plus I don't think we will see a top 6 made up of entirely left handed shooting players.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
i get the impression that Chia has a deal or even 2 deals in mind and he knows they are only a matter of time. his confidence is realxing, compared to the earlier regimes lol.

I dunno, MacT seemed pretty confident Schultz was going to win a Norris. :sarcasm:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Chiarelli is a smart guy. I think it's a given that he has a bunch of plans and fall back plans in place, the first seeing where they land in the lottery. I've got more hope going into next season then i have had in many, many years. I think he'll really do a good job of trying to address the holes.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Why are we putting limits on how many of the Oilers one dimensional forwards that can be dealt? The Oilers could trade all of Hall/Eberle/Yak/RNH and still be fine building around McDavid, Draisaitl, and a top 5 pick in the top 6.

I'm not as sold on Drai as some. You don't write his name in ink as a long term building block until you know he can hack it on his own. That he went into the tank when Hall did when we know #4 has a track record of driving offence is concerning. Yes yes, he's young, but that's why you don't make the same mistake as past regimes and count chickens before they are hatched. Keeping RNH as a safety valve is a good idea.

I'm with Replacement: Eberle is gonzo. Yak might be. RNH and Hall will in all likelihood be here in the fall. No GM is going to gut his roster like that in one off season, no matter how badly some fans might want to sell low.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I'm willing to bet that Drai becomes McD's winger next year if Eberle is moved. He was doing really well on his RW.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm pretty confident in Drai. I think he has the work ethic and intelligence to be a success... of course he still has a learning curve to reach his ceiling but he will be a solid top 6 NHL centre... guaranteed imo.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm not as sold on Drai as some. You don't write his name in ink as a long term building block until you know he can hack it on his own. That he went into the tank when Hall did when we know #4 has a track record of driving offence is concerning. Yes yes, he's young, but that's why you don't make the same mistake as past regimes and count chickens before they are hatched. Keeping RNH as a safety valve is a good idea.

Drai went into the tank when Hall slowed down noticeably. In my opinion, that was due to Hall going completely cold in terms of goalscoring and not because he was necessarily the one driving the offense. I don't remember the exact numbers but I posted on here some month ago that Hall scored like 3-4 goals in 20+ games and in that same stretch Drai scored 6 goals while still being dangerous offensively and setting up other guys. If Drai scores more goals than Hall than something is wrong and I think that was a big part of their line slowing down after their extended hot streak. Of course, down the stretch I think Drai himself really slowed down too, but for a large part of the season he was good to very good even when he wasn't producing as much.

EDIT: Looked it up. There was a period between january and march where Hall had 4 goals in 25 games and in those games he had a 10 game stretch with 0 goals, 5 points and a 5 game stretch with 0 points. In that same period Drai had 7 goals.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Petry was/is garbage. He played like ass here. One season he played well. The rest of the time he was a soft, defensive liability.

Eberle is a liability. A chicken **** player with no heart or try. A me first player that is a cancer. No coincidence this team can't get out of the basement with sad efforts like his on most nights.

I don't think there is anything wrong with him saying no to hockey Canada. He has done more than his share for them in the past. He has earned the right to take a pass.

I cant believe I agree with the liquor man.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm willing to bet that Drai becomes McD's winger next year if Eberle is moved. He was doing really well on his RW.

I remember McLellan being asked recently about Draisaitl as a RW, (can't remember if it was specified to the McDavid line or not) and McLellan seemed like he'd be using him there a lot next year. I took it as a sign that Ebs won't be around.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I remember McLellan being asked recently about Draisaitl as a RW, (can't remember if it was specified to the McDavid line or not) and McLellan seemed like he'd be using him there a lot next year. I took it as a sign that Ebs won't be around.

Assuming Yakupov is getting traded our current right wing depth is Eberle, Pakarinen, Kassian and Cracknell. I don't think Eberle has to be traded for Draisaitl to play a lot of right wing next year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Assuming Yakupov is getting traded our current right wing depth is Eberle, Pakarinen, Kassian and Cracknell. I don't think Eberle has to be traded for Draisaitl to play a lot of right wing next year.

Drai played some RW as did Maroon for a stretch when he played with Hall IIRC. Depending on who we draft and who we trade we could see Drai and Maroon as our top 2 RWers.

Pouliot-McDavid-Draisaitl
Hall-RNH-Maroon

or

Laine-McDavid-Draisaitl :amazed:
Hall-RNH-Maroon
Pouliot-?-Kassian

Those would be pretty well balanced top 6es IMO.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Drai played some RW as did Maroon for a stretch when he played with Hall IIRC. Depending on who we draft and who we trade we could see Drai and Maroon as our top 2 RWers.

Hall-RNH-Maroon

or

Hall-RNH-Maroon
Pouliot-?-Kassian

Or option the third;

Hall-Draisaitl-Nuge
Pouliot-McDavid-Eriksson/ebs/yak
Maroon-Dubois-Pakarinen
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Hall-RNH-Maroon

or

Hall-RNH-Maroon
Pouliot-?-Kassian

LMAO a Laine/McDavid/Drasaitl line would own. Basically have the puck the entire shift. I can only imagine LD on the boards flipping a backhand saucer to Laine in the slot

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I wouldn't be at all surprised if RNH is kept on and utilized as a Winger/Centre and Eberle is is dealt to improve the back end.

It doesnt make sense to deplete the centre depth that this team waited 5 years to accumulate. RNH is defensibly responsible and he is a solid offensive player as well.
He would be very valuable in the event of an injury down the middle which seems to be a reoccurring theme with this team.

Agreed, trading RNH would be the worst thing the Oilers could do unless a top 5 defender is coming back(not named Suban).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad