Garbage Bag Day/Exit Interviews

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I wonder if we'd go after a Kadri?

I'd expect another piece, like a first round draft pick too.

Kadri's downside is he's a bad decision away from being suspended for half a season. But maybe that's where his price is low for the play he brings.

Kadri is just as skilled or more skilled. He plays a tougher brand than what Mony does. I think he'd have the same production or better and likely more consistent playing with a Gaudreau.

Just a thought. I don't know who else is out there that we could get.

If our target is a center that currently is a #3C on his own team.......we may be aiming a little low, no?

We need a legit #1C that plays a heavy game.

I just have no idea how you get one.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
If our target is a center that currently is a #3C on his own team.......we may be aiming a little low, no?

We need a legit #1C that plays a heavy game.

I just have no idea how you get one.

I'd rather have a true #1 C, don't get me wrong. But I think someone with the jam and physical game could help someone like Gaudreau. On skill sets alone, I think Kadri is just as skilled or more skilled than Monahan. Kadri is a 3rd line C on his team because the top 2 are Matthews and Tavares. Also, Kadri's contract is smaller than Monahan's by like 2 mill per.

But if we could, yes, I'd prefer a top 10 C. Maybe we could go after Malkin or Crosby ;)

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I'd rather have a true #1 C, don't get me wrong. But I think someone with the jam and physical game could help someone like Gaudreau. On skill sets alone, I think Kadri is just as skilled or more skilled than Monahan. Kadri is a 3rd line C on his team because the top 2 are Matthews and Tavares. Also, Kadri's contract is smaller than Monahan's by like 2 mill per.

But if we could, yes, I'd prefer a top 10 C. Maybe we could go after Malkin or Crosby ;)

It's a pointless scenario anyway.....I'm pretty sure the NHL wouldn't allow both Chucky and Kadri to be on the same team! :naughty:

I don't disagree that Kadri and Mony are similar in talent levels, I think the advantage goes to Mony, but yes, Kadri's style would be a better fit I think.

All I was trying to get across was that we need a center that is a lot better than Mony. Someone who drives the play. Someone who is relentless on the puck. Someone that can take over a game. You know, all the things that Mony can't seem to be able to do.

But truth be told, they can trade anyone they want not named Tkachuk. That's the type of player we need if we want to compete for something other than the President's Trophy.

I'd be very open to hearing offers for Johnny.....I love the guy, truly, he's the type of player that gets you out of your seat. But we are seeing a trend where he's not getting it done in the playoffs. Can he, sure, we saw it in game 5. Will he, who knows, he seems to lack interest in doing the hard things on most nights.

Not to beat a dead horse, but we had no answer for the Avs, none. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nuthin. We couldn't match their speed, aggressiveness or tenacity on the puck. We need more players like that and less perimeter ones.

Changes need to be made......will be an interesting summer. Tre has some soul searching to do.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Conroy on the Fan960 talking about the playoff loss and other stuff (playoff stuff starts at ~53 minute mark)

The interesting segment starts off with Gaudreau (~1:09:30), basically saying he responded really well in game five, particularly in realizing he's not going to get a call from the refs. Got some scoring chances. Not going to hit people. Johnny can back check, can win one on one's. When he curls up in the playoffs, he has three people converging at him and if Monahan's a step behind, he basically has to throw it away.

Then segways into Monahan right after that. How you need your centre to be the driver of a line, how they need to be in the play. He's had all the surgeries, totally fine this year, but needs a huge summer. Hardest part is to work on things you're not good at. Doesn't care if doesn't shoot a puck at all this summer; all core, strength. Real upright skater; needs better positioning. Would be pumped if he started skating tomorrow. Doesn't like when guys take four months off and then start skating in August. Tkachuk too. Have to figure out how to get to the next step.

Also called Hathaway a valuable piece. Thinks he wants to come back and think they can work something out. Same agent as Fox though.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Conroy on the Fan960 talking about the playoff loss and other stuff (playoff stuff starts at ~53 minute mark)

The interesting segment starts off with Gaudreau (~1:09:30), basically saying he responded really well in game five, particularly in realizing he's not going to get a call from the refs. Got some scoring chances. Not going to hit people. Johnny can back check, can win one on one's. When he curls up in the playoffs, he has three people converging at him and if Monahan's a step behind, he basically has to throw it away.

I noticed this as well. It definitely had a lot to do with him being double and even triple teamed once he'd cross the blue-line, but then, it had to do with no one keeping up with him on the play that he could dish to in what should have been open ice. Not that Gaudreau should be without criticism, but this indeed did happen.

Then segways into Monahan right after that. How you need your centre to be the driver of a line, how they need to be in the play. He's had all the surgeries, totally fine this year, but needs a huge summer. Hardest part is to work on things you're not good at. Doesn't care if doesn't shoot a puck at all this summer; all core, strength. Real upright skater; needs better positioning. Would be pumped if he started skating tomorrow. Doesn't like when guys take four months off and then start skating in August. Tkachuk too. Have to figure out how to get to the next step.

Also called Hathaway a valuable piece. Thinks he wants to come back and think they can work something out. Same agent as Fox though.

Good stuff.

I swear, as is my yearly bit of rant/advice, is that Gaudreau find somehow to put on 5-10 lbs (or more of muscle) and somehow make a way to keep that on for the entirety of the season.

Gaudreau started the year off decently and then went on his tear for the middle portion. But by the end he looked gaunt and like he was 140 lbs.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
It's a pointless scenario anyway.....I'm pretty sure the NHL wouldn't allow both Chucky and Kadri to be on the same team! :naughty:

I don't disagree that Kadri and Mony are similar in talent levels, I think the advantage goes to Mony, but yes, Kadri's style would be a better fit I think.

All I was trying to get across was that we need a center that is a lot better than Mony. Someone who drives the play. Someone who is relentless on the puck. Someone that can take over a game. You know, all the things that Mony can't seem to be able to do.

But truth be told, they can trade anyone they want not named Tkachuk. That's the type of player we need if we want to compete for something other than the President's Trophy.

I'd be very open to hearing offers for Johnny.....I love the guy, truly, he's the type of player that gets you out of your seat. But we are seeing a trend where he's not getting it done in the playoffs. Can he, sure, we saw it in game 5. Will he, who knows, he seems to lack interest in doing the hard things on most nights.

Not to beat a dead horse, but we had no answer for the Avs, none. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nuthin. We couldn't match their speed, aggressiveness or tenacity on the puck. We need more players like that and less perimeter ones.

Changes need to be made......will be an interesting summer. Tre has some soul searching to do.

I truly think Gaudreau has some of the highest skill we've ever seen in a Flames' uniform. I can't justify trading him just yet, as in at least one more year, maybe two (unless for like a McDavid or Crosby maybe).

I've been saying for several years that Monahan isn't a true #1 C. SN even echoed this when they didn't list him in their top 20 Cs prior to last season. I think he does demonstrate high skill over limited stretches, but the long absences year after year of competitive production is deeply troubling. That, and like Conroy states, he doesn't drive the line effectively.

So anyway, I'd like to see Gaudreau with another top NHL C before I pull the plug on him. There's still too much upside yet with Johnny Hockey in my mind.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Hathaway will be back I'd bet. We don't have a surplus of 'heart' guys on this team. More than that though he has carved a real niche on this team in that 4th RW role, he could sign somewhere else for a couple hundred thousand more, but won't have the guarantee of finding that same niche on another team. Will be a cheap contract as well I am sure.

Monahan sounds like he needs to go to the Gary Roberts school of off season training.

Lindholm at C I am skeptical of for 2 reasons. Firstly, can he be a 1C? He had a great season to be sure but didn't to anything to prove he can be that kind of line driver in my opinion. Let's assume that he DOES work as a 1C though and can pot 70 points or so at that position beside Johnny.

The next problem with Lindholm at C is what it does to our RW. Let's assume Frolik is gone as we expect.

Our depth there is:

Bennett
Neal
Ryan (and he really should be at C)
Hathaway

In order words: not good.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Hathaway will be back I'd bet. We don't have a surplus of 'heart' guys on this team. More than that though he has carved a real niche on this team in that 4th RW role, he could sign somewhere else for a couple hundred thousand more, but won't have the guarantee of finding that same niche on another team. Will be a cheap contract as well I am sure.

Monahan sounds like he needs to go to the Gary Roberts school of off season training.

Lindholm at C I am skeptical of for 2 reasons. Firstly, can he be a 1C? He had a great season to be sure but didn't to anything to prove he can be that kind of line driver in my opinion. Let's assume that he DOES work as a 1C though and can pot 70 points or so at that position beside Johnny.

The next problem with Lindholm at C is what it does to our RW. Let's assume Frolik is gone as we expect.

Our depth there is:

Bennett
Neal
Hathaway

When it comes to the right side, let's not forget we still have Czarnik, who could play anywhere on the right side in all honesty. As well, if we assume Frolik is gone it's hard to imagine we won't get a RWer, or someone who can play there, in return for him. With Czarnik, that gives us depth of

Bennett
Czarnik
Neal
Hathaway
Foo(?)

That isn't as bad. There is also a question of if Lindholm would be a 1C, or if he would centre the second line. We could presumably have a top 6 of

Gaudreau - Monahan - Czarnik

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Bennett

That configuration puts is in an awkward spot in the bottom 6, with Jankowski/Mangiapane/Dube being options on the left side.

Mangiapane - Backlund - Neal

Jankowski - Ryan - Hathaway

Backlund has options of Mangiapane with the puck, and Neal has a centre who is skilled at dishing the puck, unlike Jankowski. Jankowski then moves down to reduced minutes that put him with an energy line.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
On the subject of Gaudreau, people forget that he had a very strong game 1, defensively.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

Our depth there is:

Bennett
Neal
Hathaway

I don' consider Bennett to be a RW anymore than I consider Tkachuk as a RW. They both can play there, but they look like a fish out of water. Johnny can play RW too. I'd rather Bennet play C. He's got 4 years of NHL play under his belt now and at age 22, plays a solid 200 ft. game.

I agree Mony needs a strong training off season. Last summer he couldn't as he was re-habbing. He'll come back and I predict he'll be a bit more physical.

Flames RW Depth (assuming no Hathaway and no UFA pick up)
Lindholm (natural C)
Czarnik (natural C)
Neal
Lazar (natural C)
Foo
Gawdin
Robinson
Popisil
Ruzicka
Dube (natural C)

Flames C Depth
Monahan
Backlund
Jankowski
Ryan
Bennett
Lazar
Quine
Dube

Flames LW Depth
Gaudreau
Tkachuk
Bennett (natural C)
Mangiapane
Lomberg
Rychel
Pollock

I've probably left some out and some guys won't be re-signed and I know some guys (Neal) can play LW as well. I would like to see the Flames develop players for the position that they drafted them for. At centre you can get a lot of room to dish out the puck and drive the play. While I prefer the large economy sized C's, smaller guys can excel with all that room. I think Jankowski faltered as a sophomore and played a soft game. For me this means either someone gets in his head as says play like a big man or you replace him with a Bennett, Dube, Czarnik, or Lazar all of whom have more grit, are faster and play much larger than they are. By doing this you open up roster spots where you can either promote (Mangiapane to 3LW) or target a player (say Zucker) by trading a non-essential part (say Frolik) and a roster player (say Jankowski).

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
It’s easy to forget about Czarnik because he plays a very forgettable game.

If he’s part of the solution going forward, it’s a bad thing.

I'd disagree, personally. He's got good speed, played the body in game five, and attacked the net. Even if he's not a flashy player he's got good tools and there's no reason he shouldn't be able to play up.

Reactions: Nanuuk

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I truly think Gaudreau has some of the highest skill we've ever seen in a Flames' uniform. I can't justify trading him just yet, as in at least one more year, maybe two (unless for like a McDavid or Crosby maybe).

I've been saying for several years that Monahan isn't a true #1 C. SN even echoed this when they didn't list him in their top 20 Cs prior to last season. I think he does demonstrate high skill over limited stretches, but the long absences year after year of competitive production is deeply troubling. That, and like Conroy states, he doesn't drive the line effectively.

So anyway, I'd like to see Gaudreau with another top NHL C before I pull the plug on him. There's still too much upside yet with Johnny Hockey in my mind.

I agree completely about Johnny, I just wish he had a little more Iggy or Theo in him. We started seeing it in Game 5 but it was too little too late by then.

They do need to get him an elite center. They need to do what they never did for Iggy, get him a great center. What is it with this organization, we haven't had a great center for 30 years!!

The only way I trade Johnny is if it's for a great package. I wouldn't like it but if it made the team better I'd get on the bandwagon. And yes, I'm mostly referring to getting better in the playoffs.

But what the f*** do I know.....what we are seeing this playoffs, and probably for most of them, is that it takes a lot of things to go right for success in the playoffs. Mainly luck. In our case we seem to always have something go wrong. Last playoffs.....our goalie shit the bed. This year......the entire f***ing team minus Smith shit the bed.

And Connie is right......it takes that special "something" you have to be willing to sacrifice everything to have success in the playoffs. These guys don't appear to have what it takes to run through a wall.

Reactions: Sk8M8

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Just finished listening to the Connie interview.

I rarely laugh out loud at things, like never. I blame it on the CTE.

But when they were talking about how to draw a 5 minute major I literally spit out a little coffee.

Boomer: "Warrener's answer to everything is 'run the goalie'"!

Warrener: "When has running the goalie stopped working"?

Maybe it's because I'm a goalie that it struck a cord.....or maybe it was just the delivery?!?

Craig Conroy is a funny mother f***er.......just the kinda guy you'd like to sit around with and talk hockey or life. Very likable guy.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Craig Conroy is a funny mother ****er.......just the kinda guy you'd like to sit around with and talk hockey or life. Very likable guy.
Totally OT - Can confirm based on a personal experience - Connie is a legit standup dude. I ran into him at Nashville North (at Stampede) a bunch of years ago, said I was a big fan and asked for a picture. He bought me a beer, took a picture with me and chatted about hockey for 10 minutes. Total nice guy who was one of my favorite players growing up.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
One time during the 2008-09 season, my mom and I waited outside the Flames' parking lot after the game trying to get autographs from the players as they drove out. When Conroy drove out, he stopped beside us, rolled down his window and my mom asked "Can I take a picture of you with my son?".

Conroy responded "I'll do you one better". He opens his door, gets out of his vehicle, stands up and puts his arm around me for a picture and then signs both our jerseys.

He'll forever be my favorite hockey guy.

Just an absolute gem of a person.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Just finished listening to the Connie interview.

I rarely laugh out loud at things, like never. I blame it on the CTE.

But when they were talking about how to draw a 5 minute major I literally spit out a little coffee.

Boomer: "Warrener's answer to everything is 'run the goalie'"!

Warrener: "When has running the goalie stopped working"?

Maybe it's because I'm a goalie that it struck a cord.....or maybe it was just the delivery?!?

Craig Conroy is a funny mother ****er.......just the kinda guy you'd like to sit around with and talk hockey or life. Very likable guy.

I don't know why people don't like Boomer and Warrener in the morning. I too find them hilarious with a dash of knowledge (actually more than a dash). I used to listen to them every morning when I lived in Calgary.

Conny is great too. I once was gassing up at that Esso on Crowchild, just north of Memorial. He pulled up in his charcoal Cherokee with black rims and I was like, "hey man" and shook his hand. I said, "you look like you could still play!" He was super friendly, big smile and affable just like he is in interviews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad