Garbage Bag Day/Exit Interviews

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yeah, hopefully this ends the narrative that if Monahan is struggling, it must be because he's injured.

While the whole top line struggled after the all star break, Monahan was clearly the worst of the bunch. Lindholm still, for the most part, excelled defensively while Gaudreau was still creating offensively. And when he was finally moved away from Monahan, the points started coming back too.

Treliving needs to take a good long look at upgrading the top line centre position. Either by using other assets and simply pushing Monahan down to the second line or by directly using Monahan as a trade chip.

Maybe use Lindy at centre? Would be nice to utilize that option when we have it. Would also be cheaper to find a winger than get another centre.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Apparently he got hurt on Dec 31. That was the day we played the Sharks and won 8-5. Maybe he tweaked something in warm-ups or early in the game which affected his play since he gave up some uncharacteristic softies

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

giphy.gif

Are you f***ing kidding me with this shit lmao

This might sound stupid but did we see the purple gatorade after the ASB? Maybe there's some truth the rumors that Monahan and Gaudreau fell out. Even when Gaudreau was getting abused after the whistle in game 5, the best Monahan could muster was a light jersey tug on the Colorado player.

Something tells me this might be the case. Might be what led to Monahan being ****ing useless for the last six weeks. I would just hope that whatever it is, they can put it behind them before next year.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
This might sound stupid but did we see the purple gatorade after the ASB? Maybe there's some truth the rumors that Monahan and Gaudreau fell out. Even when Gaudreau was getting abused after the whistle in game 5, the best Monahan could muster was a light jersey tug on the Colorado player.
Do you remember where you saw the rumours?
I remember one poster said reddit but I could never find them

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Do you remember where you saw the rumours?
I remember one poster said reddit but I could never find them
I remember seeing it on reddit as well. Was in a PGT I think? But it was only one poster speculating (that I saw). I didn’t see anything more than that - so could just be baseless speculation.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Sounds like a nothing burger. If it was the the case they had a 'falling out' then the simple solution from Peters would've been to just deploy them on separate lines and that didn't happen.
Or Peters told them to suck it up and play together because this is a team, not a frat house lol

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Can’t link the tweet cause I’m on my phone.

Peters said he doesn’t think Mony is healthy enough to go to the worlds, but Mony said he has no injuries, so this is very weird

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Maybe use Lindy at centre? Would be nice to utilize that option when we have it. Would also be cheaper to find a winger than get another centre.
Yeah, hopefully this ends the narrative that if Monahan is struggling, it must be because he's injured.

While the whole top line struggled after the all star break, Monahan was clearly the worst of the bunch. Lindholm still, for the most part, excelled defensively while Gaudreau was still creating offensively. And when he was finally moved away from Monahan, the points started coming back too.

Treliving needs to take a good long look at upgrading the top line centre position. Either by using other assets and simply pushing Monahan down to the second line or by directly using Monahan as a trade chip.

From my perspective many around here are way to critical of Monahan and way to lenient with Johnny. To me watching the playoffs Johnny's attitude became my largest concern. He played scared in every game but game 5. Through the first 4 games he whined to a ref almost every shift and when he went back to the bench all there was pouting and temper tantrums. When times got rough Johnny looked defeated and quit skating.

When you look at Johnny's overall game you notice he is the most unwilling player to go into the difficult areas. Areas where Mangiapane, Ryan, and Czarnik (Players of similar stature) go and thrive. Johnny is complete liability on the forecheck and for the 4th straight season he lead all forwards in turning over the puck 124 times. Johnny constantly holds the puck to long.

Johnny has the reputation with officials as whiner and diver. Most crews hate dealing with Johnny and this is a large reason why his penalties drawn has fallen in recent seasons.

The worst attribute with Johnny though may be his poor leadership skills where in no way can he be a role model with the temper tantrums and lack of willingness to change the weaknesses in his game.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Johnny has the reputation with officials as whiner and diver. Most crews hate dealing with Johnny and this is a large reason why his penalties drawn has fallen in recent seasons.

The worst attribute with Johnny though may be his poor leadership skills where in no way can he be a role model with the temper tantrums and lack of willingness to change the weaknesses in his game.
Do you have a source for the above? This seems like 100% opinion, not fact. Does he complain to the refs, sure. But so did Crosby for a long time. It’s not like Johnny doesn’t have a claim to things he’s talking to the refs about. He takes a ton of abuse/slashes etc.

Not sure why this needs to be putting Johnny on blast. They both played poorly and need to do better if we are going to win.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
From my perspective many around here are way to critical of Monahan and way to lenient with Johnny. To me watching the playoffs Johnny's attitude became my largest concern. He played scared in every game but game 5. Through the first 4 games he whined to a ref almost every shift and when he went back to the bench all there was pouting and temper tantrums. When times got rough Johnny looked defeated and quit skating.

When you look at Johnny's overall game you notice he is the most unwilling player to go into the difficult areas. Areas where Mangiapane, Ryan, and Czarnik (Players of similar stature) go and thrive. Johnny is complete liability on the forecheck and for the 4th straight season he lead all forwards in turning over the puck 124 times. Johnny constantly holds the puck to long.

Yeah, we get it, you don't like Gaudreau and will go out of your way to find any excuse for Monahan's soft play. You've made that clear enough.

But see, it's not a coincidence that once Bennett, a player that was actually willing to compete and go to the tough areas to battle, was promoted to the top line that Gaudreau started to get his offensive looks again. It was the same role Lindholm played for most of the season, creating space and drawing defenders away from Gaudreau, at least until he stopped. But by game five it was too late; Gaudreau had wasted away playing with a soft and lackadaisical Monahan for too long and offensive confidence was gone. But hell, Gaudreau looked better playing with Ryan down the stretch and that speaks volumes.

Gaudreau is what he is; a gifted offensive player that's also 5'9" (probably shorter in real life) and 165lbs. He's not going to go into the corners and win battles against 6'0"+, 200lb+ players. It's just never going to happen; it's not his game. He's not going to be a Cammalleri or St.Louis; a stocky mountain tree for legs type of player. But's that okay because of the other stuff he brings to the table; all that greatly outweighs his limitations. And he's shown that at every level of competition outside of the NHL including championships.

The turnover stuff is rubbish. All players who hold the puck more turn it over more. That's just how it works. The leadership stuff is made up by you as usual. The complaining to the refs is true is something he absolutely needs to curtail. But that's also something a lot of better players were just as guilty of (Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, etc.).

The bottom line is that if Monahan isn't going to pull his weight, the Flames need to find someone who will. An actual number one centre that can actually drive a line and won't depend on a 5'9", 165lb player to do all the heavy lifting for him. Monahan is honestly the Bouwmeester of forwards and that's not a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Apparently peters said that they want to try lindy at centre next year? Just reading his off of cp, can anyone confirm he said this on the radio?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames head coach Bill Peters on Sean Monahan/worlds: “I don’t think Mony is healthy enough to go, in my opinion.”

What a twist. Not at all surprising if Monahan was indeed injured and kept mum about it. Very much seems to be his personality.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Do you have a source for the above? This seems like 100% opinion, not fact. Does he complain to the refs, sure. .

The best way to observe this is going to live hockey game an watch the interactions with the officials. Gio, Monny, Hamonic, Neal, and even Chucky chat with the officials most times in a calm manner even when questioning a call. Many times they are just talking with chuckles smiles and so on.

With Johnny almost every time it is a confrontation. Most times the ref skates away rolling his eyes or shaking his head. You wonder why Johnny doesn't get many of the calls? Simple.. he quits playing and immediately chirps the ref. If Johnny kept playing hard after the infraction and didn't chirp immediately he would get more calls.

As to why I am really hard on Johnny right now. For 12 games when a series has got physical Johnny has turned into a defeated pouting child. He has shown no leadership or willingness to push back or even skate for that matter against the adversity in front of him. When the camera points to him on the bench there is no chatting to his teammates- just that stupid scowl on his face as he stares onto the ice. His attitude sucks.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
The best way to observe this is going to live hockey game an watch the interactions with the officials. Gio, Monny, Hamonic, Neal, and even Chucky chat with the officials most times in a calm manner even when questioning a call. Many times they are just talking with chuckles smiles and so on.
So from your observations - you can definitely say that he has a reputation with the refs and that "most crews hate dealing with Johnny". Does that mean you're friends with the refs?

Once again - that's your opinion, so get off your high horse man. You're acting like everyone else here hasn't watched a game live and seen it first hand. I think Johnny does whine too much, but making blanket statements like you're making, and claiming them as fact is ridiculous at best.

Reactions: Calculon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad