Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't usually post in this thread, but:

I'm about to start Fallout 3. Any advice?

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

I struggled the first time I played it, but it was also the first time I really played an RPG of that type (total open world).

From what I remember, stick around Megaton for a while until you have a decent weapon or 2 & are through a few level ups. The first time I just went off in a random direction and got crushed over & over.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I struggled the first time I played it, but it was also the first time I really played an RPG of that type (total open world).

From what I remember, stick around Megaton for a while until you have a decent weapon or 2 & are through a few level ups. The first time I just went off in a random direction and got crushed over & over.
I was doing that then I went in the armoury in Megaton and got killed and I had autosaves turned off to try and head off any bugs

Whoops

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I have a big piece of advice for New Vegas, which may or may not also apply to Fallout 3. That advice is to learn which items were added via DLC and avoid using them. When I played New Vegas a few years ago, the first half of the game was basically ruined for me because a few DLC items were added to my inventory at the very start. Instead of starting out with a pea shooter and no armor, as you were intended, I started out with a rifle and a jacket (armor) that were better than anything that I found through the first half of the game. That both made me overpowered, so there was little challenge to enjoy, and denied me the frequent thrill of finding better items. I was also given a special water flask that automatically refilled itself (or something like that) so I never had to worry about not having water, which partially broke the survival mechanics.

As I suggested, I'm not sure if Fallout 3 has the same problem, but, if you're going to play a version with the DLC included (like the GotY edition), you might want to learn which items the DLC add. If you then notice them in your inventory when you start the game and you care about game balance, you may want to remove them and store them in a container somewhere in the world (simply dropping them on the ground may cause them to eventually disappear), just in case you ever decide that you could use them. Even if you don't choose to follow this advice or it's not applicable to Fallout 3, at least store it away in memory for when you eventually play New Vegas.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I have a big piece of advice for New Vegas, which may or may not also apply to Fallout 3. That advice is to learn which items were added via DLC and avoid using them. When I played New Vegas a few years ago, the first half of the game was basically ruined for me because a few DLC items were added to my inventory at the very start. Instead of starting out with a pea shooter and no armor, as you were intended, I started out with a rifle and a jacket (armor) that were better than anything that I found through the first half of the game. That both made me overpowered, so there was little challenge to enjoy, and denied me the frequent thrill of finding better items. I was also given a special water flask that automatically refilled itself (or something like that) so I never had to worry about not having water, which partially broke the survival mechanics.

As I suggested, I'm not sure if Fallout 3 has the same problem, but, if you're going to play a version with the DLC included (like the GotY edition), you might want to learn which items the DLC adds. If you then notice them in your inventory when you start the game and care about game balance, you may want to remove them and store them in a container somewhere in the world (simply dropping them on the ground may cause them to eventually disappear), just in case you ever feel that you need them. Even if you don't choose to follow this advice or it's not applicable to Fallout 3, at least store it away for when you eventually play New Vegas.
I have the GOTY edition. I don't have any special items.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Just started my first playthrough of Knights of the Old Republic. I just reached the Upper City so I'm only about 45-60 minutes into the game but wow, these controls are stiff. I don't care about the dated graphics or anything but these controls are definitely going to take some getting used to.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Just started my first playthrough of Knights of the Old Republic. I just reached the Upper City so I'm only about 45-60 minutes into the game but wow, these controls are stiff. I don't care about the dated graphics or anything but these controls are definitely going to take some getting used to.
Yeah the controls are my biggest issue going back and trying to play through.

It's such an incredible game though. It'll be worth it.

I picked up Shadow of the Tomb Raider during the BF sales and finally popped it in last night. Only a couple hours in but really enjoying it so far. They did a real good job on the TR reboot trilogy.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I was doing that then I went in the armoury in Megaton and got killed and I had autosaves turned off to try and head off any bugs

Whoops
haha, I should have also advised: Don't do anything illegal until you're very comfortable with your character & it's load-out. Even then, watch out.

My advice still stands, though. And there isn't DLC bonus stuff like they had for NV, so don't worry about that. Those were pre-order bonuses that started getting packaged with the GOTYs for New Vegas. I got a road warrior pass like 2 years after it was released on PS3. It was high rated medium armor, and, as @Osprey said, it ruined my game until I was near New Vegas as it made the game easier & all the early medium armor wasn't better so I wore it for like 20 hours the first time I played. It also gave a grenade launder but I never spec to demolitions so it wasn't super helpful. The armor was though. And it looked good so it was hard to put away.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yeah the controls are my biggest issue going back and trying to play through.

It's such an incredible game though. It'll be worth it.

I picked up Shadow of the Tomb Raider during the BF sales and finally popped it in last night. Only a couple hours in but really enjoying it so far. They did a real good job on the TR reboot trilogy.
I will definitely muscle through even with the bad controls because I have heard nothing but great things. If the original Witcher taught me anything it's that giving up on a game too early because of one thing you have an issue with can make you miss out on an incredible experience.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
God of Smash: Hulk Ragnarok

I gave up on God of War for awhile when Red Dead came out.

I admit I found it beautiful and interesting, but for some reason I can't quite place, I found the combat outside of the boss battles to be a little lackluster.

I picked it up again this weekend, and once I got past Alfheim, the game has really gotten damn good in my opinion. Loving it right now, and really seeing why it won game of the year at the Game Awards.

To be fair, I had to push through the first chapter of Red Dead before I started liking it too. Maybe I'm just impatient. :laugh:

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Just bought Parkitect and my wife and I played for several hours last night. It is exactly like Roller Coaster Tycoon as a kid, but with some fun improvements. I don't think it's as deep as Planet Coaster(I've never played it, just watched a few videos), but for me that's a positive. I love just building the parks, watching the finances, maintaining satisfaction from the customers etc.

One thing I really love about it is that they have pre-made coasters you can choose from just like the old RTC. You have the option to build your own, but I don't have the patience for that so I don't usually bother, I just select a pre-made ride.

We've only played the campaign mode right now, but it's a lot of fun. You go along a set path of parks and have goals that you must accomplish at each park in order to unlock the next one. That, in turn, unlocks each park for Sandbox mode, which I haven't touched yet.

There are fun little elements throughout that make the game more engaging and more fun IMO. For instance, you'll occasionally get a notification that a theme park has closed nearby, and that will draw more customers to your park. Occasionally you'll have a bus full of people dropped off in the parking lot that all enjoy a certain type of ride. If you don't have that type of ride, your park satisfaction will go down a bit. If you do have that ride, you'll get a serious bump. You can have a research team to research new rides, shops, and attractions. They can also do customer research to find out which elements of your park are most appealing. You can start an advertisement campaign that costs some money depending on the type of ad(flyers, billboards, social media, television, radio etc.), but it brings a lot of people to the park.Another little nuance of the title is that you can take out different size loans with different interest rates and pay periods,which allows you to build a huge coaster and then pay it back over time.

The only negative I can come up with is the penalty for guests seeing the infrastructure of your park. For instance, you get a bit of a negative rating if guests can see the bathrooms from other parts of the park. You have to conceal them with trees, rocks, or fences, which I find pretty dumb, but I guess it does give a reason to beautify your park outside of just making it aesthetically pleasing for yourself. You also have to stock all of your shops and food vendors with employees called haulers. If guests can see the haulers bringing the supplies to the various businesses you'll get a negative rating. This one makes a bit more sense because if I was walking through Six Flags I wouldn't really want to see a stack of hot dog buns being wheeled around on a cart throughout the park. You have to conceal the haulers with fences or trees, or you can even build underground tunnels from your supply station to the other parts of the park. That's a bit much to me, but it's pretty much the only negative I can come up with.

There's a lot more to go over, but basically it's casual, silly fun. Only $30 too. I would highly recommend it if you liked RTC as a kid.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Just bought Parkitect and my wife and I played for several hours last night. It is exactly like Roller Coaster Tycoon as a kid, but with some fun improvements. I don't think it's as deep as Planet Coaster(I've never played it, just watched a few videos), but for me that's a positive. I love just building the parks, watching the finances, maintaining satisfaction from the customers etc.

I had my eye on it while it was in Early Access and was excited that it went final a week ago. It's on my to-do-very-soon list. I just want to finish Two Point Hospital first, since they're very similar games. Speaking of which, you two would likely really enjoy that, too, since it's exactly the same kind of game: casual and fun, but with the challenge of balancing money, satisfaction and so on.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Red Dead Redemption 2 - I'm still enjoying it, but there is an extended section towards the end that narratively, could have been cut from the game and probably improved it. It's just an uninteresting slog. Still one of the best games of the year, but I'm not loving it as much as the last one.

Destiny 2: Forsaken - Bungie has done a wonderful job adding a sense of mystery, discovery and accomplishment back into Destiny 2. I'm hooked all over again. I'm still not a huge fan of random rolls, particularly at the top-end of the meta, but whatever, I can deal.

Forza Horizon 4 - Excellent. All I have to say. I love the way the cars feel, I love the environment, I love the changing seasons and the PVE and PVP race challenges. If I'm stressed and just want to unwind in front of the TV, this is my go to. I haven't turned on Netflix in a month thanks to this game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Red Dead Redemption 2 - I'm still enjoying it, but there is an extended section towards the end that narratively, could have been cut from the game and probably improved it. It's just an uninteresting slog. Still one of the best games of the year, but I'm not loving it as much as the last one.

I still think I liked it more than the original, but otherwise I agree entirely.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

You can control your battlefield by sneaking around and using range in your favour. Try not to get surprised and you can pretty much take on just about anything.

I like to build up my small guns skill so I can use VATS because it's a fun and cinematic way to have some encounters at range. Until your skill is high, the percentages for success will be very low so it's not really worth using. Some people prefer not to use VATS but I like it.

Intelligence is the most important statistic because it's where you get your skill points.

With Bethesda games, a rule of thumb is to pick up stuff that is worth 10x the weight - at least at the start, to build up your funds. It helps with decision-making when it comes to what to loot and what not to loot.

Ammo is king so try to have a few different weapons using different ammo types so you have a back-up if/when you run out.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

One spoilery thing to do is to not level your character as much as possible at the beginning.

There are a finite number of levels in the game, so if you hold off (at say level 4 or 5), you get that many more Jedi levels later on.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
You can control your battlefield by sneaking around and using range in your favour. Try not to get surprised and you can pretty much take on just about anything.

I like to build up my small guns skill so I can use VATS because it's a fun and cinematic way to have some encounters at range. Until your skill is high, the percentages for success will be very low so it's not really worth using. Some people prefer not to use VATS but I like it.

Intelligence is the most important statistic because it's where you get your skill points.

With Bethesda games, a rule of thumb is to pick up stuff that is worth 10x the weight - at least at the start, to build up your funds. It helps with decision-making when it comes to what to loot and what not to loot.

Ammo is king so try to have a few different weapons using different ammo types so you have a back-up if/when you run out.
Thank you for this, I'd been struggling with trying to figure out what items to pick up. I remember having this problem when I tried to play it before.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Speaking of Star Wars games, I'm trying to play Jedi Outcasts II and getting whooped. I think the problem is the control scheme, I have a non-gaming mouse with 4 buttons and a wheel plus keyboard so it's problematic.

Also wondering which to get from the Playstation Holiday sale for PS3....already have MGS 3 so was trying to decide between MGS 2 HD and MGS Peace Walker (which was originally a PSP game). And curious of Dragon Age 2 is worth it or not, has middling reviews.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
DA:2 was an interesting attempt at a fantasy narrative in that it takes place over numerous time periods in the same place.

So there is a sense of advancement both in terms of your character and the city itself.

The biggest issue is the recycling of areas for quests and the hordes of enemies which sort of parachute into fights.

While DA:O was more tactical, DA:2 is a bit of a button mashing fest by comparison. DA:I went full open world which watered down a lot of the encounters.

Interestingly, it sort of parallels the ME series in that they got away from the RPG elements (you don’t gear your companions like in DA:O) and went more into the action oriented genre with less pausing and decision making.

Hawke is an enjoyable protagonist and the dialogue is actually pretty funny if you choose the sarcastic options for pretty much all of the conversations.

I would say it’s probably the worst of the three with DA:O heads and tails above the other two. It somehow managed to balance story, character, action and exploration the best.

If you are interested in the world and setting I would say it’s worth a play through. It will eat up hours like any AAA game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad