Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Started playing Witcher 3, this is my first playthrough of the Witcher series and I'm quite disappointed with this, not sure how it got all the hype and praise. I uninstalled after playing for about 10 hours or so. I will reinstall again to give it another shot, but so far I'm not impressed.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Started playing Witcher 3, this is my first playthrough of the Witcher series and I'm quite disappointed with this, not sure how it got all the hype and praise. I uninstalled after playing for about 10 hours or so. I will reinstall again to give it another shot, but so far I'm not impressed.
It has a super long tutorial, basically. Do yourself a favor & don't give up until you get through to the end of the blood baron's quest tree. Once that is done, the game takes off & has another 50-70 hours in it. If you still hate it after finishing that quest, I'd say you gave it an honest shot and it just isn't for you.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I haven't gotten around to The Witcher 3 (or even 2) yet, but I recently almost gave up on The Witcher (1) several times during the first few hours. I'd play an hour, quit, debate uninstalling it, give it one more chance and repeat. That went on for several days. I just wasn't digging it. I stuck it out, though, and am glad that I did because I warmed up to it steadily as the game progressed.

Unfortunately, that seems to be common for story-driven RPGs of the last 10 years. You have to suffer through 5 to 10 hours of tutorial and cinematics to get to the actual game. More recently, Kingdom Come: Deliverance was the same way. I hope that a developer comes along soon to put a stop to this trend of ever-longer tutorials and show the industry a way to have story not come at the expense of early gameplay.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Bought Yakuza 5, Mass Effect 1 (already had 2 and 3 on physical), Bayonetta, and Wipeout HD from a PSN sale a few days ago for $32 CAD. Not bad, mainly Yakuza 5 and Bayonetta for that price are great, other two are a bonus.

Only problem.....I have to buy a new drive cos my system's ran out of space to install Yakuza 5 lol.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Picked up Golf It! with a friend on a whim.

The indiest, earliest accessiest game I've ever played. But fun.

$10 is probably a bit steep, though....

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I love Golf It, it's a ton of fun to play with friends. My main gripe about Golf With Friends is it doesn't have a free cam so you can view the map before putting (unless that has since been added.) There are so many custom maps on the Workshop that you'll have content pretty much forever.

I started playing A Druid's Duel. I remember TB (RIP) reviewing it and he seemed to really enjoy it. I've been looking for a game like this lately where I can play for 5-10 minutes at a time. The game has some cool depth while you control different Druids that have their own abilities to control the map. The more map you control, the more mana you have for abilities. I'm just playing the campaign, I doubt I'll ever give the multiplayer a try if there's even anyone playing it, but it's a lot of fun so far.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I love Golf It, it's a ton of fun to play with friends. My main gripe about Golf With Friends is it doesn't have a free cam so you can view the map before putting (unless that has since been added.) There are so many custom maps on the Workshop that you'll have content pretty much forever.

Yeah, I think the Workshop saves it. Without the workshop, there are only a few maps.

Overall, really fun though....particularly with collision on. :laugh:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Battlefield V. I’ve never really gotten into a Battlefield game before, but I’m an Origin Premier subscriber so I decided to give it a shot and I’m really enjoying it.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It has a super long tutorial, basically. Do yourself a favor & don't give up until you get through to the end of the blood baron's quest tree. Once that is done, the game takes off & has another 50-70 hours in it. If you still hate it after finishing that quest, I'd say you gave it an honest shot and it just isn't for you.

I gave it another go, been playing it more for the past couple of days and it's getting much better. The story is still somewhat underwhelming (Just started the Red Baron quests), but it's getting better.

My issues with this game are the following:
- Controls and gameplay are super clunky, took a while to get used.
- The learning curve is quite steep.
- This is my first Witcher game, so I'm not as connected to the story or characters (It's getting better though).
- The game is somewhat confused, it's massive and kind of an open world, yet it's super story driven. This does not make a good combo imo.
- Takes time to get used to the lore and setting. On the outside people think it's a western RPG, but once you play it, it does not feel like one.

Anywyas, hopefully it get's better as I keep playing it.

Unfortunately, that seems to be common for story-driven RPGs of the last 10 years. You have to suffer through 5 to 10 hours of tutorial and cinematics to get to the actual game. More recently, Kingdom Come: Deliverance was the same way. I hope that a developer comes along soon to put a stop to this trend of ever-longer tutorials and show the industry a way to have story not come at the expense of early gameplay.

I honestly don't mind tutorials if the game grabs me from the get go. I have only seen two companies do this very well, BioWare and Bethesda.

Last edited:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I gave it another go, been playing it more for the past couple of days and it's getting much better. The story is still somewhat underwhelming (Just started the Red Baron quests), but it's getting better.

My issues with this game are the following:
- Controls and gameplay are super clunky, took a while to get used.
- The learning curve is quite steep.
- This is my first Witcher game, so I'm not as connected to the story or characters (It's getting better though).
- The game is somewhat confused, it's massive and kind of an open world, yet it's super story driven. This does not make a good combo imo.
- Takes time to get used to the lore and setting. On the outside people think it's a western RPG, but once you play it, it does not feel like one.

Anywyas, hopefully it get's better as I keep playing it.

I honestly don't mind tutorials if the game grabs me from the get go. I have only seen two companies do this very well, BioWare and Bethesda.
It picks up & all of the good stuff you've heard about the game, the setting/world & the story basically starts with this quest. Honestly, I didn't really like the game when I started (I'm a completionist, and the first area is really boring). But once I got into the meat of this quest, I started really liking the game. Once I finished it, I was hooked & now it's one of my all time favorites.

It's probably the last game I actually finished because I have video game ADD and tend to move on when I'm 80-90% of the way through a game.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Disappointing that there's no real Black Friday sale on any PS3 games on either the US or Cdn play store. But there was an eBay coupon today so I got Far Cry 3 and Alpha Protocol for under $6 each to make me feel better lol.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Taking a break from Far Cry 5 to play God of War.

I just got to Faith Seed's area and was turned off by the zombie dudes. It doesnt quite fit for me. On to God of War. I'll go back to Far Cry in a month or so.

Aside ~ John Seed looks like Tyler Seguin.

efa4ab6fa0c4313a584e4cd39ed5c9a7.jpg
b8b47be2b999353e6904a9e19326bb4d.jpg

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
That's now I felt about 1 and 2. I just didn't feel like I was playing the same game everyone else seemed to be. I'm waiting for 3 to get really cheap in case it happens again.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
That's now I felt about 1 and 2. I just didn't feel like I was playing the same game everyone else seemed to be. I'm waiting for 3 to get really cheap in case it happens again.

I bought it for 20 bucks with all the dlc's on steam, I'm sure it will hit that price again.

It's actually a pretty good game now that I've been playing it more, but still prefer other RPG games over it.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I picked up The Messenger on Steam. I am having a blast with this game! I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone talk about it. It's the best retro style platformer since Shovel Knight. The art style is beautiful, the music is incredible, the gameplay is great, and the humor is even awesome. This is definitely my indie game of the year so far.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Dungeon of the Endless has me addicted. Won my first run yesterday so I’m trying to figure out ways to improve my gameplay now. The soundtrack is so good too

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I started playing Life is Strange for the first time last night. I'm only about a half hour in. I see there's a journal with a lot of reading, is any of that actually necessary? I don't really want to have to go into a game reading an 8 page report on it to understand what's going on.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I started playing Life is Strange for the first time last night. I'm only about a half hour in. I see there's a journal with a lot of reading, is any of that actually necessary? I don't really want to have to go into a game reading an 8 page report on it to understand what's going on.
No. It’s more a recap of what you’ve already done for the most part. There are some details that are told through the journals but you’ll know the story without it.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Currently replaying through RE7. That game is way too short, but it was really good. So hyped for RE2.

Been playing some of The Council. Kind of a story game like the Telltale stuff, but much more in depth. The voice acting and dialogue is a bit cheesy, but still enjoying it so far.

Sprinkling in some AC: Odyssey and House Flipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad