Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
picked up the Mass Effect trilogy...played the first one years ago not sure why i didnt get into it but thought i'd give it another go...glad i did..just started ME 2....i think the difference is i really payed attention to the story , my squad and my character...hooked now

Reactions: NyQuil

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I started playing Mafia 3 and gave up after a few hours. The gameplay is so bland and everything feels so repetitive. I was hoping the story might grip me but when I'm still doing missions of "go here and kill person X" when the open world is boring, cops go after you for doing just about anything, and the driving mechanics are awful, I had to finally give up. I remember loving Mafia 2 too, I even beat it in 1 day which is really rare for me. Oh well, I'll just knock it off my backlog.

I finally started XCOM 2 right after. I had it for a while and I kept coming up with excuses to not start it for some reason, just wasn't in the mood. Even now, I had to force myself to start it. Of course, only 2 missions in, I'm hooked... I knew it was going to happen. I feel like I'm becoming so cynical that I don't even want to start a game because I expect it to be bad but I just need to dive in.

Reactions: Bocephus86

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
update time

Rainbow Six Siege: When I can. less then I want to
TW: Warhammer II: Recently finished all the base TWW1 campaigns and just started TWW2 which is so far alot better
PUBG: whenever my brother tells me to jump on :laugh:
Heroes of the Storm: I still play, but alot less lately. theres been a lull in content that interests me but theres cool stuff announced

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Battle For Azeroth expansion for World of Warcraft is what I have been mainly playing lately.
Hollow Knight is on sale for the Switch, so I'll be diving into that pretty soon.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Really getting my ass kicked by F1 2012 on the PS3 using a dualshock controller. I find the car extremely difficult to control with the dualshock because it's too sensitive, too much oversteer and jitteryness and for some reason, Codemasters don't let you adjust dualshock settings like they do with a wheel.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Really getting my ass kicked by F1 2012 on the PS3 using a dualshock controller. I find the car extremely difficult to control with the dualshock because it's too sensitive, too much oversteer and jitteryness and for some reason, Codemasters don't let you adjust dualshock settings like they do with a wheel.

If it has deadzone you can't change that's probably an issue. Joysticks on gamepads have such limited range as it is, add a 5 to as much as 20% deadzone and it's too hard to make smaller adjustments.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I started playing Mafia 3 and gave up after a few hours. The gameplay is so bland and everything feels so repetitive. I was hoping the story might grip me but when I'm still doing missions of "go here and kill person X" when the open world is boring, cops go after you for doing just about anything, and the driving mechanics are awful, I had to finally give up. I remember loving Mafia 2 too, I even beat it in 1 day which is really rare for me. Oh well, I'll just knock it off my backlog.

I finally started XCOM 2 right after. I had it for a while and I kept coming up with excuses to not start it for some reason, just wasn't in the mood. Even now, I had to force myself to start it. Of course, only 2 missions in, I'm hooked... I knew it was going to happen. I feel like I'm becoming so cynical that I don't even want to start a game because I expect it to be bad but I just need to dive in.

That's a game I always have installed & do my best not to restart, otherwise it'll be the only game I play for 40/50 hours. Now you've reminded me...

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I've got quite the backlog, could use some recommendations on what to play next. Keep in mind that most of these are free from Games with Gold, and that I wouldn't actually go out of my way to buy them.

• Army of Two [360]
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles (China, India, Russia) and Syndicate
  • Assault Android Cactus
  • Back to the Future the Game
  • Bayonetta [360]
  • Borderlands the Pre-Sequel (played the 2nd one and it was alright)
  • Chariot
  • Child of Light
  • Costume Quest 2
  • Crazy Taxi [360]
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Darksiders [360]
  • Dead Space 2 and 3 [360] (played the first one and enjoyed it)
  • Death Squared
  • Dragon Age Origins [360]
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Evolve
  • For Honor
  • Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
  • Grow up
  • Hand of Fate
  • Hitman
  • Killer Instinct
  • Knight Squad
  • Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  • Layers of Fear
  • Lego Indiana Jones 2 [360]
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Metro 2033 and Last Light Redux
  • Mirrors Edge: Catalyst (played for an hour and it was more underwhelming than the original)
  • Monkey Island 2 special edition [360]
  • Murdered: Soul Suspect
  • Outlast
  • Oxenfree
  • Phantom Dust
  • Pneuma Breath of Life
  • Project Cars
  • Rayman Legends and Origins [360]
  • Red Faction Armageddon [360]
  • Runbow
  • Ryse: Son of Roe
  • Shadow Warrior
  • Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition
  • Slime Rancher
  • Speed Runners
  • Splinter Cell Conviction [360]
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed [360]
  • Styx: Master of Shadows
  • Super Dungeon Bros
  • Super Mega Baseball 2
  • Superhot (tried it and thought the gimmick wore off quickly)
  • Super Time Force
  • Tales from the Borderlands: A telltale game series
  • The Escapists
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
  • The Turing Test
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • Tomb Raider: Underworld [360]
  • Trackmania
  • Trials Fusions and Blood Dragon
  • Undertow [360]
  • Vanquish [360]
  • Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown [360]
  • Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
  • Watch_Dogs
  • World of Tanks Mercenaries
  • World of Van Helsing: Deathtrap
  • Worms Battlegrounds
  • ZHeroes
  • Zombi
I'm thinking Metal Gear Solid 5 to start, and either Bayonetta or Vanquish.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ I've been told that if you're gonna play Bayonetta then play the Devil May Cry collection first because it's better (I think the PS2 remaster or whatever it is).

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Just got these PS3 games on eBay for $23 CDN with tax/shipping:

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West (this one's generally a bit more here and was the one I was after)

Saints Row 2

Bulletstorm Limited Edition

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I've got quite the backlog, could use some recommendations on what to play next. Keep in mind that most of these are free from Games with Gold, and that I wouldn't actually go out of my way to buy them.

I'm thinking Metal Gear Solid 5 to start, and either Bayonetta or Vanquish.
Assuming it's the more recent shadow warrior, I'd go with that. I've finished it 3 times, it's a fantastic game. Fast paced gameplay, but with a lot of strategy in which enemies you prioritize, and which tools you use. It's amazing. The story is surprisingly good, as is the banter between the main character and another who starts helping you early on.

I'd also highly recommend the sequel.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

XCom is just straight up a ton of fun. Thinking about it a different animal since that leads you to think about all the annoyances (RNG, cheap deaths etc...) but once you are in it, none of that matters. What matters is getting that flanking shot on that POS alien scum bag and that fist pump that comes after taking it down. YEAH!

• Dead Space 2
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Hitman
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Metro 2033 and Last Light Redux
  • Monkey Island 2 special edition
  • Rayman Legends and Origins
  • Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition
  • Vanquish
  • Watch_Dogs
Out of your list those are the games I've played and enjoyed. MGSV is easily the best one on the list, it's a really good game (with a bad plot and a lot of little annoyances like how long it takes to get to a mission or to unlock upgrades) but you gotta be careful to not brute force it.

By brute forcing I mean finding the best way to complete it and sticking to it. The best way to play that game is to capture everyone you see by using tranquilizer guns but if you stick to it it won't be a lot of fun, the way you'll have fun is by trying out all the whacky stuff you can think of.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I tried out Not Tonight, liking the idea of another Papers, Please.

Unfortunately, it didn't really grab me. It's got great pixel art and is a much longer game, but I think it lacks the narrative strength of Papers.

Originally I thought a longer game would be a good idea, but I'm starting to realize Papers, Please was probably the perfect length....

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I tried out Not Tonight, liking the idea of another Papers, Please.

Unfortunately, it didn't really grab me. It's got great pixel art and is a much longer game, but I think it lacks the narrative strength of Papers.

Originally I thought a longer game would be a good idea, but I'm starting to realize Papers, Please was probably the perfect length....

Papers, Please has a very, very tight gameplay loop, I can see how making a similar game longer could play against it.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Papers, Please has a very, very tight gameplay loop, I can see how making a similar game longer could play against it.

Papers Please came out when I was doing a full time job that was literally Papers Please. so while I appreciate that it was a good game, I never got into it :laugh:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Octopath Traveler, Into the Breach, Battle Chef Brigade and Battle Chasers: Nightwar on the Switch.

Ni No Kuni II on PS4

HITMAN on PC.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Just downloaded Donut County, sluggish on my old (new to me) Mac, hopefully runs better on my newer PC laptop (that's what I love about Steam downloads), and of course, it will run fine on my desktop, but it looks like a good time waster.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
1040642-youshallbeasgods.jpg

Xenogears (PSX) About 10 hours in

i-dont-want-to-farm-in-stardew-valley-so-i-didnt-and-still-had-fun-915-body-image-1458070712-size_1000.jpg

Stardew Valley (Switch) 10 hours in

tumblr_p18mq4GcUN1tt9wn1o1_1280.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) 60 hours in

snatcher_2.jpg

Snatcher (Sega CD) Just started

YAKUZAKIWAMI_20170820002328_thumb.jpg

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) 5 hours in

I usually have about 5 at once going to keep things fresh. But it's tough to not jump into more. I just found out my laptop can play Wii games pretty well so that's a generation of Nintendo games I missed that I can catch up on. Plus, I started Snatcher after getting hyped for Cyberpunk, but it's also kind of made me want to play the Witcher again despite a backlog...

Stardew has been great with a newborn, easy to pick up and play for a few minutes at a time.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Trying to decide if I should play College Hoops 2k8 or NBA 2k11 or 2k14 on the PS3...not a huge basketball fan but do enjoy the games.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've started playing Two Point Hospital, which was released a few days ago. It's the spiritual successor to Theme Hospital, created by two of the original developers, and is almost exactly like that classic, only modernized. I'm only a little bit in, but, so far, it's everything that I would've expected. Supposedly, this is the start of a franchise inspired by old Bullfrog games, so a Two Point Park (Theme Park modernized) could be their next game. Anyways, if you have fond memories of Theme Hospital (or just like "tycoon" games), you might care to check this out.

ss_730ffaa53e8ab770853dfa900c44680bba605d6d.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Console player finally getting a shot at Divinity original sin 2. Man this game is incredible.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm rapidly approaching the end of Prey. It's always sad when I know I'm at the end of a game I like this much. I really like how your play style can change over the course of the game and what resources you have. I started off very stealthy and avoided enemies as much as possible. Then went into more of an ambush hunter type style, using turrets and typhon lures to draw enemies into bad situations. Now that I'm fully kitted out for death I just go in guns blazing.

I have Doom next on my list, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad