Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm almost done with Sniper Elite 4. It's actually really well done, I still think the original is my favorite, even with it being so dated, but 4 is definitely better than 2 & 3 IMO. It's in the humble bundle monthly. If you enjoyed any of the Sniper Elites, pick it up. The maps are huge and map design is great. The stealth can feel a bit clunky at times but they don't force you into close quarters combat like 2 & 3 did. It's really hard to remain stealthy and stealth can feel a bit clunky at times but I actually feel like a bad ass sniper in WWII this time around.

I've been playing on easy just because my backlog is so damn long and I don't have the patience for a longer stealthy game right now. I still try to remain stealthy, it's just being spotted at even normal difficulty is incredibly punishing. The game is pretty short if you rush through it, I'll probably finish it in 5-6 hours, but if you want to play more seriously and go after all the objectives, I see no reason why this game wouldn't last you 10-15 hours or even longer.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
mUmnFTB.png

Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Wolfenstein: The New Order

I didnt know any specifics about the game so was pleasantly surprised at the setting. I picked up all the current gen Wolf games last week so I'll e playing through the series for the next few weeks

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Just started getting back ito Persona 5.
Picked up Yakuza 0 yesterday.

Also playing a bit of Cities: Skylines and Fallout: Sglter to break up the overwhelming Japanese-ness.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
might wanna ramp up the difficulty level as you proceed through the wolfenstein series...enjoyed the story and gameplay tho

Ill probably play it again at a higher level. Im quite content with the difficulty at normal at the moment. Im not a huge FPS player anymore, so im finding it just right

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'm getting an IPS monitor for my PS3 to replace an old big-screen CRT this weekend so I can finally stop playing PES 2017 repeatedly and start on my giant back-log of 40ish games.

Highlights on it are some of these, no idea where to start, probably will go with Sleeping Dogs, one hack and slash game like Metal Gear Revengeance, and try out an RPG for the first time like Skyrim and the usual sports games (probably either NHL 2k10 or NHL Legacy, NBA 2k14, FIFA 13, and F1 2012):

Bioshock
Mass Effect 2
Skyrim
Metal Gear 4
Metal Gear Revengeance
Diablo 3
Fallout 3
Assassin's Creed Rogue (this might be a bit stale after playing 2 of the other 3 AC games)
Batman Arkham Origins (seems stale compared to Arkham City)
XCom
Borderlands 1 and 2
God of War 3
Valkyrie Chronicles
Star Wars the first one (not lego)

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Been getting heavy into my Switch. That is literally the perfect console for me right now.

I bought a flexible arm that attaches to my bedside table, I hook the Switch to it and just lay in bed at the end of the night where I'd normally be at my PC and play Switch while relaxing.

Switch games I've been playing at least a few minutes of pretty regularly:
Battle Chasers: Nightwar - now the third platform I've bought this game on in the last year

Never Stop Sneaking - Really neat game. Writing is actually pretty funny too, which is rare for me.

Octopath Traveler - The Switch is just perfect for JRPGs, IMO.

Tiny bits of Xenoblade 2 and Battle Chef Brigade.

Been playing some Frostpunk on PC and Ni No Kuni II on PS4.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm getting an IPS monitor for my PS3 to replace an old big-screen CRT this weekend so I can finally stop playing PES 2017 repeatedly and start on my giant back-log of 40ish games.

Highlights on it are some of these, no idea where to start, probably will go with Sleeping Dogs, one hack and slash game like Metal Gear Revengeance, and try out an RPG for the first time like Skyrim and the usual sports games (probably either NHL 2k10 or NHL Legacy, NBA 2k14, FIFA 13, and F1 2012):

Bioshock
Mass Effect 2
Skyrim
Metal Gear 4
Metal Gear Revengeance
Diablo 3
Fallout 3
Assassin's Creed Rogue (this might be a bit stale after playing 2 of the other 3 AC games)
XCom
Borderlands 1 and 2
God of War 3
Valkyrie Chronicles

If you've never played Bioshock, that's gotta be where you start, IMO.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Started replaying Space Rangers HD: A War Apart (basically a patched and expanded Space Rangers 2).

God I love this game. So much charm, so fun. Translation is a bit wonky at times, but f*** it - this is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bioshock
Mass Effect 2
Skyrim

Metal Gear 4
Metal Gear Revengeance
Diablo 3
Fallout 3
XCom
Borderlands
1 and 2
God of War 3
Valkyrie Chronicles

Games I played (underlined), Games I really liked (bold).

Fallout 3 and Skyrim are essentially the same, so as you say, play one. I'd suggest that they are better when they are modded, and they both have a raft of mods to support that.

As others have likely pointed out, Bethesda games rely on the player to fill in some of the gaps because they are very open world. You can avoid the entire main plotlines if you wish - some people like the freedom and others find the emotional impact is lessened because it's up to you to create the overall story in the order that you want.

X-Com is a strategic overlay with turn-based combat and it's really more like a board game experience. The pacing can be slow and methodical (which I like) but it's not for everyone.

Mass Effect 2 is sublime but I wonder if it would have the same impact without playing ME first (warts and all). It's story first but with slick production values. It's a little more on rails than ME (more of a shooter than a RPG). I'd argue that ME3 had the best balance. It's probably one of the best character-driven games I've played. Lots of conversations required.

Bioshock is a straight shooter with an interesting setting and storyline.

I'd say that the Bethesda games are the biggest time sinks whereas the others are a little easier to complete in a reasonable amount of time.

I beat Diablo 3 but I can't say I really liked it. I found the story rather thin and the gameplay repetitive. And I've tried a number of Assassin's Creed-type games (like Arkham Asylum too) and it's just not for me.

I'd play Borderlands 2 over Diablo 3 but I played it with a buddy which certainly helped. There isn't a lot of development in the characters (each character has one special move and that's it) or variety in the combat but it is an extremely funny game. They are both loot-centered games though. The BL2 storyline is infinitely better.

I played a fair amount of Sleeping Dogs (10-15 hours) and I never really warmed up to it. I think for the same reasons as AC or the Batman games. A lot of combo-centered combat which as a mouse-keyboard guy, I"m not really into.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nalens Oga

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'd play Fallout 3 first out of those games, that was the most impressive to me. Not sure if it's aged well, but I enjoyed it more than Skyrim...for some reason, I enjoyed Oblivion over Skyrim too (not the gameplay, but I found the storyline and guilds were more interesting).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you've never tried an RPG before, it might be good to play BioShock and/or Borderlands first. Both are more of shooters, but do include some RPG elements. They'd be like dipping your toes into the genre. Afterward, if you move onto Fallout 3 or Skyrim, a number of things will feel familiar to you, so there'll be less chance of feeling overwhelmed.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
X-Com is a strategic overlay with turn-based combat and it's really more like a board game experience. The pacing can be slow and methodical (which I like) but it's not for everyone.
Point of order - I believe you're confusing X-Com with XCOM. X-Com is one of the greatest games ever created. XCOM is some streamlined crap devoid of challenge and charm.

Reactions: SniperHF

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Point of order - I believe you're confusing X-Com with XCOM. X-Com is one of the greatest games ever created. XCOM is some streamlined crap devoid of challenge and charm.

I liked the reboot personally, and I put a ton of time in UFO Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I liked the reboot personally, and I put a ton of time in UFO Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep
I hear the second one with the expansion is okay. I hated the first one.

I want a good remake of X-Com: Apocalypse. I haven't tried out the OpenApoc project yet to see if it's any good.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I want a good remake of X-Com: Apocalypse. I haven't tried out the OpenApoc project yet to see if it's any good.

The second one is a bit streamlined with more emphasis on combat and gameplay. There are no interception missions for example, but I do miss capturing aliens as opposed to just autopsies.

There’s more replayability in the second one with the random elements. The War of the Chosen expansion is pretty neat.

The first X-Com doesn’t switch things up as much. I’ve put more hours in the sequel.

Apocalypse was definitely well ahead of its time - some have speculated that the series has to go there or some kind of human invasion of an alien world storyline if they decide to continue.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Playing Shadow of War for some reason...

It's fun but it's really by the number and filled to the brim with minor annoyances.

I got it for 15 dollars so I'm not too unhappy but yeah, definitely not that great. I'd give it a 6/10 right now, the devs are talented but don't seem to know much about game design in terms of player progression.

Pet peeve: I can inverse the Y axis but not the X (got it on PS4). This is beyond ****ing stupid.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

X-Com 2 with War of the Chosen is probably one of the better games in the genre at this time. Then, if you really like the hardcore stuff, you can get the Long War mod and while I'm not into it, people who do really like it.

The 2012 reboot was pretty safe and narrow. 2 with War of the Chosen is definitely more broad but doesn't quite reach the depth of the original franchise (which I think is fine because the original games were a bit of a nightmare honestly)

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
X-Com 2 with War of the Chosen is probably one of the better games in the genre at this time. Then, if you really like the hardcore stuff, you can get the Long War mod and while I'm not into it, people who do really like it.

The 2012 reboot was pretty safe and narrow. 2 with War of the Chosen is definitely more broad but doesn't quite reach the depth of the original franchise (which I think is fine because the original games were a bit of a nightmare honestly)
Chris-Pratt-Middle-Finger.gif

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I don't mean a nightmare in a "they weren't any good" and maybe I was too young for them (I got the original XCom when I was like 11 years old and still learning English), I remember having a hell of time figuring what was going on.

Maybe I should give them a try now.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I never played the original XCOM, but I thought the new ones would be a slam dunk for me. Really cool sci-fi setting with strategy?

Unfortunately, I quickly learned that I am not built for that level of RNG frustration. :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't mean a nightmare in a "they weren't any good" and maybe I was too young for them (I got the original XCom when I was like 11 years old and still learning English), I remember having a hell of time figuring what was going on.

Yeah, quite a few 90s strategy games were like that. There were no in-game tutorials back then. Instead, they supplied you with a manual and expected you to read it. If that wasn't an option (because you couldn't understand the language or you "borrowed" the game), you could become really lost.

Maybe I should give them a try now.

OpenXcom is pretty neat. It's an open-source clone of the original game. It looks and plays the same, except that it's a native app for Windows/MacOS/Linux/Android/more (so, no messing with DOSBox) and has several modern conveniences, like allowing you to click and drag on the globe to rotate it (rather than having to use the clunky directional control buttons) and not requiring you to completely re-equip your squad before every mission.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Salt & Sanctuary on the Switch. I really like it now that I have a proper build. I screwed up my first character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->