Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Two Point Hospital is amazing. I wasn't gonna buy a single game until 2019 due to my excessive backlog and tendency to not finish games at all.
Decided to make an exception for TPH.
Also playing:
Subnautica. So gorgeous. And scary. Getting close to finishing it, just need another blueprint or two. VERY excited for the DLC or whatever it is.
Seven: The Days Long Gone. Just started. Seems fun and challenging.
Darkwood: Scary. Like for real scary.

My backlog:
AC Origins
Borderlands 2 (played 5-6 hours)
Firewatch
Frostpunk
Jalopy
The Long Dark (waiting for updates though)
No Man's Sky
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Thief
Watch Dogs 2

So, I need more free time and less work.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Two Point Hospital is amazing. I wasn't gonna buy a single game until 2019 due to my excessive backlog and tendency to not finish games at all.
Decided to make an exception for TPH.

I usually play two or three games of different genres at the same time and had just gotten into a pretty good strategy game when Two Point Hospital dropped and messed up my plans. The other game is now on hold. TPH is super addictive and satisfying. I can play it for hours and lose track of time, and I'm actually a bit sad when I leave each hospital to start from scratch again.

Vikke said:
Also playing:
Subnautica. So gorgeous. And scary. Getting close to finishing it, just need another blueprint or two. VERY excited for the DLC or whatever it is.

It's crazy that No Man's Sky was released two full years ago and is still $59.99 on Steam, while Subnautica was released only this year, is a much better game (in my experience and with 93% vs 47% user scores) and is now only $24.99.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Still playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope Remaster on PS4

Picked up Borderlands: The Handsome collection on Saturday and have been making my way through Borderlands 2

Also picked up on a 3 for 25 sale at gamestop, The Order: 1886, Final Fantasy Type 0, and Fallout 4.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Currently taking another dive into Dragon Age: Inquisition. Which I feel like is a really underated game. Maybe got too much hype for its own good. I love the gameplay for it and the skill systems. I never got around to playing the DLC, so thats the goal this time through.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Currently taking another dive into Dragon Age: Inquisition. Which I feel like is a really underated game. Maybe got too much hype for its own good. I love the gameplay for it and the skill systems. I never got around to playing the DLC, so thats the goal this time through.

Do you need to play Origins before it to enjoy it as much?
I own both Origins and Inquisition, but I'm wondering if it's better to just jump straight into Inquisition.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I own both Origins and Inquisition, but I'm wondering if it's better to just jump straight into Inquisition.
I've never played Origins (I tried, but couldn't get past the dated graphics), but I've heard almost universally that it is better to play Origins first. Its considered a better game if you don't mind that its a bit old and dated.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Inquisition leans heavily on characters and events from both games, but I think it's self contained enough to still be a good experience. That said, there will be reveals and character development you won't catch without knowledge of the previous games.

Origins does build the world for you and DA2 ties directly in (particularly the DLC) so if you're interested in more back story, that's where you'll find it. DA2 is universally considered the bad game of the trilogy, but I thought it was decent myself....particularly if you play with the sarcastic dialogue choices.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I picked up Yoku's Island Express yesterday during Chrono's deal of the day. I heard about it a while ago and it was $12. I'm in the mood for something more casual so I picked it up. I'm really enjoying it. It's a metroidvania adventure game but the gameplay is all pinball. The story and aesthetic is nice and really casual. It's definitely a unique experience and there's some cool secrets you can find. I'm surprised at how well done the game is considering I haven't heard anything about it other than when I first heard about it months ago.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I figured this wasn't worth it's own thread but I've been really hankering for a good racing game. I loved Gran Turismo 3/4 in the PS2/3 generation and I'm looking for something like that: robust offline (Career) mode, having a garage, tuning etc. Ideally with a wide range of cars, not just super cars. I have PS4, Switch & PC. Is there anything that is like that anymore? Everything seems to be online focused that I can find, or there is no garage type feature. I'd prefer the driving to be more on the realistic side but not a true driving simulation, as I am kind of bad, so arcade-y is OK by me.

From what I can find, Gran Turismo Sport seems to be online focused, and 6 is only on PS3. Am I wrong on either of those?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I always felt the Codemasters racing games were a pretty good mix of sim and arcade racer. Not overly realistic but definitely not an arcade racer. Grid, Dirt, & F1 depending on what your style is. I don't really remember what the garage is like in them though to be honest.

I just started Redout, it's only $8 on Chrono.gg right now. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's like Wipeout or F-Zero. I've been meaning to buy it for a long time now, $8 seems like a good price adn the time is right for me while I'm kind of in between games.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Just finished Borderlands 2. Was a lot of fun. Going to do another play through on True Vault Hunter Mode but need a break. I picked up The Order: 1886 at GameStop for $9 and I am not sure how I feel. I am about 2 hours in. The game itself is absolutely beautiful but it just isn't that much fun. Going to give it another try today and see if it picks up at all.

If not, I also snagged FF Type-0 and Fallout 4 and will be giving those a try instead.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Having never played it before, I decided to give Rise of Nations a spin (literally as in with an old disc copy)

Must say I'm not terribly impressed so far. It's like AoE if you added a bunch of extra layers on to it that don't actually make it more fun just more convoluted. And the actual tactile satisfaction from the combat is substantially inferior.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I figured this wasn't worth it's own thread but I've been really hankering for a good racing game. I loved Gran Turismo 3/4 in the PS2/3 generation and I'm looking for something like that: robust offline (Career) mode, having a garage, tuning etc. Ideally with a wide range of cars, not just super cars. I have PS4, Switch & PC. Is there anything that is like that anymore? Everything seems to be online focused that I can find, or there is no garage type feature. I'd prefer the driving to be more on the realistic side but not a true driving simulation, as I am kind of bad, so arcade-y is OK by me.

From what I can find, Gran Turismo Sport seems to be online focused, and 6 is only on PS3. Am I wrong on either of those?
No. GT Sport is still great fun even though it fulfils pretty much none of your criteria. If you can play it on PC then Assetto Corsa might be your best bet, there's a lot of mods and extra content for it. Sadly there's few racing games nowadays that come close to the combination of cars/races for them that Gran Turismo 2/3/4 had.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Having never played it before, I decided to give Rise of Nations a spin (literally as in with an old disc copy)

Must say I'm not terribly impressed so far. It's like AoE if you added a bunch of extra layers on to it that don't actually make it more fun just more convoluted. And the actual tactile satisfaction from the combat is substantially inferior.

I played Rise of Nations when it came out and wanted to like it, but it just didn't grab me. That was despite the fact that Civilization and Age of Empires are two of my all-time favorite games and a blending of the two should've been right up my alley. It was probably partly from what you said, that the extra layers made it more complex, but not any more fun. I guess that doing two sub-genres in an OK fashion simultaneously isn't as appealing as doing just one excellently. I've always wanted to go back and give the game another chance, since lots of people do swear by it, but your impression isn't exactly filling me with hope that I'll be more impressed the second time.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Picked up NBA 2k18 yesterday at gamestop for $10. Wow. That game is superior to NHL 19 in every way. The my career is ridiculously fun.

Debating what to start next, FF Type 0, Fallout 4, The Fractured But Whole or Octopath Traveler.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Started playing my SNES Classic again - right now I'm playing Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island. I feel like I've done myself a disservice as I have never completed either one of these games (played a bunch of Yoshi's Island as a rental when I was younger; I played Super Metroid on my Wii about 10 years ago and got around 70% of the way through and then got stuck on something. I forgot how great Super Metroid feels and how the game grants you a fair amount of freedom near the beginning. My only issue with the game so far is that it's not very obvious to use 5 missiles to open the pink doors. What stands out most for Yoshi's Island is definitely the music and art style.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Fired up Empyrion Galactic Survival for the first time. Played for about 10 minutes with god awful FPS. Everything pretty much defaulted to ultra video confit.

First tried to tweak some graphics settings. Read reports from people with much better GPU’s then my five year old gtx 660 complaining about performance and decided I’ll have to set this game aside until they both optimize their graphics and I buy a new GPU.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm finally getting around to

Batman: Arkham Knight - After finishing the other 3 in the series (on my middle-of-the-road "gaming" PC) I took a lengthy break from Batman, and last week started playing Arkham Knight on my PS4. (Which has been in my backlog since a WB sale ~December 2016.) I have to say, it's my favorite of the series for sure, and definitely the most polished. The Batmobile is an awesome addition, I think, and the game doesn't bombard you with side missions right from the jump.

The combat and gadgets are polished and seem a little fresh from the last 3 installations of the Arkham series. They definitely took pieces from the first 3 games and slid them together perfectly to come up with Arkham Knight. The attention to detail in the game is really great, it's visually a beautiful game that captures the darkness of Gotham City.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Picked up NBA 2k18 yesterday at gamestop for $10. Wow. That game is superior to NHL 19 in every way. The my career is ridiculously fun.

Debating what to start next, FF Type 0, Fallout 4, The Fractured But Whole or Octopath Traveler.
I picked up FF Type-Zero on sale a long time ago and haven't even take it out of the cellophane yet, lol.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'm finally getting around to

Batman: Arkham Knight - After finishing the other 3 in the series (on my middle-of-the-road "gaming" PC) I took a lengthy break from Batman, and last week started playing Arkham Knight on my PS4. (Which has been in my backlog since a WB sale ~December 2016.) I have to say, it's my favorite of the series for sure, and definitely the most polished. The Batmobile is an awesome addition, I think, and the game doesn't bombard you with side missions right from the jump.

The combat and gadgets are polished and seem a little fresh from the last 3 installations of the Arkham series. They definitely took pieces from the first 3 games and slid them together perfectly to come up with Arkham Knight. The attention to detail in the game is really great, it's visually a beautiful game that captures the darkness of Gotham City.

My only knock on the game was that it didn't offer many good boss battles. That was my favourite part of Asylum, which to me was the best one of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad