Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
My only knock on the game was that it didn't offer many good boss battles. That was my favourite part of Asylum, which to me was the best one of the series.
Yeah, Asylum was incredible in that regard for sure. Boss fights on boss fights.

I'm a sucker for the batman universe, so I loved the lore of all the bosses and whatnot. I thought the Evidence room at GCPD was a beautiful touch in Arkham Knight.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
About to get stuck into the Forza Horizon 4 demo. And the full game is now in preload. Anyone getting it this year?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I started Slay the Spire and beat my very first game. It's a pretty cool rogue-like card game where you build a deck and fight monsters until you reach the top of a tower. I definitely recommend it if you like card games.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
So I just finished Witcher 3s Blood and Wine DLC

Must be couple of years now, I bought The Witcher games, all 3, on a Steam sale. Never got to playing them, except trying 3 just to see how my PC could run it. Poorly.

Fast forward to this spring, I had upgraded my PC and bought a pretty new monitor. Lo and behold, I could run Witcher 3 on Very High to Ultra settings, on a 32" curved monitor. So I started playing it.

Pretty soon, I had fallen in love. With the world, the characters, the writing, the graphics. I started the game not caring about anything, by the time I got to Novigrad the first time I was calculating every single choice I was making, even savescumming my way to better resolutions.

I think I got the happy ending, except my Geralt is a loner to the end. Apparently good and happy ending are two very different things in the game (of course they are). Went through Hearts of Stone like an addict goes through a needle.
Except at a point I realized I'm slowing things down. Not rushing anything. I cleaned up after HoS for maybe 20 hours, because I didn't want to start Blood and Wine. Wanted to save it for later.

Well now it's done. And even though I had spoiled parts of B&W for myself, I was all over in bitch tears by the end.

I feel so empty. And what eats me inside is I never played 1 and 2. Might be something I regret for a long, long time.

All I do nowadays is iRacing.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Played about 30 minutes of God of War 3. Then deleted it. Just can’t do QTE. Never played any in the series before, but the new one interests me, so when I saw this is a free one I thought I would try it out. Are the previous games just an introduction to the character or are they also an introduction to game play too?

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Currently taking another dive into Dragon Age: Inquisition. Which I feel like is a really underated game. Maybe got too much hype for its own good. I love the gameplay for it and the skill systems. I never got around to playing the DLC, so thats the goal this time through.

Updating this, I've now got the Dragon Age itch after beating DAI and the DLC. I've started playing Dragon Age: Origins. I really, really don't enjoy the combat (pausing and having to control party members - you could ignore that in Inquisition), but the game and story itself are just great. I had to restart the game about 7 times until I got far enough that I was enjoying myself, but really starting to understand the hype about this game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Updating this, I've now got the Dragon Age itch after beating DAI and the DLC. I've started playing Dragon Age: Origins. I really, really don't enjoy the combat (pausing and having to control party members - you could ignore that in Inquisition), but the game and story itself are just great. I had to restart the game about 7 times until I got far enough that I was enjoying myself, but really starting to understand the hype about this game.

If you take the time to set-up the behaviour of your companions using the programming language, and it takes a little trial and error, you gain immense satisfaction from seeing them respond to changes on the battlefield and act accordingly.

IF THEN type stuff.

It's a much more powerful tool than the one employed in DA:I where you just pick their favourite actions or exclude specific actions.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Played about 30 minutes of God of War 3. Then deleted it. Just can’t do QTE. Never played any in the series before, but the new one interests me, so when I saw this is a free one I thought I would try it out. Are the previous games just an introduction to the character or are they also an introduction to game play too?
This is the one thing that turned me off of the God of War games... QTE annoy the piss out of me.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
If you take the time to set-up the behaviour of your companions using the programming language, and it takes a little trial and error, you gain immense satisfaction from seeing them respond to changes on the battlefield and act accordingly.

IF THEN type stuff.

It's a much more powerful tool than the one employed in DA:I where you just pick their favourite actions or exclude specific actions.

Yeah, I've been playing around with that and it looks like it'll be much easier to give them scripts once they have more skill points and I can invest in that skill that gives them more lines of script (I think its called tactics or something?). I've just got basic ones so far like drink potion when under 50%, heal ally when under 75%...etc. I need to sit down and find somewhere that has a nice set I can just copy to each of my members.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, I've been playing around with that and it looks like it'll be much easier to give them scripts once they have more skill points and I can invest in that skill that gives them more lines of script (I think its called tactics or something?). I've just got basic ones so far like drink potion when under 50%, heal ally when under 75%...etc. I need to sit down and find somewhere that has a nice set I can just copy to each of my members.

I think I just cheated and gave them maximum tactics on my second playthrough.

Unlock All 25 Tactic Slots - Compatible with Awakening

I think it's dumb that you have to use points to use the AI. It's not giving you an advantage or anything.

I had a blood mage that would turn it on and off depending on the HP, draw blood from pets, all kinds of things. It was pretty fun to watch her destroy an entire group without me touching any of the keys or pausing anything.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think I just cheated and gave them maximum tactics on my second playthrough somehow.

Unlock All 25 Tactic Slots - Compatible with Awakening

I think it's dumb that you have to use points to use the AI. It's not giving you an advantage or anything.

I had a blood mage that would turn it on and off depending on the HP, draw blood from pets, all kinds of things. It was pretty fun to watch her destroy an entire group without me touching any of the keys or pausing anything.
I will be downloading that immediately.

Reactions: NyQuil

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Beyond Divinity is baaaaaaad.

Despite your ringing endorsement, I gave Beyond Divinity a try and have been playing it for the last few weeks. It's a big step down from Divine Divinity--the huge open world is gone, the story is not well structured and the voice acting might actually be worse (which I wasn't sure was even possible)--but it isn't quite as bad as I feared. Some of that is probably that I'm playing the latest version, so most of the bugs that plagued it at launch have likely been ironed out. It has a few redeeming qualities. For example, having a party of two from the beginning is a nice change-up from the lone wolf gameplay of the original. It gives you some company and, most importantly, a mule to allow you to carry twice as much loot. It has just enough good things carried over from the original and good additions that it's playable, but it's definitely a game that only a series completionist would want to bother with, especially finish.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Destiny vs Crysis 2 for PS3 for offline?

I was thinking of picking up Crysis 2 because I heard the graphics are fantastic and the reviews seem passable. Killzone 2 and Black Ops are the only FPS or 3rd person shooters I've played through on the PS3 (usually go with action/sports games).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Destiny vs Crysis 2 for PS3 for offline?

I was thinking of picking up Crysis 2 because I heard the graphics are fantastic and the reviews seem passable. Killzone 2 and Black Ops are the only FPS or 3rd person shooters I've played through on the PS3 (usually go with action/sports games).
Crysis 2's graphics can't be that great on the PS3, can they? It's one thing if it was PC where it could really shine, but I imagine on PS3 it would look... meh.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Despite your ringing endorsement, I gave Beyond Divinity a try and have been playing it for the last few weeks. It's a big step down from Divine Divinity--the huge open world is gone, the story is not well structured and the voice acting might actually be worse (which I wasn't sure was even possible)--but it isn't quite as bad as I feared. Some of that is probably that I'm playing the latest version, so most of the bugs that plagued it at launch have likely been ironed out. It has a few redeeming qualities. For example, having a party of two from the beginning is a nice change-up from the lone wolf gameplay of the original. It gives you some company and, most importantly, a mule to allow you to carry twice as much loot. It has just enough good things carried over from the original and good additions that it's playable, but it's definitely a game that only a series completionist would want to bother with, especially finish.
I played it around launch and it was a mess, but then again I never thought much of the Divinity series as a whole. Divine was a good Diablo-like, and Original Sin was good for the first two chapters, but overall it's not a series I'm crazy about, so I personally don't have the fortitude to put up with lesser entries to the series.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just a side note, I just completed the Fade last night and that has to be the least fun I've ever had in a video game. Holy moly, that was long and frustrating.

Yeah, there are actually mods out there to allow you to skip it.

Skip the Fade

Once you get the hang of it, I kind of liked it. (easier the second time through)

Plus it boosts your stats considerably.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
There's no such thing as offline Destiny.

Destiny sucks either way. Lowest common denominator, play to win game where putting in more hours = better gear, rather than relying on actual skill.

Just finished up Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country on the SNES mini. Both great games, but my god Donkey Kong Country gets frustrating near the end. I forgot how cheap some of the levels were, like the last level before King K Rool with the light switch and all that bullshit they throw at you at the end of the level in the dark. Felt like I was getting trolled by the developers tbh. I'm on to DKC 2 and then 3 as well as Yoshi's Island, might throw in some Earthbound or Chrono Trigger as well.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Destiny sucks either way. Lowest common denominator, play to win game where putting in more hours = better gear, rather than relying on actual skill.

Just finished up Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country on the SNES mini. Both great games, but my god Donkey Kong Country gets frustrating near the end. I forgot how cheap some of the levels were, like the last level before King K Rool with the light switch and all that bull**** they throw at you at the end of the level in the dark. Felt like I was getting trolled by the developers tbh. I'm on to DKC 2 and then 3 as well as Yoshi's Island, might throw in some Earthbound or Chrono Trigger as well.

Maybe if you were more skilled you wouldn't need better gear. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not the case either way, though. Game gives you so much loot along the way that most gear differences end up being marginal.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Maybe if you were more skilled you wouldn't need better gear. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not the case either way, though. Game gives you so much loot along the way that most gear differences end up being marginal.

I was pretty good at the Crucible, just found it to be boring tbh. But it definitely helps to have the best gear and a variety of weapons for different situations, which greatly helps your performance. It's just the Diablo/MMO model for FPS, which rewards those that spend more time playing rather than those that are legitimately good at shooters. Definitely a downgrade from Halo for Bungie from a strategy/skill player's point of view, but they succeeded in hitting the casual market more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad