Games you are currently playing - Part 7

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Nope. I own a few AC games but this the first I’ve actually played.
Ah okay. Origins IMO was better than Odyssey but they are the same style of gameplay. So if you beat that one and want another in Egypt it's a good choice!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Haven't really had anything I wanted to play lately. Went for a pallet cleanser.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.

With a proper cartridge in the Game Boy Player. Easy to forget how good 2D Zelda is when you haven't played one in a decade. Too bad the older ones didn't have a mute option for the music :P. It's nice and all far as chip tunes go but way too repetitive.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Finally just uninstalled Metal Gear Rising. It's so close to being phenomenal, but putting your character's ability to block/parry on the same button as regular attack was an asinine decision. Also, camera is terribad.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I downloaded Celeste while it was free on the Epic store. So far I've actually been pretty impressed and feel tempted to pick it up for the Switch as it appears to lend itself to portable gaming. It's a pretty addictive oldschool platformer with a lot of jump type puzzles.

I'm also replaying Witcher 3 on the PC(The netflix series pushed me back) and am really enjoying revisiting some of my prior choices throughout the game. The games level off moral ambiguity is impressive in comparison to it's peers and despite exploring multiple choices I'm still not 100% confident in my decision a lot of the time.

Prior to getting sucked back into Witcher 3, I was playing Persona 5 on the PS4 which I managed to snag for $5 on Black Friday. It's fun in the traditional JRPG sense. I'd recommend it to anime fans and fans of the older Final Fantasy, Tales games etc. It's a little cringe worthy dialogue wise at times, but that really adds to it's charm. The music is incredibly well done and it holds up well aesthetically.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Picked up an XBOX One X since I got a little bit hooked with NHL 20 on a friends XBOX. That and the birth of my second child / responsible for the older child in the evening makes me want to play more in the living room again instead in the office in the basement on PC.

Right now:

NHL 20
FIFA 20
Halo: MCC
Forza Horizon 4 (just bought the Lego DLC)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Thanks to game pass and BC I look forward to play RIME, Ori, Red Dead Redemption (looks awesome in 4k) and Dantes Inferno (never finished it on 360).

Also want to get AC Odyssey as I really like the greek history (and mythology).

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Played about 8 hours of Days Gone, I think it's pretty good and maybe a tier below Horizon or God of War, but still pretty good. I like how they throw little surprises like cruising on your bike and you run into a trip wire, triggering an explosion and an ambush by waiting bad guys. The story seems interesting and the actor that voices Deacon is excellent.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I got a newer laptop with an Intel 620 card and a newer i5 in it so I thought, why not try a game from this decade that isn't on the PS3.

Since the PS3 really has no good strategy games, I went with Crusader Kings II. Let's just say that I'm looking up a youtube version of how to play after giving up through the confusing tutorial. Probably should've just gone with Starcraft or something.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I got a newer laptop with an Intel 620 card and a newer i5 in it so I thought, why not try a game from this decade that isn't on the PS3.

Since the PS3 really has no good strategy games, I went with Crusader Kings II. Let's just say that I'm looking up a youtube version of how to play after giving up through the confusing tutorial. Probably should've just gone with Starcraft or something.
Should've gone with civilization tbh.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Should've gone with civilization tbh.

I find turn based games to be really boring. Probably because the first strategy game I played was Stronghold Crusader, a game that allowed you to build up an army of hundreds of troops while building up your castle.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I'm still playing Divinity Original Sin 2. If you're looking for a very rich deep RPG with an amazing turn-based tactical strategy battle system, this is one of the best one by far.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I downloaded Celeste while it was free on the Epic store. So far I've actually been pretty impressed and feel tempted to pick it up for the Switch as it appears to lend itself to portable gaming. It's a pretty addictive oldschool platformer with a lot of jump type puzzles.

I'm also replaying Witcher 3 on the PC(The netflix series pushed me back) and am really enjoying revisiting some of my prior choices throughout the game. The games level off moral ambiguity is impressive in comparison to it's peers and despite exploring multiple choices I'm still not 100% confident in my decision a lot of the time.

Prior to getting sucked back into Witcher 3, I was playing Persona 5 on the PS4 which I managed to snag for $5 on Black Friday. It's fun in the traditional JRPG sense. I'd recommend it to anime fans and fans of the older Final Fantasy, Tales games etc. It's a little cringe worthy dialogue wise at times, but that really adds to it's charm. The music is incredibly well done and it holds up well aesthetically.

If you're okay with subtitles, I REALLY suggest going with the Japanese audio. It's much better. English voice actors for that game sucked hard.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'm still playing Divinity Original Sin 2. If you're looking for a very rich deep RPG with an amazing turn-based tactical strategy battle system, this is one of the best one by far.

I tried to get into it a few months ago but only made it a few hours in (when you're stuck on the island/prison). I found the game fairly difficult, as I'd get sent on quests that I had no chance at succeeding (like killing those 3 alligators near the beach...I tried lighting them on fire and still got owned quickly). Do you think this is just because I tried that quest way too early and needed to level up first?

I really want to love this game because the writing and lore seem fantastic.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I tried to get into it a few months ago but only made it a few hours in (when you're stuck on the island/prison). I found the game fairly difficult, as I'd get sent on quests that I had no chance at succeeding (like killing those 3 alligators near the beach...I tried lighting them on fire and still got owned quickly). Do you think this is just because I tried that quest way too early and needed to level up first?

I really want to love this game because the writing and lore seem fantastic.

It's a very difficult game and you can seriously shoot yourself in the foot if you're not prepared for certain battles (Be sure to save often). But this is what I love about it as well, it's not one of those games that holds your hands, and those battles can be won in various different ways which is why I said it's probably the best tactical RPG I have ever played, it really forces you to think.

Here are a few tips I recommend that helped me enjoy the game (I was in a similar boat as you):
- SAVE OFTEN (I can't stress this enough, it's a simple F5).
- Make sure you don't save your manual saves on top of those auto save files. The auto files save automatically and the game can save over your progress.
- If you're getting your butt kicked, don't hesitate to run away from the battle.
- Make sure you actually recruit a full party (Your main character plus 3 others). The game is hard as is, so don't skip out on this.
- Be sure to have a diverse party in terms of classes/skills.
- Don't fight enemies above your level (You can hover over them with the cursor to find out).
- Make sure you keep your gear updated as well, if you're level 10, wear level 10 gear, not lower.
- This is a huge battle tip, when you get the teleportation skill, be creative with it. You can teleport your allies, enemies, objects, etc. This game rewards creativity, and teleportation can give you a huge advantage in the battlefield.
- Another battle tip, when you notice a messy ground with things like oil, poison, etc, teleport your enemies there and then blow things up around that area, it will cause a big explosion and damage.
- Place your archer in higher grounds in the battlefield, they'll cause more damage to enemies.
- Resurrection scrolls/skills are huge in this game.
- Use a bedroll to heal your party (Only works in non-combat).
- Lower the game's difficulty level, even the story mode can be challenging enough, so nothing wrong with playing at that level until you gain more experience.

There are so many tips out there, but most importantly, have fun. There's no such thing as a perfectionist approach to this game. You are not going to finish or complete everything because this game is massive and has so much in it. It will take you like a million playthroughs and even then you will not finish everything. So it's ok if you skip on or screw up some quests.

The downside of playing an RPG this rich is I'm going to have a hard time going back to games like Dragon Age, because those games now feel like a kid's toy in comparison. So once I'm done with DOS2, I'm most likely heading toward games like Pillars of Eternity, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Tyranny, etc.

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Dragonquest XI
TW: Warhammer II
New WoW patch is coming so may get sidetracked from my other games for a bit. DBZ Kakarott is launching soon. So many games to play.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Tried XCOM2 for the first time last week and just couldn't get into it.

Also, started Sekiro Shadows Die Twice. Gameplay is pretty good, but I just don't think I have the patience anymore for games that are this hard.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Super Mario Odyssey.
I'm just about done the Metro world. I'm enjoying it....but it's definitely not a 10/10 game for me like so many critics gave it. It's an 8.5/10 or 9/10 for me, very enjoyable and a lot of care and thought went into it for sure.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne [PC]

This is what an expansion should be. Loving it, well worth the wait. I know some people are having PC problems but everything has been running smooth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad