Games you are currently playing - Part 7

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
PC: American Truck Simulator, Utah just released today and it’s amazing, would be even more amazing if I my pc could handle more than minimums.

PS4: The show 19, don’t really know any thing nor really care about baseball, but I’m enjoying it.

Also Spider-Man

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I don't get why American Truck Simulator is so damn demanding. I have a 2080Ti and Ryzen 7 2700X and at max settings at 1440p, I think I was getting like 60-70 FPS. I get 90-100 at some really beautiful AAA games. ATS looks so generic too, I don't get how their optimization is so bad. I remember when I had my old PC with a 980 and i7-4770k that I had to put everything to medium and often times it would drop to 40 fps.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What a time to be alive, when games are struggling if they manage only 60-70 fps ;). I'm happy enough to get just 30 fps, even more so if it's with high settings. I'm still stuck in the mindset of when the goal was to never dip below that. Of course, the goal eventually became "never dip below 60" and, now, it seems to be "never dip into the double digits." What a time to be alive.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
:laugh: To be fair, American Truck Simulator really doesn't have much to render, it's 3 years old now so they've had time to optimize it better, and the 2080Ti is a beast of a card. Hell, I play Apex with a lot more going on and much better graphics and it never dips below what I get in ATS at its peak.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Playing the 13 Sentinels demo and at some point they just name drop H. G. Wells and then some War of the Worlds giant robot spiders show up.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
PC: American Truck Simulator, Utah just released today and it’s amazing, would be even more amazing if I my pc could handle more than minimums.

PS4: The show 19, don’t really know any thing nor really care about baseball, but I’m enjoying it.

Also Spider-Man

So you just drive around picking up and dropping off loads at loading docks and warehouses? is it real time driving where it would take about 4 hours to drive from Salt Lake City to St. George? Interesting but strange concept for a game. I am intrigued but bewildered at the same time lol

Reactions: hangman005

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So you just drive around picking up and dropping off loads at loading docks and warehouses? is it real time driving where it would take about 4 hours to drive from Salt Lake City to St. George? Interesting but strange concept for a game. I am intrigued but bewildered at the same time lol

FYI, it's free to play this weekend on Steam. Try it out. If you like it, it's only $4.99 until Nov 14th.

I haven't played this one yet, but I played some of the previous game in the series, Euro Truck Simulator 2. I, too, was bewildered by the concept before trying it. I didn't play it too much because my system was a little under-powered for it at the time, and I'm not sure if it's as for me as it is for others, but I could see some of the appeal.

You get to experience some of the joy of driving in scenic areas without the accompanying hassle, but, at the same time, there's a little bit of challenge to keep it interesting. You have to get your load to your destination by a deadline, but you accumulate penalties that eat into your profits if you bump into anything, so you have to try to balance speed and safe driving. I imagine that, once you learn to suppress your instincts to drive fast and recklessly, it's probably a pretty relaxing game.

Last edited:

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016

The time is compressed so the drives aren't that bad. There is also some light business management in it as well as you can buy garages and hire other drivers to work for you. I thought the concept was a bit odd at first but I have found that it's a good game to use to wind down after a rough day of work. It doesn't require a ton of attention but just enough to let the day slide away while I am listening to some music in the background.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Might start up Dragon Age Inquisition once I'm done with The Last of Us Remastered, I know it's an older game, but does anyone have any opinions of it?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think I'm just about done with The Outer Worlds. What initially felt like a charming little RPG is starting to feel obsessively generic and somewhat unbalanced. Just kinda bored now.

Might start up Dragon Age Inquisition once I'm done with The Last of Us Remastered, I know it's an older game, but does anyone have any opinions of it?

It's full, and I do mean FULL, of content (both good and bad). Combat is a good mix of the first two DAs, character are mostly well written. I dunno, it's one of those games where I was fine playing it, but by the time it was over I was more than happy to move on.

And for what it's worth, I do think it's better than The Outer Worlds.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've started playing Tetris Effect on a regular basis

Looking forward to what's left of my brain turning to mush

Reactions: Nickmo82

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I don't get why American Truck Simulator is so damn demanding. I have a 2080Ti and Ryzen 7 2700X and at max settings at 1440p, I think I was getting like 60-70 FPS. I get 90-100 at some really beautiful AAA games. ATS looks so generic too, I don't get how their optimization is so bad. I remember when I had my old PC with a 980 and i7-4770k that I had to put everything to medium and often times it would drop to 40 fps.
I'm playing on a bit of a potato, and it's very hit and miss with how it wants to play, The base map, CA, NV, and AZ I have very little problems with, even OR, though around Portland.... and for some reason Klamith Falls I can experience bad lag as it tries to load everything, WA is not bad Seattle at times can get a bit laggy and Yakima is often laggy. Had a lot of problems with UT, especially with the priority of the assets that in generates... would probably be much better if I had more RAM but the scenary assets loading before the roading/navigation assets gets annoying, especially when a random event just appears right in front of you :laugh:

I don't pay may attention to fps as such, if it's above 1fpm lol.

But looking forward to Idaho and likely Colorado coming next year, if we could get a another truck or two by the end of this year it'd be great. I know they had International dealers appearing in the early days of the open beta for 1.36... so here's hoping.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Decided to tackle Nioh again after trying it once awhile ago and not really getting it.

Really enjoying it this time around. Combat system is excellent, world building and level design are average.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Currently living overseas for work, so my PS4 is not with me... but I'm playing Pokemon/BotW on Switch.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm currently playing Pokemon and Outer Worlds, with a plan to slide over to the new Star Wars game once I'm finished those two before diving into Disco Elysium.

2019 was quiet up until now, and now I can't keep up. :laugh:

What a time to be alive, when games are struggling if they manage only 60-70 fps ;). I'm happy enough to get just 30 fps, even more so if it's with high settings. I'm still stuck in the mindset of when the goal was to never dip below that. Of course, the goal eventually became "never dip below 60" and, now, it seems to be "never dip into the double digits." What a time to be alive.

To be fair, that's 60-70 FPS at 1440p on a graphics card that itself costs the same as a gaming PC that should probably be able to do 60-70 FPS at 1440p.....:laugh:

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Wasn't gonna buy anything until the Steam Xmas sales, due to maaaaaaaaaaaassive backlog, but I got Disco Elysium yesterday anyway. Played for an hour or so. What a strange, wonderful game so far.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Going back to Battletech now that final dlc is out. I only had a couple hours of playtime prior to the release, so starting over is not a big deal. Might go back to Stardew Valley now that 1.4 is out, but might be better to wait for the mods to be updated for the new version.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Going back to Battletech now that final dlc is out. I only had a couple hours of playtime prior to the release, so starting over is not a big deal. Might go back to Stardew Valley now that 1.4 is out, but might be better to wait for the mods to be updated for the new version.

Crap. Why did you tell me about the Stardew update?

There goes another 75 hours of my life. Minimum. :laugh:

Section337

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Playing Metal Gear 5 Phantom Pain (by Hideo Kojima), which I recognize is an important series (by Hideo Kojima) to some people. Personally had only played, I think, 4 when I first got back into consoles and found the story (by Hideo Kojima) goofy and the cutscenes (by Hideo Kojima) annoying; however, I saw it was only $10 and had heard it was open world so thought I would try the game (by Hideo Kojima). It will eat up some time, though I am wondering if it will start feeling less repetitive; however, it is not a game (by Hideo Kojima) that I find myself driven to play.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I know I'm like five years late on this, but I'm finally really playing XCom2. Never played the first one, and I only have the vanilla version, but I've been meaning to play it for almost two years now, but never really gave it a chance. I think I'm quickly obsessed with it. My first playthrough was a giant disaster, but I've learned from my mistakes and my second playthrough is going quite a bit better. I plan on playing through the DLC of this and then maybe giving Phoenix Point a look once it's on Game Pass for PC. I've been watching a lot of Slay the Spire recently as I just love that game, and my favorite StS streamer started playing some Phoenix Point and that kinda sparked me to play Xcom. Hopefully I can finish a campaign at some point.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Pretty pissed off with war gaming right now. Their first ranked season on world of warships console, I got to rank 2. My prize?? 5 free daily crates.

FU wargaming.

Signed,
DeathmasonFU

Reactions: Nickmo82

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It depends a little bit on whether you've played Skyrim and/or the previous two DA games.

On its own, there is an absolute ton of content. There is also a great deal of conversations with a huge number of party members. You don't have to participate in all of the chats, but you miss out on a good portion of the game if you do.

You do a main story mission, and then chase down 15 people to chat about what happened. However, the world is pretty interesting and well-realized. It doesn't really matter what class you play, there are bonuses to playing all of them, and your party consists of every other type of class so you can optimize your team that way.

It helps from a lore perspective if you've played the previous two games as you can set the game up to take into account decisions made in those games. It also helps with some of the factions and cameo characters that pop in.

I bring up Skyrim because DA:I decided to move away from story-based contained areas towards more open-world areas with quests in them. On the plus side, you get a real feel for exploration, but on the other hand, you fight a lot of generic enemies, and most of the time, the monsters will repopulate the next time you go there, which sort of diminishes the impact on the game world.

The most important lesson is to LEAVE THE HINTERLANDS.

There is so much to do in the starting area, that you can literally stay there forever. The original designers thought people would leave to explore the other ones eventually anyway, but people didn't, and tried to complete everything. As soon as the level range opens up for other areas, go check them out. Otherwise you'll be over-leveled for them if you just stay there.

It's a sprawling adventure with a lot of just wandering around and exploring if you like that kind of thing. I feel it doesn't quite pull off the open-world as well as Skyrim did, and it doesn't have as tight and gripping a story as DA:Origins, so the compromise doesn't quite work.

But if you want a time sink AAA adventure game with solid production values and great characters, I'd recommend it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know I'm like five years late on this, but I'm finally really playing XCom2. Never played the first one, and I only have the vanilla version, but I've been meaning to play it for almost two years now, but never really gave it a chance. I think I'm quickly obsessed with it. My first playthrough was a giant disaster, but I've learned from my mistakes and my second playthrough is going quite a bit better. I plan on playing through the DLC of this and then maybe giving Phoenix Point a look once it's on Game Pass for PC. I've been watching a lot of Slay the Spire recently as I just love that game, and my favorite StS streamer started playing some Phoenix Point and that kinda sparked me to play Xcom. Hopefully I can finish a campaign at some point.

The DLC in both X-Com games radically change everything about the game. I really can't recommend them enough. They really are more like sequels than DLC.

I didn't play with the Alien Leaders one, but I did play the War of the Chosen, and it's an amazing mod that adds such a huge amount of replayability to the game.

What's funny about the X-Com 2 DLC is the voice actors are all familiar to fans of a particular legendary science-fiction TV show.

It's the kind of game that I get a hankering to play about once a year or so and I'll go at it again. Playing in Iron Man is a lot of fun (either using the mode or being extremely disciplined about it yourself) because it makes you a better player and you tend to remember the heroic deaths of your guys a lot more than you will any individual mission.

There is nothing quite like the feeling of missing a point-blank shotgun blast at 95% hit only to have your opponent miss its 95% return fire.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->