TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So anyone else think Varys somehow manages to talk the Iron Bank into dropping support for Cersei by selling them that there's a male Targaryen true heir to the throne?

Would the Iron Bank really care that much about a Targaryen male's claim over Dany's though?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So I think Theon's arc is a little overrated. It basically boils down to overconfident guy gets humbled big time. Which is fine - it's actually a character arc unlike some.

Jamie's is interesting a bit. I'll put some thought into it, but honestly in a lot of ways it's the same arc as Theon's. Which once again - not a bad thing.

His early bits are not that interesting. He is an annoying twat early on, and seeing him struggle with his identity doesn’t really start to become interesting until after he is freed.

Actually on my rewatch I found I didn’t like a lot of season 2. The KL stuff was great, but Dany’s plot in Qarth is actually really boring. Robb and Theon’s stuff aren’t exactly riveting either.

Hell Jamie spent the whole season locked up.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Let's bring the discussion back to this thread since the discussion is mainly about the season as a whole, anyway.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
His early bits are not that interesting. He is an annoying **** early on, and seeing him struggle with his identity doesn’t really start to become interesting until after he is freed.

Actually on my rewatch I found I didn’t like a lot of season 2. The KL stuff was great, but Dany’s plot in Qarth is actually really boring. Robb and Theon’s stuff aren’t exactly riveting either.

Oh - the other thing is Theon's arc could only end one way. It wasn't a matter of if, but when. He was going to have to die to redeem himself. Jaime a little less so - but we know where his arc is going - confrontation with Cersei and a pretty high likelihood of death himself.

Sansa has a lot more wiggle room in what could be plausible, which I think is the sign of a much better arc.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oh - the other thing is Theon's arc could only end one way. It wasn't a matter of if, but when. He was going to have to die to redeem himself. Jaime a little less so - but we know where his arc is going - confrontation with Cersei and a pretty high likelihood of death himself.

Sansa has a lot more wiggle room in what could be plausible, which I think is the sign of a much better arc.

Sansa is the only one that has risen above and actually become a legit player in the game. She has become a major power player in the north, and is actively playing a role in Dany’s potential downfall. It’s interesting stuff.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV

I think Jaime and Theon are two clear examples that obvious arcs can still be satisfying. We don't need a subversion of tropes for everything about this show.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I find it interesting that the Lannaster siblings have so far been completely unable to kill each other when they have an obvious chance in front of them.

Despite Cersei hiring hits on them, she has had Tyrion in front of her, could have killed him, but didn’t twice.

Jamie couldn’t kill Tyrion last season despite claiming he would for killing Tywin. Plus Tyrion seems to be trying extra hard to find a way for Cersei to keep her life in all of this.

It’s a bizzare twisted family dynamic, but I find it interesting. As Bronn said “that f***ing family”

Tyrion himself seems to have completely lost his appetite for kin killing. Killing Tywin brought him no satisfaction, but instead a heaping helping of self-loathing.

Which makes me think Jamie might not be able to go through with killing Cersei even if he really wants to.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
His early bits are not that interesting. He is an annoying **** early on, and seeing him struggle with his identity doesn’t really start to become interesting until after he is freed.

I rank season 2 second last in my rankings, with season 8 unranked until it is complete of course. Only one that is worse is season 5, as even my favorite episode Hardhome can't make up for how weak a lot of it is.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Sansa is the only one that has risen above and actually become a legit player in the game. She has become a major power player in the north, and is actively playing a role in Dany’s potential downfall. It’s interesting stuff.

Yep.

Sansa is the only character over the last 2 seasons who has grown at all. She is the closest thing right now to "classic" Game of Thrones, where other people die, new powers rise, and they start playing the game accordingly.

Jon Snow is just the f***ing worst. Just a boring, mopey, miserable :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I rank season 2 second last in my rankings, with season 8 unranked until it is complete of course. Only one that is worse is season 5, as even my favorite episode Hardhome can't make up for how weak a lot of it is.

Dorne really was a hot mess. Easily the weakest plot line of the entire show. The sparrow stuff really didn’t start to become interesting until season 6.

Despite the meme that the show dipped in quality after 4, I actually really enjoyed season 6 and would rate it higher then season 2.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I think Jaime and Theon are two clear examples that obvious arcs can still be satisfying. We don't need a subversion of tropes for everything about this show.
Once again, I'm just comparing them directly to Sansa's - which I think isn't a subversion of tropes as it all flows *very* logically. Theon and Jaime's arcs are absolutely fine.

I would take their paths over almost any of the other main cast outside of Cersei - Jon is boring. Dany is boring. Bran is boring. Arya's is fine but not particularly interesting in and of itself, and Tyrion's *arc* isn't particularly good either (even though Dinklage has been superb).

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think that the only suitable end for Cersei comes at the hands of Sansa. They're mirrors of each other.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Dorne really was a hot mess. Easily the weakest plot line of the entire show. The sparrow stuff really didn’t start to become interesting until season 6.

Despite the meme that the show dipped in quality after 4, I actually really enjoyed season 6 and would rate it higher then season 2.

It's a bit hazy, but I think season 5 had six episodes of Jaime and Bronn in tattered rags and bandanas fumbling around Dorne getting into shenanigans, and it was thoroughly embarrassing.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Dany’s arc has really only gotten interesting in the last few episodes for me. After season 2 she hasn’t really faced many obstacles until this point.

Personally, I feel vindicated. Throughout her story, I was miffed that I was supposed to be rooting for her with the obvious music cues, ending season scenes, etc. Her ruthless actions I always disagreed with.

Now I love her character since it's come full circle.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

A big problem is the contrast between 4 and 5. 4 I think is the best season, and 5 the worst, so it can be a bit jarring there.

I'd generally rank them:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Limdsey Ellis has hit her breaking point. :thumbu:

And she is trashing "subverting expectations"

:DD

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Dany’s arc has really only gotten interesting in the last few episodes for me. After season 2 she hasn’t really faced many obstacles until this point.
I have no problem with them setting up a heel turn - it makes a lot of sense. But basically her arc has been watching someone prepare for an invasion in Civ, only to completely bungle the execution of it. Which is... okay.

I would have preferred a different path - I thought the whole "play politics while an existential threat is at our border is f***ing dumb and forcing them to come together before the world ends" makes for a more interesting story than the purely political play they're setting up. It did neuter the NK as a threat to Westeros, which leads to kind of a disjointed narrative.

Reactions: Eisen

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have no problem with them setting up a heel turn - it makes a lot of sense. But basically her arc has been watching someone prepare for an invasion in Civ, only to completely bungle the execution of it. Which is... okay.

I would have preferred a different path - I thought the whole "play politics while an existential threat is at our border is ****ing dumb and forcing them to come together before the world ends" makes for a more interesting story than the purely political play they're setting up. It did neuter the NK as a threat to Westeros, which leads to kind of a disjointed narrative.

I think the idea is they and George want to make s point about how in the ends it’s human nature that destroys itself or something.

He has mentioned in the past he saw the story as a pro-pacifist message.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
I feel I'm in the minority since everyone online seems to care so much about it, but I could not give a single care about the Scorpion's trajectory or accuracy against dragons mid-flight. I just don't. Just like the "bad strategy" in the battle of Winterfell. I'm not a war tactician. This isn't history. The Scorpion is a made-up ballista style weapon designed to kill dragons. I just... don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad