TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, I think there was a healthy amount of foreshadowing in ep 4. where Jon is concerned. A lot of heavy handed "Jon doesn't belong in King's Landing" and "Jon belongs in the North." Even Jon sending Ghost north. If Jon doesn't die in the series finale my bet is he ends up going back north to live among the Wildings.
So maybe in the end no one gets the throne. We go back to Seven Kingdoms.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
I'll be unhappy if Jon goes North with the Wildlings to live a happy life after the war even if that's a fitting end for his character and his arc. Headcanon strikes again.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Does anyone think we're getting the flaming sword? Or has that theory/prophecy been put to rest?

It would require Azor Ahai to temper his blade in the heart of his lover.

I don’t think we are going to get a literal flaming sword, but that situation may definitely happen.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Screenshot_2019-05-08-09-26-35~2.png

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So maybe in the end no one gets the throne. We go back to Seven Kingdoms.

That's what I'm most curious about. I mean, even if Dany sacks King's Landing and literally sits on the Iron Throne what support will she have to stay in power? Dorne? The Iron Islands? Sansa and the North (including the Vale) won't support her. What's left of the power base in the Riverlands, the Reach, and the Stormlands?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't think it has, the phrase is just meaningless red meat for that crowd.
You can see moments when they did. Killing Ned Stark certainly did. Red Wedding kind of did (although it was telegraphed *a bit*, it certainly was still a shocking set piece in execution). Maybe a few other moments? The Red Viper's death was a bit of one mainly because narratively they actually developed him and then killed him rather quickly.

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
You can see moments when they did. Killing Ned Stark certainly did. Red Wedding kind of did (although it was telegraphed *a bit*, it certainly was still a shocking set piece in execution). Maybe a few other moments? The Red Viper's death was a bit of one mainly because narratively they actually developed him and then killed him rather quickly.

Oberyn was a subversion? He got cocky in his duel and was punished for his hubris. That's Greek myth stuff.

If he'd lost fair and square after setting him up to be Tyrion's savior, I would agree.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Oberyn was a subversion? He got cocky in his duel and was punished for his hubris. That's Greek myth stuff.
A bit of subversion of expectations, literally only because they spent actual energy building him into a character. Narratively it's consistent, but generally shows don't spend a lot of effort developing a character they're going to kill off in short order.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll be unhappy if Jon goes North with the Wildlings to live a happy life after the war even if that's a fitting end for his character and his arc. Headcanon strikes again.

I doubt it would be happy-especially if Dany dies at his hand.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If people have been holding out for eight years for a happy ending they really haven't been paying much attention.
That sentiment can only really apply to the original source material that the first four seasons stuck so closely to and the goodwill that's been carried over from that. Considering that everything after that has involved so many crowd-pleasing contrivances, it's really kind of a crap-shoot-- I don't fully expect a completely happy ending (If I were to bet, I would guess that ONE of Jon/Danaerys and Jaime die out of all the main characters, and a bunch of less important side characters will die), but if it happened, it would not really surprise me or be out of D&D's M.O. to do that.

I sincerely doubt they have the balls to do a bleak, "everything's pretty much ****ed" ending (not that they need to).

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That sentiment can only really apply to the original source material that the first four seasons stuck so closely to and the goodwill that's been carried over from that. Considering that everything after that has involved so many crowd-pleasing contrivances, it's really kind of a crap-shoot-- I don't fully expect a completely happy ending, but if it happened, it would not really surprise me or be out of D&D's M.O. to do that.
I just don't know what a happy ending would look like? After everything that's happened, what qualifies as a happy ending?

Dany? She's a f***ing maniac and has been pretty much the whole show. Is the happy ending really her on the Iron Throne? Cersei?

Only "happy" ending would be Jon being King I guess, but is that really happy for him?

I honestly think the happy ending is the end of the Seven Kingdoms as a solitary political unit.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just don't know what a happy ending would look like? After everything that's happened, what qualifies as a happy ending?

Dany? She's a ****ing maniac and has been pretty much the whole show. Is the happy ending really her on the Iron Throne? Cersei?

Only "happy" ending would be Jon being King I guess, but is that really happy for him?

I honestly think the happy ending is the end of the Seven Kingdoms as a solitary political unit.
A reluctant/unhappy Jon becoming king would definitely be considered a conventional happy ending in line with traditional storytelling, IMO. If Dany does not become a tyrant like it looks like she might, I would consider that a crowd-pleasing ending as well (learning from her mistakes and all that). I think she probably will lose her mind and will be the only major character death, though (other than the Cersei and Jaime dying together thing, which I think everyone obviously expects). I bet Tyrion/Sansa/Arya/Bran will be just fine. Based on D&D's current work, I don't think there's a chance in hell that they'll do anything out of the ordinary or have a "Nobody is safe-- If you think this'll be a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention-- If you **** up in this world, you get got" ending, personally. That sentiment was true at one point but seems completely unearned now, IMO.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That sentiment can only really apply to the original source material that the first four seasons stuck so closely to and the goodwill that's been carried over from that. Considering that everything after that has involved so many crowd-pleasing contrivances, it's really kind of a crap-shoot-- I don't fully expect a completely happy ending (If I were to bet, I would guess that ONE of Jon/Danaerys die out of all the main characters, and a bunch of less important side characters will die), but if it happened, it would not really surprise me or be out of D&D's M.O. to do that.

I sincerely doubt they have the balls to do a bleak, "everything's pretty much ****ed" ending (not that they need to).

One thing I'm pretty sure of is neither Dany nor Jon will sit on the iron throne. I bet the house Dany dies (possibly at Jon's hand) and then Jon is given the opportunity to exit stage left. Who fills the power vacuum is anyone's guess. As for the rest of the characters I'm convinced there will be a heavy body count. Main characters that survive will be Sansa, Arya, and Bran which I suppose is kind of fitting given how the series began and how much pain and suffering the Stark family has endured.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
One thing I thought was a little silly is how Bronn knew exactly where Jaime and Tyrion were in Winterfell

Was he walking around with that crossbow asking people where they were?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Dany? She's a ****ing maniac and has been pretty much the whole show. Is the happy ending really her on the Iron Throne? Cersei?

I don't see anything revolutionary happening politically. A few possibilities:

* Dany attains the throne after a bloodbath and struggles to consolidate power
* Dany dies before she can attain power and Jon refuses to take the spot leaving a power vacuum
* A 3rd party emerges as a candidate and is enthroned with a new council
* The Iron Throne as we know it is toppled and the realm reverts to regional rule

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't see anything revolutionary happening politically. A few possibilities:

* Dany attains the throne after a bloodbath and struggles to consolidate power
* Dany dies before she can attain power and Jon refuses to take the spot leaving a power vacuum
* A 3rd party emerges as a candidate and is enthroned with a new council
* The Iron Throne as we know it is toppled and the realm reverts to regional rule
Yep, pretty much (I think there's a chance Jon accepts the throne as well). I doubt there will be many out of left-field surprises.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
One thing I'm pretty sure of is neither Dany nor Jon will sit on the iron throne. I bet the house Dany dies (possibly at Jon's hand) and then Jon is given the opportunity to exit stage left. Who fills the power vacuum is anyone's guess. As for the rest of the characters I'm convinced there will be a heavy body count. Main characters that survive will be Sansa, Arya, and Bran which I suppose is kind of fitting given how the series began and how much pain and suffering the Stark family has endured.
I'm inconsistently not including Bran as a "main character" in this, but yeah he obviously survives. Arya most likely does - there might be *some* comeuppance but I'd say a more likely end for her is some sort of behind the scenes presence. I *don't* think she gets the happy ending of putting down the knives/subterfuge and living happily ever with Gendry, but it's a possibility all the same.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
That's what I'm most curious about. I mean, even if Dany sacks King's Landing and literally sits on the Iron Throne what support will she have to stay in power? Dorne? The Iron Islands? Sansa and the North (including the Vale) won't support her. What's left of the power base in the Riverlands, the Reach, and the Stormlands?
To go the other way, who would oppose her? All the great houses and their armies are decimated. Sure, I guess someone could buy some more mercenaries, but so could Dany, like the Iron Bank wouldn't give $$$$ to her? Especially if it kept her from returning to Essos.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
One thing I thought was a little silly is how Bronn knew exactly where Jaime and Tyrion were in Winterfell

Was he walking around with that crossbow asking people where they were?

Using my imagination I filled in that void and figured he was probably stalking them during the evening as a cold blooded murderer would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad