TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part X -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
I wonder if in order to defeat the Night King, Jon will have to kill Bran

I believe this is what will happen. Bran will probably try to warg into the dude that became the night king to stop the COTF from transitioning him but will be too late and get locked into him in permanent status. Blood Raven warned him of trying to mess with the past. Once Bran is locked in, that is where i believe Jon will have to sacrifice him to end the threat.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
If Jon dies but the "good guys" win that would certainly be bittersweet.

Its war, I dont consider someone simply dying in victory as bittersweet, no matter how popular the character

Cersei remaining as queen after the living win is bittersweet

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

Sticking by my Fall of the Lich King guess.

Going with Diablo ending

Jon/Bran has to become the Night King to keep the Wights and White Walkers at bay, exiling himself to the Land of Always Winter for eternity

With the Dragonglass in the Night Kings chest instead of the Soulstone

Reactions: Emperoreddy
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Its war, I dont consider someone simply dying in victory as bittersweet, no matter how popular the character

Cersei remaining as queen after the living win is bittersweet
There are about a million ways it could end that would be bittersweet. Stop forcing your narrow view of that term onto others. If the thing the main hero is fighting for in a story wins but he dies fighting for it, that would absolutely be bittersweet. Agree to disagree on what the word means.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
There are about a million ways it could end that would be bittersweet. Stop forcing your narrow view of that term onto others. If the thing the main hero is fighting for in a story wins but he dies fighting for it, that would absolutely be bittersweet. Agree to disagree on what the word means.

Other people telling me what qualifies as bittersweet is me forcing my view on other people

Good

Lord

If something as simple as dying in battle is bittersweet Martin would never of bothered mentioning it, that is simply standard war story telling

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I really don't know what to expect with the ending. The death count will obviously be high, as there's a surprisingly high number of important characters that have lasted to the end.

A couple of things I do expect is a change in the long winter phenomenon. That's still one of thr defining traits of this world, that's likely driven by magic and a source of a lot of suffering.

I also don't know how this can be achieved, but I'd like an ending with a levels of permanence to it. I don't want to feel that whoever is on the throne would hold it for a year before the next round of backstabbing begins.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I wonder if in order to defeat the Night King, Jon will have to kill Bran

You definitely get the idea that Bran is going to have a huge play in the end game for this show. I mean, it's cool that he's bringing visions of the past and information to the screen, but that whole Hodor episode was game changing and where I started thinking different about the entire series.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Other people telling me what qualifies as bittersweet is me forcing my view on other people

Good

Lord

If something as simple as dying in battle is bittersweet Martin would never of bothered mentioning it, that is simply standard war story telling
I never said Jon would die in battle. And even if he did, the freaking hero of a fantasy novel or film or television series dying at the end of the story would, in my book, qualify as bittersweet IF the general outcome is positive aside from that. If it wasn't positive it wouldn't be bittersweet, it would just be bitter.

You are putting way too little into the weight of what characters mean in a story. "Someone dying" is different from the main hero dying. Does that need to be pointed out, or in trying to be the smartest person in the room have you lost sight of 9th grade English class themes and symbolism?

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I never said Jon would die in battle. And even if he did, the freaking hero of a fantasy novel or film or television series dying at the end of the story would, in my book, qualify as bittersweet IF the general outcome is positive aside from that. If it wasn't positive it wouldn't be bittersweet, it would just be bitter.

You are putting way too little into the weight of what characters mean in a story. "Someone dying" is different from the main hero dying. Does that need to be pointed out, or in trying to be the smartest person in the room have you lost sight of 9th grade English class themes and symbolism?

I guess your are just forcing your view that Jon is the hero of the series

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Somehow Jon Sand doesn't sound right. :sarcasm:

Re-watch is done, I 'd forgotten how swift Arya is with the blade on Littlefinger. Never saw it coming.

Theon's lack of balls came in handy when he got kneed in the groin and just smiled.

Damn, does that zombie dragon ever run out of fuel?

My problem with this, is that the name would not be Sand. The bastard name is not determined based on the location of the birth, but the nobility of the one parent. Jon Snow wasn't called Jon Snow because he was born in the North, but because his father was a nobleman from the North. With that logic, his bastard name as the son of Rhaegar would be Waters, as Rhaegar represents the Crownlands.

I could be wrong, but I think the name is based on the nobel parent's heritage, not the place of birth

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
My problem with this, is that the name would not be Sand. The bastard name is not determined based on the location of the birth, but the nobility of the one parent. Jon Snow wasn't called Jon Snow because he was born in the North, but because his father was a nobleman from the North. With that logic, his bastard name as the son of Rhaegar would be Waters, as Rhaegar represents the Crownlands.

I could be wrong, but I think the name is based on the nobel parent's heritage, not the place of birth

So his name would be Jon Waters?

Your new King of the Seven Kingdoms, ladies and gentlemen:
MV5BNTE5MTQ1MjkzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTU1ODIyMw@@._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Reactions: Neutrinos

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
we know that children of forest made the night king, but who made the other white walkers? there cant be many of them, perhaps only 20.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Oh for sure I can see a scenario where he becomes King, I just don't think when he finds out he is going to pull a Stannis and start telling everyone he is King and has to obey him.

He's going to be the King all right.

The Night King.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

In Dorne, where he was born, every bastards last name is Sand.

That's how they keep track of the bastards.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Brienne vs the Hound was awesome and dirty as hell.

I forgot how good Season 4 was as a whole. The Hound is such an awesome character. Maybe low key the best?
The Hound and Arya traveling during season 3 and 4 is some of the best material on the show. The Hound is also a great character and has had a really good arc.

Reactions: Jack Straw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad