TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part X -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Littlefinger was one of my favorite characters and his death was underwhelming and as much as I would like him to be alive still I highly doubt they are bringing him back

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Littlefinger was one of my favorite characters and his death was underwhelming and as much as I would like him to be alive still I highly doubt they are bringing him back

Then why show us the scene of Littlefinger talking to that girl and giving her a coin?

It was put in there for a reason

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Maybe it ties into something this season. He could be back in a flashback. There is no reason or time to really bring him back.

The reason would be to show that he really was a step ahead of everyone

And as for time, there doesn't need to be a detailed story line with him included. They could literally just show him for a few seconds during an epilogue scene to show viewers he survived

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Bran should know, would he not say anything?

He only knows if he looks into it. Bran didn't know about Lyanna's marriage to Raegar until Sam told him to check it out

He'll only look into it if he has reason to. There's no reason for him to suspect Littlefinger isn't dead

Right now he's preoccupied with the Night King

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'll say this after sort of arguing against it in the previous thread. It's definitely possible that everything in that video is true. Little Finger could be alive. He could actually have outsmarted everyone.

I don't think the loose ends presented in that video are as strong as the person who made it is saying, though. GRRM saying over and over again, "I think it will be bittersweet" (the ending) could have literally dozens of meanings. To speculate that it is in reference to LF in particular is a leap. It could be anything.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
LF is dead ,, Give it up guys

And I enjoyed his demise and don't get why some seem to be upset about how he ended and trash the scene , etc
Because it was terribly written and performed, and uncharacteristic for LF. The guy who started it all (death of Jon Arryn, dagger), the guy who had spies and ears in all of Westeros and Essos went out in the laziest and dumbest way possible.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Just curious, but what would a satisfactory Little Finger death scene look like?
Good question, I'm no show writer.

But LF was (is?) one of the most savvy and calculating characters on the show. He was the catalyst of (almost) everything that went down in Westeros in the GoT series timeline. He schemed and sidestepped and eventually found himself on the top of the food chain in GoT - without ever killing somebody himself. Yet he triggered the War of the Five Kings. Now fast forward to last season. His plan to trade Sansa to the Boltons for his big piece of the cake didn't pan out. In fact he stayed, continued to 'mentor' Sansa despite the fact that he had betrayed her. She never forgave him for that. And he knew it.

So some stuff happened in the season, Jon left Winterfell the save the world, Sansa took over the reins, Arya returned as some kind of super ninja, Bran returned as a changed person seeing stuff from past and future - and LF knew about all of this. Yet he continued to lurk around Winterfell for no apparent reason. Well unless he stuck around in order to die (or "die"). So the Stark sisters have the most important conversation of the season, off-screen mind you, he gets confronted and he seems puzzled, out of arguments, crying, pathetic. In other words: It was completely uncharacteristic.

LF was always two steps ahead of everybody. Now we are to believe the mastermind behind everything, the 'self-made millionaire' of GoT (an ambitious nobody coming from nothing, rising thru the ranks thanks to his wit and intelligence, former Master of Coin, now a Lord) is suddenly blind, deaf and overconfident and decides to stick around in an increasingly hostile environment? Did he, of all people, not get the subtext of his conversation with Sansa on the balcony?

Why did he not go back to the Eyrie, his new home, wait out winter and keep on scheming? It was not logical. He served no purpose in Winterfell. He was entirely disposable. So it's either bad writing (maybe they just ran out of time) or what we saw is actually part of his story arc that's not yet finished. I'm hoping for the latter.

All I know is he deserves a better ending.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Good question, I'm no show writer.

But LF was (is?) one of the most savvy and calculating characters on the show. He was the catalyst of (almost) everything that went down in Westeros in the GoT series timeline. He schemed and sidestepped and eventually found himself on the top of the food chain in GoT - without ever killing somebody himself. Yet he triggered the War of the Five Kings. Now fast forward to last season. His plan to trade Sansa to the Boltons for his big piece of the cake didn't pan out. In fact he stayed, continued to 'mentor' Sansa despite the fact that he had betrayed her. She never forgave him for that. And he knew it.

So some stuff happened in the season, Jon left Winterfell the save the world, Sansa took over the reins, Arya returned as some kind of super ninja, Bran returned as a changed person seeing stuff from past and future - and LF knew about all of this. Yet he continued to lurk around Winterfell for no apparent reason. Well unless he stuck around in order to die (or "die"). So the Stark sisters have the most important conversation of the season, off-screen mind you, he gets confronted and he seems puzzled, out of arguments, crying, pathetic. In other words: It was completely uncharacteristic.

LF was always two steps ahead of everybody. Now we are to believe the mastermind behind everything, the 'self-made millionaire' of GoT (an ambitious nobody coming from nothing, rising thru the ranks thanks to his wit and intelligence, former Master of Coin, now a Lord) is suddenly blind, deaf and overconfident and decides to stick around in an increasingly hostile environment? Did he, of all people, not get the subtext of his conversation with Sansa on the balcony?

Why did he not go back to the Eyrie, his new home, wait out winter and keep on scheming? It was not logical. He served no purpose in Winterfell. He was entirely disposable. So it's either bad writing (maybe they just ran out of time) or what we saw is actually part of his story arc that's not yet finished. I'm hoping for the latter.

All I know is he deserves a better ending.

Fair enough. I also didn't like how they had him just hanging around Winterfell as it didn't seem to serve a purpose for him. I'm not quite as convinced that he was onto everything you mentioned, but I am due for a re-watch of the season pretty soon. And I do remember thinking that I hated the "Arya is going to kill me (Sansa)". But I also didn't like how Little Finger seemed to be needling Sansa into being worried about Arya. In other words, I didn't like the whole triangle drama with these characters.

The alternative that makes some sense to me is that Little Finger's end game when he started everything happening in the first place was that he wanted to end up on the Iron Throne (obviously). But, I think as Sansa grew up and he put her into a position to rely on him that he had a dual strategy going where he wanted her to be his queen. And that covetous part of his nature with his childhood love's daughter just possibly caused him to misplace trust or lose sight of the bigger picture for a short time. Took his eyes off the ball at just the wrong time. I don't think that would be totally out of place with his character. He had an odd long term infatuation with Cat. I could easily see it having transferred to her young pretty daughter.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Fair enough. I also didn't like how they had him just hanging around Winterfell as it didn't seem to serve a purpose for him. I'm not quite as convinced that he was onto everything you mentioned, but I am due for a re-watch of the season pretty soon. And I do remember thinking that I hated the "Arya is going to kill me (Sansa)". But I also didn't like how Little Finger seemed to be needling Sansa into being worried about Arya. In other words, I didn't like the whole triangle drama with these characters.

The alternative that makes some sense to me is that Little Finger's end game when he started everything happening in the first place was that he wanted to end up on the Iron Throne (obviously). But, I think as Sansa grew up and he put her into a position to rely on him that he had a dual strategy going where he wanted her to be his queen. And that covetous part of his nature with his childhood love's daughter just possibly caused him to misplace trust or lose sight of the bigger picture for a short time. Took his eyes off the ball at just the wrong time. I don't think that would be totally out of place with his character. He had an odd long term infatuation with Cat. I could easily see it having transferred to her young pretty daughter.
Fair points. Especially your second paragraph. It's too bad we "have" to speculate about this stuff. But that's what happens when a subplot gets butchered and/or rushed like this. The entire 'drama at Winterfell' this season had nothing of the show's previous finesse, flair and touch. It was uncharacteristic and elusive. These bland and unfun holes in the Winterfell arc ultimately left me (and apparently many others) unsatisfied and leave too much room for disbelief and speculation. Let alone hope for something better still to come for one of the show's big characters (due closure).

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Fair points. Especially your second paragraph. It's too bad we "have" to speculate about this stuff. But that's what happens when a subplot gets butchered and/or rushed like this. The entire 'drama at Winterfell' this season had nothing of the show's previous finesse, flair and touch. It was uncharacteristic and elusive. These bland and unfun holes in the Winterfell arc ultimately left me (and apparently many others) unsatisfied and leave too room space for disbelief and speculation. Let alone hope for something better still to come (due closure).

Rushed and lacking finesse describes the whole of season 7 to me. For me the "problems" with the show are that the creators seemed to just want to be finished with it after creating such a crazy strong following. Season 7 and 8 should both be full 10 episode seasons like all of those before it. I think we would all have fewer issues if they had stayed true to the form of the show from the beginning. Rushing and cramming the end of a mega drama like this is just lame IMO.

Of course, the biggest problem is that the novel series wasn't finished (or realistically planned to be finished) when the show started. Everything done based on the books is rich and full of things which fans can wonder about. Most of what has come after is simply not up to the level that was set out before.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What you do see is someone wearing Arya's face, despite the fact she's still very much alive
We see Arya pulling off a bunch of faces, how do you know she isn't hallucinating? Seems a lot more plausible than this being the only example of a faceless man wearing a face of someone who is alive, which we have never been shown to be possible. This entire "Littlefinger is alive" speculation is absurd.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
We see Arya pulling off a bunch of faces, how do you know she isn't hallucinating? Seems a lot more plausible than this being the only example of a faceless man wearing a face of someone who is alive, which we have never been shown to be possible. This entire "Littlefinger is alive" speculation is absurd.
We don't even know what 'dead' means in this show. See Beric or Jon (revived). See Mel (super old). See wights (undead). See Dany (can't die to fire at least). Etc.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We don't even know what 'dead' means in this show. See Beric or Jon (revived). See Mel (super old). See wights (undead). Etc.
Sure, but when we are shown Littlefinger being killed, you are going to have to do a lot better than some wild speculation based on vague concepts to demonstrate that he will be coming back. Until proven otherwise, he's dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad