TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part X -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They were pretty much stuck with a plot line that was never going to contribute heavily to the end game, but felt they had to include it because the books deal with Dorne. It was terrible and could have been handled much better, but I don't think it was ever going to feel satisfying and be any more than a side plot.

You could kind of feel the whole show slowing to a crawl as it came up to the end of Dance with Dragons. Like they both were trying to give George one more year to get something out, and that they weren’t 100% sure where the subplots were even going.

Once through that barrier the show seemed to hit hyperdrive as it starting cutting down subplots and speeding towards the end.

It always felt clear to me that they never actually thought they would totally catch up and pass the books until about a year or so before it happened.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You could kind of feel the whole show slowing to a crawl as it came up to the end of Dance with Dragons. Like they both were trying to give George one more year to get something out, and that they weren’t 100% sure where the subplots were even going.

Once through that barrier the show seemed to hit hyperdrive as it starting cutting down subplots and speeding towards the end.

It always felt clear to me that they never actually thought they would totally catch up and pass the books until about a year or so before it happened.
Ideally they should have made season 5 much more focused and moved the plot along at a quicker pace, as barely anything of note happens in that season outside of a few episodes. You're right that the whole season felt like they were stalling.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If I had a choice to pick whoever narrates my life at my funeral, I would have a hard time choosing between Charles Dance and Richard Dormer.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's not like the whole Wall came down.

in the final scene the wall starts collapsing right next to tormund and then it goes into a massive freefall all surrounding that area.

i love tormund but it would be one of the biggest, maybe the biggest, reaches of the series for him to survive that

but theyve played up berics importance so much i guess they have to be alive

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
in the final scene the wall starts collapsing right next to tormund and then it goes into a massive freefall all surrounding that area.

i love tormund but it would be one of the biggest, maybe the biggest, reaches of the series for him to survive that

but theyve played up berics importance so much i guess they have to be alive

Because it's not at all possible that Tormund ran away from where it was collapsing towards where it wasn't...

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Because it's not at all possible that Tormund ran away from where it was collapsing towards where it wasn't...

idk just watch the clip again, the middle part (of the section that falls) falls first which seems to be where tormund is then it completely free falls all around that

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Killing of main characters has been done in TV shows before too, it just wasn't as powerful or surprising as in GoT (see my points above why that is but mainly because Ned was the main guy in GoT and not just one of more mains).

Jack Bauer's wife in 24
Dexter's girlfriend Rita in Dexter

the very first episode of a certain prison show on the same channel

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
idk just watch the clip again, the middle part (of the section that falls) falls first which seems to be where tormund is then it completely free falls all around that

After watching it again, it's hard to tell where exactly Tormund is on the Wall at that moment. I always assumed the Wall collapsing by him was him barely escaping onto the part that didn't. On the GOT "this stretches credibility" scale I'd say this is pretty low.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
After watching it again, it's hard to tell where exactly Tormund is on the Wall at that moment. I always assumed the Wall collapsing by him was him barely escaping onto the part that didn't. On the GOT "this stretches credibility" scale I'd say this is pretty low.

i just disagree i guess, that scene right before has tormund right next to guys falling and the middle part of the section that breaks falls first so id how hed outrun it

id prefer to have a different opinion on it though cuz i dont want to be hoping tormund is dead haha

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
No way two characters like Tormund and Beric are given off-screen deaths. If and when they get killed off, we’ll see it.

Reactions: HanSolo

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ideally they should have made season 5 much more focused and moved the plot along at a quicker pace, as barely anything of note happens in that season outside of a few episodes. You're right that the whole season felt like they were stalling.

It didn’t help that legitmately not a lot happens in the source material at that point either.

I just always found it interesting how that season ends every subplot almost exactly where Dance did, and they had to really slow some plots down to make it happen.

Jon’s stabbing did make for a solid season ending cliff hanger.

Reactions: Blender

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Been watching the seasons out of order. Went 6-7-1 and now I'm on 2.

Everytime Tywin is on screen I'm just like

giphy.gif

His scenes with Arya are so good. Especially when you see that Arya is like all of us. We know we're supposed to hate him but it's hard not to be captivated by him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I was actually watching a documentary a couple weeks ago (I can't remember which one) and I was like "This guy sounds familiar". It turns out it was Charles Dance narrating.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY

giphy.gif

His scenes with Arya are so good. Especially when you see that Arya is like all of us. We know we're supposed to hate him but it's hard not to be captivated by him.
My wife's been putting it on in the background (I think we're midway through season 4 now) and she always laughs at how I'll stop everything to watch a Tywin scene.

BTW, just for fun, I'm going to say that I blame GRRM for Seasons 5 & 6 being slow. Reason? After the war ended, Joffrey dies, Tywin dies, Tyrion goes off the Essos, Dany gets to Meereen, etc (all this happens in season 4), the story was stuck. It could not advance any further until Jon Snow was able to get out of his NW vows and become King in the North. Therefore, the entire 5th and 6th season entailed the entire cast being separated with little to nothing pulling them together and going on little side quests until Jon's story advanced enough in order to reunite them for the end game.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just finished Season 3 of my latest re-watch

I'm curious how it is Ygritte was able to track down and catch up to Jon before she put 3 arrows in him

He was on a horse, is an experienced rider, and had a head start

And while Ygritte did have access to a horse, there's no horse present when she does find him, and it's questionable if she had any riding experience to begin with

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Just finished Season 3 of my latest re-watch

I'm curious how it is Ygritte was able to track down and catch up to Jon before she put 3 arrows in him

He was on a horse, is an experienced rider, and had a head start

And while Ygritte did have access to a horse, there's no horse present when she does find him, and it's questionable if she had any riding experience to begin with
You know nothing, Neutrinos. :laugh:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

giphy.gif

I still believe Tywin knen who Arya was,how many hiborn girls that age would be in hiding from the north,and if so why?
I think he just played along knowing he had her under his thumb in a guarded castle. He didn't think she was going to be slippery and have help from a many face man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad