TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part X -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
doing my rewatch

bronn, davos, varys, and the viper are the best characters imo

but olenna is next level. the true GOAT

Lol my list is too long

Oberyn
Bronn
Tyrion
Jon
Jamie
Davos
Tywin
Olenna
Arya
Varys
Ramsay (not in the sense that I was rooting for him as much as he was a delight to watch)
Tormund
The Hound
Hm: Podrick but more because of how he's written. I think many actors could get it right.

There's very little separating these characters for me. And I'd even throw acting HMs to Ned, Cersei, Joffrey, Robert, Littlefinger, Jorah, Samwell, Theon, and Maester Lewin. Just don't care as much for the characters, or in the case of Robert and Ned, they didn't last long enough.

For me you have to include Joffrey and Tywin. Losing them was really hard on the show.
I think Tywin in particular. The world of Westeros does just fine without a petulant and psychotic teenager as their monarch. And the show doesn't really suffer no matter how well the character was played. Tywin on the other hand was a heavy loss. Charles Dances' presence and the tone he could imbue the show with with his performance was pretty much as good as it got.

In my eyes it was one of the best single character performances put on TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: glovesave_35

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Lol my list is too long

Oberyn
Bronn
Tyrion
Jon
Jamie
Davos
Tywin
Olenna
Arya
Varys
Ramsay (not in the sense that I was rooting for him as much as he was a delight to watch)
Tormund
The Hound
Hm: Podrick but more because of how he's written. I think many actors could get it right.

There's very little separating these characters for me. And I'd even throw acting HMs to Ned, Cersei, Joffrey, Robert, Littlefinger, Jorah, Samwell, Theon, and Maester Lewin. Just don't care as much for the characters, or in the case of Robert and Ned, they didn't last long enough.

I think Tywin in particular. The world of Westeros does just fine without a petulant and psychotic teenager as their monarch. And the show doesn't really suffer no matter how well the character was played. Tywin on the other hand was a heavy loss. Charles Dances' presence and the tone he could imbue the show with with his performance was pretty much as good as it got.

In my eyes it was one of the best single character performances put on TV.
Ramsey was great and imo the best casting job, i loved loved loved hating him.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It would be tough to say who was the best casting job since I simply can't imagine many of these characters with different actors. But Ramsay was definitely up there. I honestly can't think of one other actor to do the role

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Cutting off another dude’s junk gets your attention for sure.

Literally every time he and Theon were on the screen together I couldn’t stop thinking about how messed up it was.

Even though he stepped into a role that would make millions of guys instantly despise him for one act, Iwan Rheon did a great job.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Cutting off another dude’s junk gets your attention for sure.

Literally every time he and Theon were on the screen together I couldn’t stop thinking about how messed up it was.

Even though he stepped into a role that would make millions of guys instantly despise him for one act, Iwan Rheon did a great job.
He was really good in a TV show called Misfits as well.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He was really good in a TV show called Misfits as well.

I think Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage and Leana Headley were the only actors/actress I ever saw on screen before watching GOT. Or at least that I knew who they were.

So that really helped me see these actors as only the characters they played.

Not sure how many people have seen Last Kingdom (absolutely love that series), but it was the same deal of not knowing really any of the actors and actresses that made it seem more real.

I never heard of David Dawson before Last Kingdom, but holy shit is he a great actor like Rheon who is able to completely sell his character.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage and Leana Headley were the only actors/actress I ever saw on screen before watching GOT. Or at least that I knew who they were.

Not sure how many people have seen Last Kingdom (absolutely love that series), but it was the same deal of not knowing really any of the actors and actresses that made it seem more real.

I never heard of David Dawson before Last Kingdom, but holy **** is he a great actor like Rheon who is able to completely sell his character.

I really like Last Kingdom. And I totally agree with you about not really knowing the actors from previous films or TV shows. It really does help you accept the character without any questions. Sean Bean as Ned being a known actor makes total sense. Not even because his head got lopped off so early, but because at the beginning he seemed like the main character.

David Dawson in Last Kingdom is fantastic, btw. The scenes with Alfred and Uhtred throughout the series (but especially the latest one) are the best in the series. The Alfred character is really interesting in that show and he acted the nuances beautifully. His small role in Peaky Blinders was very well done as well.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I never heard of David Dawson before Last Kingdom, but holy **** is he a great actor like Rheon who is able to completely sell his character.
I had definitely seen Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage, Lena Heady, Iain Glen, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (he's in Black Hawk Down), Rory McCann, Jason Momoa, Liam Cunningham, Stephen Dillane, James Cosmo, Mark Addy, and Charles Dance at least before seeing them in Game of Thrones. That didn't take anything away from any of their performances though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
One of my most long time friends just texted me asking if I like Game of Thrones (not sure how she didn't know that) because she just started season 3, can't stop watching the show, and wanted to talk to me about it.

I'm ridiculously excited to hear her thoughts going through fresh.

She's in another state so I have to somehow convince her sister to record her when she watches the Red Wedding.

In a bizarre parallel universe id watch an episode of Grayjoy and Bolton switched roles for fun:laugh:
I'm picturing it and I can honestly see them pulling it off.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
One of my most long time friends just texted me asking if I like Game of Thrones (not sure how she didn't know that) because she just started season 3, can't stop watching the show, and wanted to talk to me about it.

I'm ridiculously excited to hear her thoughts going through fresh.

She's in another state so I have to somehow convince her sister to record her when she watches the Red Wedding.

I'm picturing it and I can honestly see them pulling it off.

yeah is good shit

took a video of my roommate watching the red wedding was gold

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
yeah is good ****

took a video of my roommate watching the red wedding was gold
She asked me what characters I like least and I told her (within the context of not seeing Ramsay, Euron, the Sand Snakes, or knowing why you should hate Shae other than that she's annoying) Cersei, Joffrey, and Pycelle.

She responded
"I CANT STAND cersei. That demonic disgusting incestuous little bitch . Lmao :p she just pisses me off so much
And that little twerp Joffrey of course."

If she hates Cersei this much now, two episodes into season 3 :laugh:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
She asked me what characters I like least and I told her (within the context of not seeing Ramsay, Euron, the Sand Snakes, or knowing why you should hate Shae other than that she's annoying) Cersei, Joffrey, and Pycelle.

She responded
"I CANT STAND cersei. That demonic disgusting incestuous little ***** . Lmao :p she just pisses me off so much
And that little twerp Joffrey of course."

If she hates Cersei this much now, two episodes into season 3 :laugh:

its also funny early on with people hating like jaime and the hound

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
its also funny early on with people hating like jaime and the hound
I definitely don't ever remember hating The Hound. Yes he kills Arya's friend very early on, but spends the rest of season 1 and 2 clearly not being cruel or evil at all.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really like Last Kingdom. And I totally agree with you about not really knowing the actors from previous films or TV shows. It really does help you accept the character without any questions. Sean Bean as Ned being a known actor makes total sense. Not even because his head got lopped off so early, but because at the beginning he seemed like the main character.

David Dawson in Last Kingdom is fantastic, btw. The scenes with Alfred and Uhtred throughout the series (but especially the latest one) are the best in the series. The Alfred character is really interesting in that show and he acted the nuances beautifully. His small role in Peaky Blinders was very well done as well.

Ya those Uhtred and Alfred scenes were spellbinding. Dawson made me like and hate Alfred, but it takes a special talent to pull that off the way he did with a perfect blend of arrogance, grace, and vulnerability.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I thought the actor playing Ramsay was too over-the-top at times

I much preferred the actor playing Joffrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad