Post-Game Talk: | Game # IIX | Pens loss | The one were we lost to a bunch of "who?'s"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The depths-of-despair gloom is cathartic and in some ways... love to see it, guys. Good job. Doing me a proud. But perhaps a BIT over the top less than ten games in.

That said... f***ing hell I didn't know a team could get so demotivated, disorganized, utterly flaccid and boring as mud this quickly. And I know I said that I can understand trying Carter out on L2 but I'm definitely done with that shit, now. Sorry guys. I was wrong.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
We all knew this team is old, slow, injury prone, also old, and inevitably losing in the first round.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
We need some new rules around here. I’ll start with rule #1:

You must be 35 years old to post on this board.(season ticket holders are exempt of this rule)

See you guys in 4 years.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well if they're going like they were then maybe they'd score? We got plenty of contributions from L4 last year.
Poehling, Archibald and McGinn have all scored already.

I don't know. A lot of guys were flat last night. If we can't rely on L4 to help at all then we need a new L4.

They are also not guys counted on to score all the time. You can't expect them to score every game, but you do expect them to contribute every 3rd/4th game in some fashion.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can't wait until Jason Zucker comes back so at least when L2 doesn't score an actual goal for like three straight games as a line they'll "look super great" doing it.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
First 20 games will be a good indicator of things. So far Pens can't afford injuries to LW guys Zucker and Jake. Next the elephant in the room is Dumo and he just can't play at the level needed to be good. Hextall may be limited here but he needs to address that. Jarry is not quite as sharp but this D has to be better. I like the Pens roster and don;t see old as an issue. I do see a team that when healthy is still a very good team but they do need to play better. Sid looks OK which is not what will put them over the top and Malkin taking stupid penalties is why I wasn't in favor of him returning.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Most times, the 4th line contributes as piling on than being the spark that ignites a winning streak or a goal-fest.
That's because they get more usage in those situations, with the game no longer in much doubt.
I believe that there 100% should be nights where L4 has more ice time than L3, especially when Blue comes back.

When a bunch of guys look like they just wanna go home, play the guys fighting to stay in the lineup.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
Obvs I don't post much, but honestly since the the edmonton game I have just had the throught running through my mind that the team was sick. Like literally sick, from top to bottom just looks like there is zero energy. It's easy to say the stars aren't performing, because they aren't. But shit, literally nobody on the team in the last three games has looked "right" to me. Maybe the symptoms have finally started showing that "old" disease that's going around. I'm told it's incurable, guess we'll see if that's it.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Anyways, I agree with HSL. This era's cooked as far as legitimately competing, so it's all about how entertaining things are from here on out. Adjust your expectations for a team whose foundation consists of about half a dozen 35+ year olds in the sunset of their careers. Just put on a good show, that's all I really care about. If they make the playoffs, they're likely staring down another 1st round exit. If they miss, well, who gives a shit. Finishing last and being a perennial 1st round exit are no different imo; neither team is anywhere close to a Cup, and with the ages, cap situation, and prospect pool, they won't be again for about a decade. :laugh:
In a lot of ways, I wish Sullivan would just let them run and gun and don't even pretend to play defense. Because at least then it would be entertaining.

Instead we're getting nothing offensively, but we also don't stick to any sort of defensive game either. So the result is the same sloppy game but with zero of the entertainment value that run and gun teams provide.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Obvs I don't post much, but honestly since the the edmonton game I have just had the throught running through my mind that the team was sick. Like literally sick, from top to bottom just looks like there is zero energy. It's easy to say the stars aren't performing, because they aren't. But shit, literally nobody on the team in the last three games has looked "right" to me. Maybe the symptoms have finally started showing that "old" disease that's going around. I'm told it's incurable, guess we'll see if that's it.

I could see this but SO early?

They just look confused and utterly demotivated. Whole team. I'd provide further commentary on where that buck stops but what's the use? Dude is gonna be here til like 2030 or whatever so meh.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I could see this but SO early?

They just look confused and utterly demotivated. Whole team. I'd provide further commentary on where that buck stops but what's the use? Dude is gonna be here til like 2030 or whatever so meh.

I think the frustrating part is this team still shows glimpses of being a really good team. We saw that the first 5-ish games of the season. But then they'll inexplicably no-show three games in a row and leave you wondering why our highs and lows are so far apart.

I think it would be easier to accept their decline if even when they're playing well they still only look mediocre. Instead, they give you hope there's still one more run in them only to dash that hope when they play listless like this Western Canada trip.

I wish this team would figure out the "why" of the chasm between their "good" games and their "bad" games. I don't think it's just due to aging. Otherwise even their good games wouldn't be so good.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think the frustrating part is this team still shows glimpses of being a really good team. We saw that the first 5-ish games of the season. But then they'll inexplicably no-show three games in a row and leave you wondering why our highs and lows are so far apart.

I think it would be easier to accept their decline if even when they're playing well they still only look mediocre. Instead, they give you hope there's still one more run in them only to dash that hope when they play listless like this Western Canada trip.

I wish this team would figure out the "why" of the chasm between their "good" games and their "bad" games. I don't think it's just due to aging. Otherwise even their good games wouldn't be so good.
This is pretty much word for word my feeling on the matter. So right on, or my condolences you think like me, which ever is most applicable.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’m also personally glad that we went out and specifically targeted energy guys who all of a sudden have no energy and are just as bad as advertised. :laugh:

Hey now, it's easy for you to judge. You don't realize how uncomfortable it is to play with a tinfoil hat under your helmet. Really throws off your balance.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Well they pay a guy really good money and who gets treated often with more grace and admiration than the guys actually out there doing the work to figure these things out. But hey maybe flipping centers on the powerplay or trying out BigJeff in the top six again will solve it.

But for real I agree. It's very frustrating. I think there is absolutely a way, way better team here. Of course they are old. Of course they aren't actual contenders at this point. But holy shit these massive swings in consistency are maddening. Like you said at least get out there and try to have some fun at this point if nothing else is working. These guys look like they are being led on a death march... not playing a kid's game.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
The fourth line has been our best the last couple games. Pens x fever setting in with some of you guys. Archibald and Poehling had more scoring chances last night than line one in the last three games. And I’m only slightly exaggerating.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's because they get more usage in those situations, with the game no longer in much doubt.
I believe that there 100% should be nights where L4 has more ice time than L3, especially when Blue comes back.

When a bunch of guys look like they just wanna go home, play the guys fighting to stay in the lineup.

I'm gonna tell ya, I'm tired of the bottom six talk, and the day TB leaves the sooner reality restores itself. They were 3-0-1 before this road trip, and 4-0-1 in the first game of it. They obviously did not need Blueger to thrive, maybe Jake, Jason has more to do with it. Lines are all jumbled up, nobody seems in tune.

But, but that Drake guy...

This team can't have injuries, they just can't. They are set too deeply into their ways, spoon feed and you cannot expect 30+ year old's to want to all a sudden eat their peas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad