Post-Game Talk: | Game # IIX | Pens loss | The one were we lost to a bunch of "who?'s"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Also Rust looks like a guy that got paid big and is fat and happy, now. So far.

One thing I'm loving about Raks is he got paid big too but is still out there flying around every night using every bit of his ability to help.
His performance has been the most disappointing to me. His tenacity has disappeared before my old withered eyes.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I was at the game tonight. Man, both teams came out looking like dog shit in the first period. The Canucks are plain bad and the Pens looked COMPLETELY disinterested in the game.

Pens were lucky to be gifted some PPs at the end of the 2nd. Seeing our horrible PP in person was a sight to behold. They just look completely and utterly lost. Zone entries trash. When they have possession, guys are just standing still and waiting for nonexistent passing lanes to show up. The flat footedness is maddening.

A strong start to the third (despite giving up a goal) was the only fight they showed. To quote a certain coach, "a pathetic performance."

The only real standout to me was Rakell. Kapanen looked interested but just didn't have much going. Malkin interested but forcing plays that weren't there. Letang is a bonehead on the PP but had made a few awesome plays.
This is something that I don't understand how the coach can't react to during the game, or practice those break outs in the bunches and support each other, now the whole game is grinding behind back to the blue line to our dman that can barely shoot past defenders and without much of screening...This is our whole game nowdays, sometimes sucesfull most of the time not, and the grinding allow the oponent for the quick breakouts, our olde centers are incapable of skating back to support the defense, thats when things go wrong

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’m all for trying it Emp, but as you note, Crosby isn’t really able to carry enough of the line consistently to make it as good as it would have been. That’s the breaks with aging stars but again, this is why some of us wanted to cut cap so we could go for someone a little higher end than Rust or Rackell for this very situation.

Wait, are they not running with that right now? That's the line they've been using for the last 2 games I thought.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Would it kill Sully to put a hungry youngin with Geno or Sid?

I’d be interested in seeing what Poulin or Poehling could do up there. Wishful thinking, I know.
Steigy was suggesting this morning Archibald, thats wen you know things are falling appart and need to be fixed ASAP

Reactions: Trade

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Their top 6 wingers are
Debrincat
Tkachuk
Giroux
Batherson
Maybe not Jake tier but that is a nasty top 6.

Yeah, I guess you are right.

I don't know. Malkin, Crosby, Rakell, Rust, Jake is a top six most teams would kill for I think.

The issue is when Sullivan sees a couple injuries and he goes..

Heinen - Crosby - Rust
Rakell - Malkin - Carter

Like how stupid can you get?

Production is fine but man he looks just so off.

Sid and Rust never work together.

Somebody should tell our stupid coach.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is something that I don't understand how the coach can't react to during the game, or practice those break outs in the bunches and support each other, now the whole game is grinding behind back to the blue line to our dman that can barely shoot past defenders and without much of screening...This is our whole game nowdays, sometimes sucesfull most of the time not, and the grinding allow the oponent for the quick breakouts, our olde centers are incapable of skating back to support the defense, thats when things go wrong
The other weird thing is, 2015-era Sullivan would have benched this entire team. It’s not like he doesn’t know how to coach, it’s just that he’s… not?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
This team doesn’t grind. It doesn’t play a transition game. There are no defensemen dictating things either.

What’s the game plan?
L2 and L3 can't play transition game Geno and Carter are too slow, Geno has a chance with a pass to get Rust in position but he is not scoring anyways..Sully wants to play grinding game with the guys that don't hustle, that won't work either (first two games of the season they did show some effort). The main problem is our forwards are horrible in defensive transition, hence I think we are the last in NHL in shots allowed or something like that

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The other weird thing is, 2015-era Sullivan would have benched this entire team. It’s not like he doesn’t know how to coach, it’s just that he’s… not?

When did 2015-era Sullivan bench anyone?

Kevin Porter was a regular before injury and Chris Kunitz was a top six and top PP guy despite not being anywhere close.

This team and the decision making looks exactly like it did throughout the Sullivan era.

Sully's big thing in terms of decision making was picking the right goalie in that run.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
L2 and L3 can't play transition game Geno and Carter are too slow, Geno has a chance with a pass to get Rust in position but he is not scoring anyways..Sully wants to play grinding game with the guys that don't hustle, that won't work either (first two games of the season they did show some effort). The main problem is our forwards are horrible in defensive transition, hence I think we are the last in NHL in shots allowed or something like that

Who isn't scoring? Rust or Malkin?

Realistically I'd load up Malkin's line with Rakell and Rust and let Sid drown if he is going to play like he has this trip.

Malkin looks waaaaay better than Crosby despite the production from Sid.

I also think you know, let's use the supposed defensive genius in defensive situations since Carter can't handle it and asking Poehling to do it is just ridiculous for his development.

I'd be rolling this right now..

Rakell - Malkin - Rust
Heinen - Crosby - Kapanen
McGinn - Poulin - Carter
Caggs - Poehling - Archi

For defensive match-ups I'd be rolling Heinen - Crosby - McGinn.

I'd be cutting into Sid's minutes and using him on the PK.

It sucks, but that's what we need him to be doing right now with the injuries and the depth.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I feel like Malkin was springing Rust (you know... when they were a "duo" for like five games) on like three breakaways per game and I don't think he scored on any.

Rust was doing great until he got moved up to Sid's line and / or Carter was added to his.

Malkin’s transition game has been excellent so far this year. He’s getting boned on the score sheet with guys not finishing but I feel like he’s the least of our issues.

He is easily our best offensive forward right now outside of Rakell. What's interesting is Sullivan seems to notice the Rakell play.

Rakell is leading our forwards in 5v5 this road trip.

Realistically much like the playoffs Sullivan is sabotaging the roster by not realizing the limitations of Carter.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin’s transition game has been excellent so far this year. He’s getting boned on the score sheet with guys not finishing but I feel like he’s the least of our issues.

This seems like a running theme the last two years.

Rust was doing great until he got moved up to Sid's line and / or Carter was added to his.

No argument, here. I would have liked to see him finish more chances like he would often do with Sid last year but other than that he and Malkin have always had good chemistry. Which is why it obviously made perfect sense to split them up as soon as possible. Again.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille