Post-Game Talk: | Game # IIX | Pens loss | The one were we lost to a bunch of "who?'s"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Tbh. None of the contenders are there. Look at the leads in the divisions. Boston, Vegas and Calgary is basically it. Everyone else is one of two games above .500
Not gonna be like that for too much longer I'd wager. We better get our shit together soon before the rest of the division does.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Tbh. None of the contenders are there. Look at the leads in the divisions. Boston is basically it. Everyone else is one of two games above .500
Parity is rampant, yup. This was probably the worst western Canada trip in the Crosby era though. The scores look justified. It's not just getting stonewalled or whatever.
They're just flat.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I was at the game tonight. Man, both teams came out looking like dog shit in the first period. The Canucks are plain bad and the Pens looked COMPLETELY disinterested in the game.

Pens were lucky to be gifted some PPs at the end of the 2nd. Seeing our horrible PP in person was a sight to behold. They just look completely and utterly lost. Zone entries trash. When they have possession, guys are just standing still and waiting for nonexistent passing lanes to show up. The flat footedness is maddening.

A strong start to the third (despite giving up a goal) was the only fight they showed. To quote a certain coach, "a pathetic performance."

The only real standout to me was Rakell. Kapanen looked interested but just didn't have much going. Malkin interested but forcing plays that weren't there. Letang is a bonehead on the PP but had made a few awesome plays.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Beat the Canucks 4-1 in Vancouver with a Jake hatty.
Lost in Calgary in OT 2-1.

This is much worse. This was 15-5 over the 3 games.

One thing we have to have faith in is our early season schedule is awful so if we get through it at like .600 we have a weak second half for the first time in years.

Would it kill Sully to put a hungry youngin with Geno or Sid?

I’d be interested in seeing what Poulin or Poehling could do up there. Wishful thinking, I know.

Yes, he would literally aneurysm

Reactions: Trade

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also, while I'm not putting this (or the Edmonton) loss on him, I'm not sold that Jarry's the guy going forward. Certainly not when his contract is up and he'll be looking for a raise.

I think he's an average starter who, just like most average starters, can go on hot stretches but also is prone to bad stretches. He's not shown anything to me that suggests he's someone we can count on consistently when the team is crappy and need their goalie to steal them games. Certainly not for anything over $5 million per.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What is troubling to me is how Sullivan has been yelling at them and grinding them in practice over coming out flat and yet they continue to do it.

He's not getting fired and the core by all accounts wanted him back. So...better figure that out dudes.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Would it kill Sully to put a hungry youngin with Geno or Sid?

I’d be interested in seeing what Poulin or Poehling could do up there. Wishful thinking, I know.
I liked Heinen there. No idea why that was broken up. Dude scored 2 goals and helped a lot with zone time.

1667020768053.png

Why does this warrant being scrapped? He was fine.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Also, while I'm not putting this (or the Edmonton) loss on him, I'm not sold that Jarry's the guy going forward. Certainly not when his contract is up and he'll be looking for a raise.

I think he's an average starter who, just like most average starters, can go on hot stretches but also is prone to bad stretches. He's not shown anything to me that suggests he's someone we can count on consistently when the team is crappy and need their goalie to steal them games. Certainly not for anything over $5 million per.

Yeah, if the cap goes up, I'm fine with like 5x4 or something, but anything larger would be a really worrisome contract.

I like Jarry and I think he's a # 1, but he's just too inconsistent and gets thrown off very easily.

What is troubling to me is how Sullivan has been yelling at them and grinding them in practice over coming out flat and yet they continue to do it.

He's not getting fired and the core by all accounts wanted him back. So...better figure that out dudes.

I mean, you can yell at them but when you gift Carter and Dumoulin substantial minutes when they are bleeding goals against why does anyone give a shit?

Reactions: Pens x

BobCole

May 21, 2014

Couldn't disagree with this more. I have to think hard to remember bad goals he's given up (compare that to MAF back in the day). Jarry's stood on his head when the team has been shelled in its own end and given up countless (and I mean countless) odd-man rushes and high-danger scoring chances against. I think he's been the LEAST of our problems and probably makes the team look better than it is.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I mean, you can yell at them but when you gift Carter and Dumoulin substantial minutes when they are bleeding goals against why does anyone give a shit?
Dumo is a major problem. Carter at least might be less of one if Blueger ever comes back. Maybe they can get Carter's minutes down then. Dumo is just locked into that spot, seemingly.

Reactions: Andy99

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
This team doesn’t grind. It doesn’t play a transition game. There are no defensemen dictating things either.

What’s the game plan?
We are pacing ourselves. Our game plan is to increase property values in the glorious province of Alberta by convincing the world Calgary and Edmonton are west coast. Like SLC and Denver. Vancouver doesn't need our help. Think big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad