GDT: Game #8 - YOUR New Jersey Devils (3-2-2) at the Ottawa Senators (4-1), MSG+2 TV

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Our defensive and PK issues are all about communication IMO.

Communication is a big issue I agree but there is basic stuff we aren't doing either. Like clears.

Greene needed to clear that puck on the 2nd goal. He did look better during evens though.

One other note. Cory needs a leash. Twice tonight he nearly got caught out of net again. He does lots and lots of things really well. Handling the puck isn't one of them.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
It literally took 1/3 of the season last year for us to allow 11 PPG against. It took 8 games this year

It literally took 8 games last year for us to get our first regulation win. Rather take the lesser of the two evils. I hope the rest would agree. The Pk can be worked on. Those lack of points from last year can not.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If DeBoer would smarten up and play Zubrus on the 4th line where he belongs, I promise I'll go a few games without complaining about him and coaching.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't want to break up the 4th line. They look solid haha

He only played 12 minutes tonight fwiw

I think you could swap him and Ruutu and get a pretty similar result from the 4th line.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What do you really see in Ruutu? I understand he is better than Tootoo but what else?

I thought he was decent last year when we got him. You can't convince me he won't produce more than Zubrus. Each of them have 1 point and Zubrus has played with every line so far. Ruutu has played with trash. He's also 5 years younger.

I don't know how you can argue that Ruutu isn't the better player in current time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think Ruutu is a little faster and better offensively than Zubrus, but I think Zubrus is better along the boards and defensively. So it's really a wash for me. We've also never really seen Ruutu in a top six role with this team. He's pretty much always been used as a bottom six forward in his time with the Devils outside of a brief stint with Zajac and Jagr. I just don't know if there would be that much of a difference between them, but I guess anything is worth a shot.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Ruutu is a little faster and better offensively than Zubrus, but I think Zubrus is better along the boards and defensively. So it's really a wash for me. We've also never really seen Ruutu in a top six role with this team. He's pretty much always been used as a bottom six forward in his time with the Devils outside of a brief stint with Zajac and Jagr. I just don't know if there would be that much of a difference between them, but I guess anything is worth a shot.

Zubs looked better with Henrique and Ryder and had a few chances tonight and some good possession and board work. Ryder had some chances as well.

Clowe looked better with Elias as well and that line did pretty well possession wise.

Top line did almost nothing. Jagr topping the list as he was missing a lot of passes but he of course made up for a blah game.

Not our best game of the year but not our worst either and definitely better then last night.

Cory was much better tonight. First goal looked worse then it was. Much better shot when I saw the replay and the PKers blew it. Merrill was playing to high and Sal skated away for some reason (I guess to take away the pass?). He made some big saves too.

Only thing is the puck handling. It gets scary at times and I know he is going to get caught one if these days and the board will self destruct.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
Zubs looked better with Henrique and Ryder and had a few chances tonight and some good possession and board work. Ryder had some chances as well.

Clowe looked better with Elias as well and that line did pretty well possession wise.

Top line did almost nothing. Jagr topping the list as he was missing a lot of passes but he of course made up for a blah game.

Not our best game of the year but not our worst either and definitely better then last night.

Cory was much better tonight. First goal looked worse then it was. Much better shot when I saw the replay and the PKers blew it. Merrill was playing to high and Sal skated away for some reason (I guess to take away the pass?). He made some big saves too.

Only thing is the puck handling. It gets scary at times and I know he is going to get caught one if these days and the board will self destruct.

I think it is something the coaching staff wants him to work on, feel like there were some articles during offseason.

Square pegs and round holes. Cory is different stylistically from Marty and has never been much of a puck handler.

Seems this org has trouble adjusting to players who don't necessarily fit within the long term org philosophy.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Cory being more involved makes sense given our troubles getting out of our own end quickly. If he can make a pass to a defenseman who can then skate it or pass it out of our zone, the forwards don't have to come as far back and can stay up in a more aggressive offensive position. Which is helpful with some of the slower forwards we have.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We have more puck movers now, where we don't need the goalie to really handle the puck as much.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Saw the highlights, sounds like a nice win! With this roster, you take the two points any way you can take them!

To give Severson those types of minutes and see him have the game he had was fantastic. He seems to be the real deal. Sounds like Cory had another pretty solid game also, despite the small gaffe on the 1st goal.

I think many people need to come to grips that the team is far from perfect and that there are going to be bumps in the road. It was said best already, we didn't have this many wins until November last year! It's some refreshing perspective to take in.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It literally took 8 games last year for us to get our first regulation win. Rather take the lesser of the two evils. I hope the rest would agree. The Pk can be worked on. Those lack of points from last year can not.

I think it's fair to say the PK will not be this bad all season. Have to figure(hope?) that this is the worst stretch we see from the PK this season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What do you really see in Ruutu? I understand he is better than Tootoo but what else?

Ruutu skates pretty well. It was my fear when the trade was made that we acquired yet another slow old dude. But he has wheels. He also lays some big hits(see last night), and is willing to go in front of the net(see Gelinas goal night b4).

And he has some good offensive seasons on his resume, produced decently with us last year too.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I'm noticing the DMen are playing way too high for whatever reason

Who knows. I'm hoping it's fixable. Was vikhenkiv that good ? I don't know. But it's not like it's a few odd plays the pk is way on its heels and giving too much time and space to the point men when it gets moved across

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Saw the highlights, sounds like a nice win! With this roster, you take the two points any way you can take them!

To give Severson those types of minutes and see him have the game he had was fantastic. He seems to be the real deal. Sounds like Cory had another pretty solid game also, despite the small gaffe on the 1st goal.

I think many people need to come to grips that the team is far from perfect and that there are going to be bumps in the road. It was said best already, we didn't have this many wins until November last year! It's some refreshing perspective to take in.

They have played ok. I think the big problems right now are the following

Too many quality chances against and shots
Pk
Team speed.

The question is are the first two a result of the lack of speed

The big improvement is our offensive production from the defense which is markedly improved truth is though the forwards need to start producing goals. Zajac Ryder etc. Ryder has had his chances but oh well zajac has started past few seasons slow he seems to pick up his game as season progresses.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I think it's fair to say the PK will not be this bad all season. Have to figure(hope?) that this is the worst stretch we see from the PK this season.

Probably is a fair assessment and we definitely will have decent pp to go along w it

Especially if Gomez ever signs the pp would actually have potential to be very dangerous as he still is really good at gaining the offensive zone

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Does anybody remember just a few years ago when when we didn't have a single defenseman who could score a goal or rush the puck?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Does anybody remember just a few years ago when when we didn't have a single defenseman who could score a goal or rush the puck?

And we had forwards that were begging for a puck mover to get them the puck with speed. Imagine these young D being able to feed Kovy and Zach. It's a total 180...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad