GDT: Game #8 - YOUR New Jersey Devils (3-2-2) at the Ottawa Senators (4-1), MSG+2 TV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And we had forwards that were begging for a puck mover to get them the puck with speed. Imagine these young D being able to feed Kovy and Zach. It's a total 180...

This young D would be rendered irrelevant with Kovalchuk playing 25 minutes a night, starting every rush and taking a point on the PP for a full 2 minutes. Kovalchuk leaving was the biggest opportunity for the entire defense...and you saw the returns immediately with Greene producing from the very point Kovalchuk occupied. Not to mention the opportunity it opened for Gelinas.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This young D would be rendered irrelevant with Kovalchuk playing 25 minutes a night, starting every rush and taking a point on the PP for a full 2 minutes. Kovalchuk leaving was the biggest opportunity for the entire defense...and you saw the returns immediately with Greene producing from the very point Kovalchuk occupied. Not to mention the opportunity it opened for Gelinas.

We'll never know if he still would have been taking the full two minutes on the PP. When he was taking the full two minutes on the PP, Foster/Zidlicky and Greene were literally our only other reliable point options, it's not like 17 was preventing someone else from being able to do it. Gelinas didn't come up till last year and Severson this year.

Greene got 1:56 TOI per game on the PP in '12-13 (Kovy's last year) and 2:21 last year, that's not that much a difference. It was between '11-12 and '12-13 that Greene's PP icetime spiked, after Larsson wasn't getting PP time anymore. It was really him he replaced on the PP.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Oh my goodness I just saw Severson's goal, what an absolute rocket! Watching the condensed highlights can only do so much, but wow Severson has been nothing short of fantastic early on. I thought he's been great up until now, but I think I'll join some of you and start calling it like I see it. This kid looks special, even the play that led to his goal was great awareness to intercept the pass.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The intercepted pass by Severson right before the goal was what impressed me the most, his skating is so quick too and that shot was an absolute lazer. I don't know if its just a hot streak or what - but he's looked like NJD's most promising defensive prospect thus far.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We'll never know if he still would have been taking the full two minutes on the PP. When he was taking the full two minutes on the PP, Foster/Zidlicky and Greene were literally our only other reliable point options, it's not like 17 was preventing someone else from being able to do it. Gelinas didn't come up till last year and Severson this year.

Greene got 1:56 TOI per game on the PP in '12-13 (Kovy's last year) and 2:21 last year, that's not that much a difference. It was between '11-12 and '12-13 that Greene's icetime spiked, when Larsson wasn't getting PP time anymore. It was really him he replaced on the PP.
It's not just the PP though...5v5 Kovalchuk took the puck up the ice every single play...Zidlicky last year was able to do more of that and his numbers reflected it...

But beyond that, Kovalchuk made it tough on the D with those dangles right inside the blue line....so in those situation the D has to sit back watching to see what happens as opposed to driving the play.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The intercepted pass by Severson right before the goal was what impressed me the most, his skating is so quick too and that shot was an absolute lazer. I don't know if its just a hot streak or what - but he's looked like NJD's most promising defensive prospect thus far.
Not just of this group....Ever.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009

That play was pretty much Darrelle Revis jumping a route for a pick 6

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
He's looked like he had the moxie and talent to be this guy for at least a year and a half.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It took Scott Niedermayer 3 years and the cover of Scott Stevens to play defense as well as Severson is right now.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It literally took 1/3 of the season last year for us to allow 11 PPG against. It took 8 games this year

Last year through the first 8 games we took 25 minor penalties (avg of about 3 per game)

This year through the first 8 games we've already taken 37 minor penalties (avg of about 5 per game)

While the PK hasn't been great this year statistically, it has been for the most part fine systematically

When you are shorthanded that frequently every game, guys are going to get more run down than they normally would because they are out there playing with more ice to cover for an average of 10 more minutes every game

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Last year through the first 8 games we took 25 minor penalties (avg of about 3 per game)

This year through the first 8 games we've already taken 37 minor penalties (avg of about 5 per game)

While the PK hasn't been great this year statistically, it has been for the most part fine systematically

When you are shorthanded that frequently every game, guys are going to get more run down than they normally would because they are out there playing with more ice to cover for an average of 10 more minutes every game

sorry, I don't agree. they are the WORST PK in the entire league. Thats more than taking too many penalties.

Camille the Eel

so remember . . . win or lose every night - when the fan in me goes from elation to despair based on an overtime goal for or against on any given night -

that is, remember what the development of Severson right now means for rebuilding this team - because if all continues to go well this is a core player, maybe the core player for the next generation here.

He's that good.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Thats great, we understand that statistically, but then what is the problem systematically?

part of it is that the DMen are playing way too high. at least thats one thing I am noticing

it is exposing the down low stuff way too much and thats where a lot of the PPG against are generating from.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
part of it is that the DMen are playing way too high. at least thats one thing I am noticing

it is exposing the down low stuff way too much and thats where a lot of the PPG against are generating from.

Merrill was so far out of position on the 1st goal. Chiasson had all day to skate right in front.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Imagine if Kovy didn't HAVE to start every rush and didn't HAVE to play two full minutes on the PP because of the inclusion of competent D men.

Anyway I'm not going to argue with you about this. I know your irrational hate of Kovy is just as bad as the irrational love or hate relationships that many posters, including myself, have with certain players or people within the organization. So further discussion is useless.

But imagine if Parise didn't have to spend 98% of his time in the D zone covering for the bumbling D men and instead could start up the ice and get the puck with speed on a regular basis. Might have been able to do something special.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Thats great, we understand that statistically, but then what is the problem systematically?

feels like the box is too big honestly. Teams can just use two and attack any corner down low, especially if Salvador is one of them.

And I've been saying forever it feels like passes or going through them like crazy, now its finally showing on the PK %.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Merrill's skating looked laboring to me last night...I almost wonder if he is dinged up. He just didn't have smooth look in his movement at all. Maybe fatigue from back to back games? I don't know, but he looked off to me last night.

Conversely I thought Gelinas played his best game as a devil last night.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
put him with severson

and then gelinas with zidlicky on the other pairing.

Or just let him float on a wing and slam pucks on 1 timers

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

feels like the box is too big honestly. Teams can just use two and attack any corner down low, especially if Salvador is one of them.

And I've been saying forever it feels like passes or going through them like crazy, now its finally showing on the PK %.

I've noticted they've been doing that a bit more frequently as well, but some of it is a result of us playing tight down low, causing teams being forced to move the puck up top by the blue line against us more frequently and that sometimes leads to our guys committing too high. I'm not too worried with that because we have a responsible group of defensive players out there usually able to cover their ground

Two of the bigger issues I've noticed have been us losing control of the puck and failing to clear when we have control of the puck which is more of a player issue than system and it's hurt us, Greene and Zajac specifically have had some trouble in both areas for whatever reason and they are normally among our best in both areas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad