GDT: Game 73 - Avs @ Wild - On the Table - 6PM

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Who would have thought that the only thing he needed to adjust to a new team was more games.

Not like the exact same thing happened to Bernier last year or anything like that...:sarcasm:

The dude had 30 games, it's not like he was eating nachos the whole season. He had multiple times he could have stole the starting position by simply playing average. Instead he managed to play worse than a .900 sv% goalie.

With that being said, Grubs is starting to seem like Varly 2.0. Can steal games when he's on his game, but a sieve when he's struggling.

Hopefully he can show enough this last stretch for Joe to have enough confidence to roll with Grubs + Frankie.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Why are people in a hurry to get rid of Calvert?

I've ragged on him a lot this season, but if he's a 10-12 minute per game 4th liner busting his tail every shift and providing the occasional goal, what's the issue? Obviously, keep him the **** away from the top-6 because he's not that sort of player (see MacKinnon dropping him the puck for an empty netter and Calvert whiffing). But I have no issues with him in a 4th line role.

Of course, I'd prefer him to be a lot cheaper, but money isn't an issue right now.

The players that this team needs to get rid of in the summer, IMO, are Alexander Kerfoot, Colin Wilson, Sven Andrighetto, and Gabriel Bourque.
He's basically a rich man's McLeod. Does all the same positive things, intangibles, etc, only better.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Makar is still playing for Mass U. Rantanen extension would be huge. But like SEPH said it's probably a Dater-style side project

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Why are people in a hurry to get rid of Calvert?

I've ragged on him a lot this season, but if he's a 10-12 minute per game 4th liner busting his tail every shift and providing the occasional goal, what's the issue? Obviously, keep him the **** away from the top-6 because he's not that sort of player (see MacKinnon dropping him the puck for an empty netter and Calvert whiffing). But I have no issues with him in a 4th line role.

Of course, I'd prefer him to be a lot cheaper, but money isn't an issue right now.

The players that this team needs to get rid of in the summer, IMO, are Alexander Kerfoot, Colin Wilson, Sven Andrighetto, and Gabriel Bourque.
Calvert won every nearly every board battle he was in tonight. Damn near all of them. Having him in the bottom 6 is fine with me. Guy works hard and gets the occasional goal. The price tag sucks but it aint my money and last I checked the Avs have cap space.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
My three best bets are:

1. Landy is coming back a lot sooner than expected. or

2. Cale Morris has agreed to sign with the Avs but they can't announce it until he ends his season, or

3. Cale Makar has agreed to sign with the Avs but they can't announce it until he ends his season.

I think it's Morris.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I went to bed after the 1st and had a dream we won 8-4. Well 3-1 is still nice. Grubauer looked great from the highlights.

Reactions: Avs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Now that's how a team that wants to make the playoffs plays!

That's the kind of energy and battle that's been missing for so long. What a game by everyone. Especially the guys who've been struggling. Cole with his best game in 4-5 months. Wilson with a hell of a game. Nemeth with a hell of a game. Calvert and Bourque with really solid games.

Jost continues to fly around the zone and look dangerous. Really nice finish on the biggest goal of the year.

Barrie had tons of jump in this game too. He loves playing against Minny. Absolute bomb from him on his goal.

Grubauer easily with his best game of the year. He must love this time of year, because he did the same thing last season. Had a little puck luck late in the 3rd, but he was battling like crazy out there, making big save after big save. If he can keep that up the Avs have a legit chance.

Most impressive thing about this win, is they got it done without a goal from the top line guys. Not sure how many times that's happened this season, if at all.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Grubs continues to keep dominating. I love how he's really seeing the puck out there, especially his movement in the crease starting to look like he's found his game.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I might be looking like a slobbering idiot right now because of all the things I've said about Grubauer but I gladly take it. He's been very good for a while now and I applaud his ability to come back and play so well after almost ruining his NHL career earlier in this season.
Always good to beat Minnesota. Pretty much the whole team played well although Kerfoot left me wanting a bit more. f*** the Wild!

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Who would have thought that the only thing he needed to adjust to a new team was more games.

Not like the exact same thing happened to Bernier last year or anything like that...:sarcasm:

Are you going to spam this nonsense after every good game by Grubauer from now on? Before this streak that started againts Nashville Grubauer was statistically 64th out of total of 68th goalies who had played over 10 games by save percentage. Only Chad Johnson had worst statistic than Grubauer if we are just focusing on goalies that changed teams after last season. Adjustment thing would have been nice excuse if Grubauer hadn't been as bad as he was.

Now he is playing very well but trying to captain hindsight that he should have had more games earlier is just stupid. Also Bernier' streak started after 13 games and he had svs% of .893 before that. It took Grubauer 23 games with svs% .890 to figure it out. That isn't a comparison that you want have as a Grubauer.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Dater’s tweet is probably going to be something like a G. Bourque or Ian Cole extension after they didn’t have terrible games last night.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m just glad Grubauer is show that he can at least occasionally be great. That’s pretty much what Varly is, and as much as I hate it, we need him to be expendable. We’re going to need to use that salary elsewhere to take the next step.

Good, much needed, win. Thrilled to hang around another day.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It's a BSN thing. If it's Avs related it might be Timmins playing his first game for the Eagles or Landy returning early but I bet it's just a BSN thing.

I would bet its BSN related. Probably a new subscription push, perhaps with a free t-shirt.

I like how he phrases his tweet, "when you have some big news you think will happen." It's like saying, "I may have some big news if my speculation is correct."

Reactions: klozge

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Lets hope Grubauer continues his solid play, Varlamov is not the answer and should sit the rest of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad