GDT: Game 73 - Avs @ Wild - On the Table - 6PM

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Solid win at a crucial time. Can't ask for more than that.

Incidentally, while he deserves full credit for the outlet pass to spring Jost for the GWG, one shift from Colin Wilson in the closing minutes just kinda embodied everything that makes me want him gone. Gets a clean breakaway, sends the shot over the net (and he was visibly upset about that too). Puck goes the other way, he's a bit late getting back but whatever, probably a bit winded at that point. But then he makes some weak-ass clearing attempt up-ice and gives it right to the Wild player on the point, who then sends it back down for another scoring chance.

I don't buy for a minute that he won't get a decent deal elsewhere. Probably not a raise on his current contract (though the market has inflated quite a bit in recent years) but he'll get something. My guess is Columbus or Arizona. But I definitely don't want him in Colorado next season. I slag on the guy a ton but honestly he's been okay as an interim guy. But that's all he is.

Anyhow, guess we'll see if these guys can get over the hump tomorrow. But I don't mind one bit that the Wylde had their playoff hopes dimmed somewhat at the hands of the Avs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If Wilson came back next year at minimal term and money I’d be fine with him as a pure 4th liner. But that’s about it really. Not a horrible option as he can fill in on the 3rd line and be fine, but the fact that he’s a 2nd liner here is bad.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Solid win at a crucial time. Can't ask for more than that.

Incidentally, while he deserves full credit for the outlet pass to spring Jost for the GWG, one shift from Colin Wilson in the closing minutes just kinda embodied everything that makes me want him gone. Gets a clean breakaway, sends the shot over the net (and he was visibly upset about that too). Puck goes the other way, he's a bit late getting back but whatever, probably a bit winded at that point. But then he makes some weak-ass clearing attempt up-ice and gives it right to the Wild player on the point, who then sends it back down for another scoring chance.

I don't buy for a minute that he won't get a decent deal elsewhere. Probably not a raise on his current contract (though the market has inflated quite a bit in recent years) but he'll get something. My guess is Columbus or Arizona. But I definitely don't want him in Colorado next season. I slag on the guy a ton but honestly he's been okay as an interim guy. But that's all he is.

Anyhow, guess we'll see if these guys can get over the hump tomorrow. But I don't mind one bit that the Wylde had their playoff hopes dimmed somewhat at the hands of the Avs.

We were all visibly upset when he couldn't even hit the net.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Also... watching Nemeth ride Zucker hard into the boards late in the third was beautiful to watch, dude goes down then hangs onto his arm and stick which is of course a no call :skeptic:

Best part about that is Foligno hammered Nemeth into the boards face first a shift or two before that in the same corner. You can tell Nemeth had that in mind when he moved to make sure he did the same to Zucker. Badass response. Been missing that kind of "don't eff with me" attitude out of this team outside of Calvert.

Reactions: MacBradley

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Avs are just gonna torture us aren't they? Wish they were sitting solid in a playoff position or just been mathematically out of it right now. Basically there is just one spot Avs are fighting for with Phoenix, Minnesota and Chicago, Avs have a harder schedule than Phoenix and don't have tie breaker against the Wild or the Yotes. It's still gonna be extremely difficult to make it
Playing meaningful games this late in the season is the next best thing to making it in I guess. I understand what you mean though.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Ugh, and they sent Greer to Eagles this morning *SMH*

What was the point of the call up? Did this win make the importance of the remaining games so significant as to not take the risk that swapping Greer for one of the obviously useless plugs might lead to a loss and thus no playoffs? By last count probability of making the playoffs is still pretty low given the situation the team put itself in.

Man he's getting jerked around. Going to be pissed if they trade him w/o giving him a real shot. Guy has shown solid if not significant improvement this year and brings something that (at least to my eyes) is sorely lacking from the bottom six (size and grit).

Reactions: klozge

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
What was the point of the call up? Did this win make the importance of the remaining games so significant as to not take the risk that swapping Greer for one of the obviously useless plugs might lead to a loss and thus no playoffs? By last count probability of making the playoffs is still pretty low given the situation the team put itself in.

Man he's getting jerked around. Going to be pissed if they trade him w/o giving him a real shot. Guy has shown solid if not significant improvement this year and brings something that (at least to my eyes) is sorely lacking from the bottom six (size and grit).
He makes 10x more money when he's on the Avs roster. 8 games with the Avs is equal to an entire season with the Eagles. I'm sure he's fine

Reactions: MacBradley

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
There has got to be something more to it. There is no way between both the coaching staff and front office they would be OK with just blatantly wasting one of our limited call-ups.

Right?...........right? :help:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If Wilson came back next year at minimal term and money I’d be fine with him as a pure 4th liner. But that’s about it really. Not a horrible option as he can fill in on the 3rd line and be fine, but the fact that he’s a 2nd liner here is bad.

I don't think it's wise even if it's league minimum especially if Bednar is still here. It's Bednar I don't trust to resist the temptation to play him up in the lineup rather than Wilson himself. If I could get a guarantee that he'd be stapled to the 4th line, then sure but I doubt that's how it would play out.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think it's wise even if it's league minimum especially if Bednar is still here. It's Bednar I don't trust to resist the temptation to play him up in the lineup rather than Wilson himself. If I could get a guarantee that he'd be stapled to the 4th line, then sure but I doubt that's how it would play out.

That’s fair. I would hope Bednar isn’t back next year but we’ll see.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'll never understand the Wilson hate around here, he consistently wins board battles and is not afraid to go to the front of the net to score. It's not a coincidence that he seems to have 3-4 prime scoring chances a game, sure you'd like him to finish more of those but he's by no means hurting the team in any way.

I think it’s the fact that he plays 2nd line minutes. If he played on the 3rd or 4th line there would be way less hate. Like I said I’d bring him back if I knew he wouldn’t play a lick of time on the 2nd line but as a 3rd/4th liner I think he’d be fine.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'll never understand the Wilson hate around here, he consistently wins board battles and is not afraid to go to the front of the net to score. It's not a coincidence that he seems to have 3-4 prime scoring chances a game, sure you'd like him to finish more of those but he's by no means hurting the team in any way.

Wilson playing that role on a 4th line or temporarily substituting for an injured player on the 3rd line is fine but in no way should he be on our PP (#1 or #2) and he shouldn't be anywhere close to a scoring line. The main problem is that he's been in all those situations this year and sure, there are nights where his work ethic pays off (like last night) but on most nights, it's just a bad fit and plays tend to die on his stick.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

Well, it may not be a coincidence that he seems to have 3-4 prime scoring chances a game, but it's also not a coincidence that he somehow manages to muff on almost every single one.

FTR I do think he hurt the team upon returning from injury. The team was playing better without him, and upon his return (and Cole's) they slowed the Avs down by a considerable margin. That isn't necessarily his fault but I also don't think his defensive acumen is all that good. Too often there's an obvious assignment he fails to cover and that guy ends up wide open. And at the other end of the ice he simply doesn't have the finish. There are way too many forwards on the Avs currently who do that to justify keeping another.

Look, I'll freely admit my hate for the guy is over-the-top right now but even from a more pragmatic perspective, I just don't think he's worth a long-term investment. He's not reliable enough defensively, not reliable enough offensively, and in two years hasn't been able to stay healthy enough through an 82-game season. The guy was basically a salary dump from the Preds for a 4th rounder...I suppose he was worth that, but not much more. Like Blake Comeau, he's an interim guy, and like Blake Comeau I think he'll be very replaceable.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I don't believe anyone really thinks Wilson hurts the team. He's captain average for a reason.

I would assume most people would even be okay bringing him back in a bottom 6 role. The problem currently is that he's overpaid.

Boy his lack of finish in frustrating though. You can see how he managed to score 20 that one year. Probably took a bit of puck luck.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't believe anyone really thinks Wilson hurts the team. He's captain average for a reason.

I would assume most people would even be okay bringing him back in a bottom 6 role. The problem currently is that he's overpaid.

Boy his lack of finish in frustrating though. You can see how he managed to score 20 that one year. Probably took a bit of puck luck.

Really? I can point out at least two recent goals against in losing efforts (Stars and Ducks, specifically) that can be directly attributed to him completely ignoring the forward he was supposed to pick up. He absolutely has hurt the team with poor defensive play, weak clearing attempts, bad turnovers, and a complete failure to convert prime scoring chances. He's being paid to score goals. So score some f***ing goals, because he sure as shit isn't making up for it with defense.

He's obviously not the ONLY guy guilty of those things, but his sure do seem to stand out. Again, he's a perfectly...okay player. But when you couple his supreme mediocrity with his inability to stay in the lineup, you have a guy who doesn't justify any further investment. I knew it wasn't going to happen but I sure wish Sakic had moved him during the season, even if the return was paltry.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
If we had the Wilson that came screaming out of the gates and looked fast on his skates at the beginning of the season all year it’d be a different story from our fan base but he just can’t stay healthy and in that top form.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Wilson hate stems from his price tag, his inability to finish, and his downright refusal to pass the puck a lot of the time.

Though Andrighetto lately has been worse than Wilson, he simply does not want to pass the puck to ANYONE out there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Wilson is one of the few forwards on the team who can consistently win a board battle and forecheck like a hound, especially with Nieto out of the picture. He did a lot of dirty work on the top PP unit while he was on there that didn't earn him a lot of credit. He may not be a natural finisher or great defensively but he does add something to the team. Not $4m worth of something, but he's a fine utility forward on a team like ours.

That said, I still think there's no way he gets re-signed this summer. Spend his money on a legit free agent for the top six, there's plenty of reasons not to keep him around even at a reduced salary.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Wilson hate stems from his price tag, his inability to finish, and his downright refusal to pass the puck a lot of the time.

Though Andrighetto lately has been worse than Wilson, he simply does not want to pass the puck to ANYONE out there.
I thought ghetto has looked decent the last few games and you know my dislike for him lol. One could even go so far as to say hes been Passable.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
The sole reason why Wilson get overplayed is that we don't have actual have 2nd line players AT ALL. Jost/Kerfoot/JTC/Ghetto - none of those fellas is good enough for that spot. So Bednar plays Colin knowing that at least he can trust him defensively and that he's busting his ass off every single shift.

Of course Wilson is better suited in a bottom 6 role making half the money he's making. But i get why Bednar is playing him that high in the lineup even when he drives us all nuts missing all those chances. Because with Landy/Nieto out who should play there instead?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah Wilson is overpaid but he has 20 points and 10 goals, on a healthy season he could've hit 15 goals and 30 Points. That really isnt bae production for a bottom 6 forward, and Wilson is actually pretty strong on the forecheck and in the corners.

At ~2.5M he'd be a nice player to have.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah Wilson is overpaid but he has 20 points and 10 goals, on a healthy season he could've hit 15 goals and 30 Points. That really isnt bae production for a bottom 6 forward, and Wilson is actually pretty strong on the forecheck and in the corners.

At ~2.5M he'd be a nice player to have.
That's the other thing. He gets hurt often. At 2.5 imma pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->