Post-Game Talk: GAME 71 - OLE OLE OLE - BRUINS 4 Poutineville 2

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I’m as big of a Trent fan as there is but if they were to play Hathaway over him I would understand it

I’m not sure what they’ll do so I won’t even speculate on it in fear of jinxing them with injuries lol
I don’t know how you play Hathaway over Frederic Game 1. Im not even sure how you take him off the third line tbh

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t know how you play Hathaway over Frederic Game 1. Im not even sure how you take him off the third line tbh
To me it’s a “problem” you worry about when you get there. Chances are somebody goes down in the mean time and it doesn’t became an “or” situation

I wouldn’t break up the 3rd line though. I agree with that. If Hall comes back idk what will happen.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Lol do ppl expect Hathaway to beat the shit out of somebody every game? I honestly have no idea who you guys thought they acquired. He’s been a very good 4th liner

Finish hits, agitate, make plays. Simple. Very good 4th liner is rather generous. Make an appearance in a Bruins-Habs game would be ideal. Largely underwhelming and average so far... no chance he plays over Frederic/Foligno at this point. Hathaway has much to prove.

Orlov was of course the main return in the trade... but Hathaway needs to be more impactful. Closer to Nosek (replaceable) than even Foligno in terms of impact.

Reactions: BBruins

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
It’s a rivalry game. The record books go out the window when Boston plays Montreal. The Habs showed up and didn’t lay down. I can respect that. That game is exactly the way Bruins-Habs games should be played.

…..and Greer is an idiot.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Finish hits, agitate, make plays. Simple. Very good 4th liner is rather generous. Make an appearance in a Bruins-Habs game would be ideal. Largely underwhelming and average so far... no chance he plays over Frederic/Foligno at this point. Hathaway has much to prove.

Orlov was of course the main return in the trade... but Hathaway needs to be more impactful. Closer to Nosek (replaceable) than even Foligno in terms of impact.
He’s made plenty of impact since getting here. He’s been the most involved physically since getting here. Usually if there is an after whistle skirmish he’s on the ice. He just hasn’t done anything super greasy like we saw in Washington.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
After Greer got tossed, Hathaway wasn’t going to do anything on the line given his history.
Nor should he. After Greer got tossed (for sheer stupidity) we weren’t gonna risk losing another forward for the remaining two periods. That basically took away any borderline stuff on our side for the remainder of the game. I’m surprised Montreal didn’t try to instigate MORE stuff after that happened.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
They won tonight while barely breaking a sweat, playing at maybe 60% of their capabilities, thankfully Swayman was very good as the Bruins were badly outworked by a terrible Habs team. The PP coach Gruden needs outside help, this unit is becoming a serious problem and could cost the Bruins dearly in the playoffs. The lowly Habs PP looked miles better then Boston's and that's real concerning.
Any power play with Suzuki, Dach and Matheson is not lowly. If Montreal had Caufield , they probably win that game.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
To me it’s a “problem” you worry about when you get there. Chances are somebody goes down in the mean time and it doesn’t became an “or” situation

I wouldn’t break up the 3rd line though. I agree with that. If Hall comes back idk what will happen.
Taylor Hall walks right back into the Third Line and Bertuzzi moves down. No question. Greer gets fired into the sun and we don’t see him again for the rest of the season. As for the bottom 3, you’ve got a ton of options. All good ones. This team is loaded.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
If Bertuzzi ever dyes his hair blonde and shaves off his stache he could pass himself off as Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High
I remember a game vs Detroit years ago when he and Abdelkader were snickering on the bench and they looked a bit like Beavis and Butt-head lol. Bertuzzi used to always get my blood boiling so naturally I'm glad he's on the Bruins.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Hathaway is most likely gonna be our 4RW for the playoffs and I think Freddy’s solidified the 3RW. The tough choices are on the left. You have Hall, Bertuzzi, Foligno and Lauko competing for 2 spots. You can push Hathaway or Freddy out of the lineup and have 1 or 2 of those guys play on their off-wing, but I don’t know if that makes you significantly better.

It’s a good problem to have.

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

He’s done a lot of that, I really don’t know what you’re watching. He’s not Milan Lucic, idk what ppl were expecting. Said it in the Hathaway thread a day or two before he scored the gwg in Detroit

It’s not like he’s passing up on hits

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I 100% think he's not playing how he's played his entire career because 1. Either he was told to tone it down. Or 2. He's timid on doing that here.

Either way. It needs to be unleashed. Perhaps playoff time we will see that Hathaway.
As long as I've been a B's fan (well over 50 years now) the Bruins have prided themselves on playing tough, take no shit hockey without being dirty, cheap-shot artists, so I was surprised when they picked up Hathaway. He was probably told to play Bruins style hard-nosed hockey, without the really dirty cheap-shots, so he's still trying to adjust

He also needs to play smart and not take stupid, meaningless penalties that hurt the team

I personally, just want him to play smart, hard-nosed hockey, and hustle his ass off (which he usually does) without looking for trouble, unless it's looking for him, and be ready to defend your teammates whenever necessary

He's actually been a pleasant surprise for the Bruins so far, and I have no doubt he'll ramp up his A-holeishness a notch or two come playoff time when the refs start swallowing their whistles again

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
As long as I've been a B's fan (well over 50 years now) the Bruins have prided themselves on playing tough, take no shit hockey without being dirty, cheap-shot artists, so I was surprised when they picked up Hathaway. He was probably told to play Bruins style hard-nosed hockey, without the really dirty cheap-shots, so he's still trying to adjust

He also needs to play smart and not take stupid, meaningless penalties that hurt the team

I personally, just want him to play smart, hard-nosed hockey, and hustle his ass off (which he usually does) without looking for trouble, unless it's looking for him, and be ready to defend your teammates whenever necessary

He's actually been a pleasant surprise for the Bruins so far, and I have no doubt he'll ramp up his A-holeishness a notch or two come playoff time when the refs start swallowing their whistles again

100% agree

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
That Jake DeBrusk goal was a beauty, the sight of him skating all alone towards the net as the Habs D collapse on top of each other behind him… I am considering framing the image and putting it on my living room wall.

Attachments

• C470BB94-EEF1-4D39-B003-9327C2B88C6E.png
    C470BB94-EEF1-4D39-B003-9327C2B88C6E.png
    564.8 KB · Views: 2

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Taylor Hall walks right back into the Third Line and Bertuzzi moves down. No question. Greer gets fired into the sun and we don’t see him again for the rest of the season. As for the bottom 3, you’ve got a ton of options. All good ones. This team is loaded.

The Bruins gave up a 1st for a guy to play on the 4th line? I can't see it. Not ruling it out but I'll be genuinely shocked if Bertuzzi ends up on the 4th for any significant stretch of time. Frederic's done a solid job this season but IMO hasn't quite made the case that he must be retained on the 3rd no matter what. He doesn't deserve to be demoted but if/when everyone's healthy he just makes most sense to me playing on the 4th, ideally with Nosek and Foligno.

IDK, we'll see, and maybe Bert needs to do more himself to prove he deserves to remain in the middle 6 over others, but him just trundling around on the 4th would feel like a real waste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad