Post-Game Talk: GAME 71 - OLE OLE OLE - BRUINS 4 Poutineville 2

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Sorry to keep requesting this, but I missed much of the game as I was busy.

Which means I missed the scrums and physical play.

Neither NHL nor SportsNet include that content. They deliberately excise it.

Could someone post the physical aspects of last night's game?

I would appreciate it.

And, if anyone has suggestions for finding game highlights that aren't complete vanilla, please inform.

Thank you,

:help:

Marchand jumps Pitlick:

Greer crosschecks random Hab in the teeth

McAvoy jumps Evans after he snows Sway

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Th PP is a concern, to me they are trying to be to cute, not shooting making the hard passes. Simplify it. Easy passes, movement and for all things holy SHOOT!
Brick has mentioned it. Our entry into offensive zone has been the biggest problem. The skater will cross blue line and immediately tra a touch pass where it’s easy for the defensive player to clear. Carry puck deeper or chip it into the corner if you have step to get their first.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Brick has mentioned it. Our entry into offensive zone has been the biggest problem. The skater will cross blue line and immediately tra a touch pass where it’s easy for the defensive player to clear. Carry puck deeper or chip it into the corner if you have step to get their first.
I blamed McAvoy for this but now that he’s not on the top unit I got nothing.

Reactions: lopey

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I could watch Hoffmans reaction to that crosscheck to his face on a loop.lol

if it were up to me debrusk should be skating the puck in with speed every time.
get set up and move around. right now they are way too still in that zone and very predictable.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Hathaway is always in hard on the forecheck. He's exactly what they've been missing in the playoffs. Plus he can score..he's everything you want in a fourth liner and he should absolutely be in the lineup.

Foligno, against huge odds turned back time once this year. After this injury, it will take an almost Herculean effort for him to dislodge anyone from the line up if Hall is back in. I can't see him doing it again given the injury he suffered.

Reactions: Gordoff

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I blamed McAvoy for this but now that he’s not on the top unit I got nothing.
But you're not wrong - even last night, when they deployed the 2nd unit pretty much right away since the top line had that extended shift prior, I watched Mac grab the puck in the defensive zone with speed, then immediately SLOW TO A CRAWL at the blue line - it was almost like he was expecting to get stood up there.

I just don't think McAvoy is meant to be on the PP. I think they keep giving him looks just purely based on pedigree. I'd rather Gryz take that spot - yes, he may not be as strong up top, but he's faster and I feel like he'd do better in terms of rotation around the zone.

Reactions: Gordoff

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
But you're not wrong - even last night, when they deployed the 2nd unit pretty much right away since the top line had that extended shift prior, I watched Mac grab the puck in the defensive zone with speed, then immediately SLOW TO A CRAWL at the blue line - it was almost like he was expecting to get stood up there.

I just don't think McAvoy is meant to be on the PP. I think they keep giving him looks just purely based on pedigree. I'd rather Gryz take that spot - yes, he may not be as strong up top, but he's faster and I feel like he'd do better in terms of rotation around the zone.
I’d rather see Lindholm on PP1. Let McAvoy and Orlov on PP2 to transition to 5x5 easier.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Theres zero chance Hathaway sits in the post season. Post season is exactly why they got him. Being a pest on the 4th line is his specialty.

Fluto might be right. Could be Frederic that sits.
Berg, Marchand, debrusk
Krecji, zacha, pasta
Bert, coyle, hall
Nosek, Hathaway, fredric

Geez. The more I think about it the more I feel happy.

Nosek, Hathaway, fredric, foligno and Greer to choose from? Wow.

The bruins have 9 players that easily play top 6. Then they have freddie who can probably play second line minutes.

Foligno is our tough guy. I know ppl here don’t agree. But he is a pretty tough cookie who doesn’t mind punching a dude in the face. He also has a bit of a scoring touch.

Hathaway is an animal. Fast and nasty. He fits the bruins mold perfectly.

Greer has underrated hands, he throws his body around and he makes good decisions with the puck. He is the worst player on this team. I’m ok with that. I’m glad he still on the roster.

Nosek is smart and wins face offs all day. He is also big. U all know how I feel about big :p

ShiftyNifty16

Blow it up, burn it down, hit reset and start over
Apr 11, 2014
Earth
The Habs are only 9 pts out of 7th place. Just sayin'.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 8.42.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 8.42.59 AM.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 2

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Theres zero chance Hathaway sits in the post season. Post season is exactly why they got him. Being a pest on the 4th line is his specialty.

Fluto might be right. Could be Frederic that sits.
I don't want Hathaway to sit, I think he will be a damn solid addition in the playoffs. I think it might be Frederic as well. Not that he's having a bad year, quite the opposite, it's just that he doesn't seem fully engaged at times and the effort is far from consistent.

With Hathaway you know what you're getting every night.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don't want Hathaway to sit, I think he will be a damn solid addition in the playoffs. I think it might be Frederic as well. Not that he's having a bad year, quite the opposite, it's just that he doesn't seem fully engaged at times and the effort is far from consistent.

I just don't see Foligno recovering enough to be any kind of factor minimum first round and more than likely first 2. He has been out since Feb 28 and has he been skating hard yet?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Wrong in so many ways. The forwards are the problem Bergy has been terrible and the other 3 lose battles and make dumb passes while standing still.

McAvoy is very creative and a great passer, To say he's not a PP guy is well,

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I have mixed feelings on the record. So much stuff could happen like they set it and stay healthy heading into the PO but 37, 88 and 73 get injured inside the first two games and can't come back the remainder of the PO. Something like that happens, they aren't going further than a 1st round win. So yeah the record would mean something.

Of course, they could get injured early in the game they could clinch the record and not obtain the record and be bounced in R1...lol.

It absolutely appears its a slam dunk that management and the majority of fans don't care about it.

If it happens while they're going about things the way they would have without taking it into consideration (i.e. resting guys, rotating goalies, etc.) AND they win the cup it would be awesome.

If they break that record and don't win the cup, it really won't matter to most people, I'd think.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Th PP is a concern, to me they are trying to be to cute, not shooting making the hard passes. Simplify it. Easy passes, movement and for all things holy SHOOT!
0-5 again last night against a weak team. The good news is they are winning now even with a PP only hovering around 12-15% since the holidays. The bad news is that we've seen no improvement, and no one wants a bad PP be the difference in a tight playoff game between advancing or golfing.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Lack of movement is a big part off it.
Marchand and Pastrnak mostly just stand around on the PP. All marchand does is feed it to the middle. He should watch some Marc Savard highlights for what to do on the half wall. And Pastas just waiting for the one timer if he isn't turning it over. Too much expecting things to work and not enough forcing new looks.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal

Frederic has been more productive than Hathaway. He has better chemistry with his linemates because they have been playing together for a much longer time. He's been consistent enough to be part of a team that could be remembered as the best Bruins team ever. He ranks 8th on the Bruins for +/- at +27. Marchand is +26 and Krejci +24.

Last night's game against the Habs was a great time for Hathaway to shine and I had to look at the roster at some point because I wasn't even sure if he was playing or not.

I'm glad we have Hathaway as an insurance policy but if everyone is healthy I don't want him playing over Frederic.

Reactions: Kegs

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Yeah, it's a win against the Habs, a ninth in a row, all great, but still disappointed.
I understand that the Bruins are a bit on cruise control, but I would have really like a sound beating des Canadiens so I could have rubbed some more salt into the wounds of my fellow Habs fans.
Next time I guess!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad