GDT: Game 71: Avs @ Canucks | Wednesday, March 16th, 8pm MT | Land Vs Sea

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Watched the avs live for the first time in my life and wow, Duchene, Boedker and Skille are fast. Mackinnon had spurts where he really looked fast too. Holden really sucks live.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Watched most of the game on my phone at a Denny's and clapped like an idiot after Marty's goal. Got many weird looks. I have no regrets.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I kinda think we see a mini implosion we will see

Its possible.

They go through a tough stretch of games right now. 2 Teams still battling hard for playoffs in NJD/CAR. After that, they've got a brutal back 2 back game against CHI(After CAR) and then follow it up with another tough game against the Kings.

They're definitely capable of losing the next 4 straight. NJD was just embarrassed 7-1 against ANA so they'll come out firing tomorrow night for sure. And CAR is only 4 points back of a playoff spot still so they're trying to win every game.

It would be great if they lose the next 4 straight. I think we will win our next 2 and could build ourselves a 5 point advantage with a game in hand in that frame.

Could really make that COL/MIN game on the 26th a do or die game for Minny. If they're 5+ points back after that game I think they're done.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I am looking at the record, and I do watch other teams games. They went so dry there for a piece, and losing a coach as a uniting factor might not be the best imo. I am not saying this has to happen, just my thought or impression that they could massively collapse, like losing 5of 6 collapse. Nash as well has had some games that make you wonder....
Black-hawks playing so so... the great central myth that the season started with is been so much mist as the season heads into the bright afternoon sunshine, playoff fever grips the hockey world, and the Colorado Avalanche are poised to make a run. If we make the playoffs we need to address two issues. Penalties and needless passes from either our end.. ie the i do not know dump, or on the PP. simplify this stuff for the bodnerchuckiies out there.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Scandinavian power ftw :D

This was pretty much a perfect game for the Avs. Good goaltending, good defense and goals at the right time. Keep it up boys.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I felt Iggy had another good game. Strong along the boards, showed speed in short distances, actually broke out of our zone well, etc. He has adapted to Duchene's pace, it's good to see playoff Iggy in form.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I felt Iggy had another good game. Strong along the boards, showed speed in short distances, actually broke out of our zone well, etc. He has adapted to Duchene's pace, it's good to see playoff Iggy in form.
I don't really agree. He looked slow, and was losing the puck consistently. It's really sad watching him in the defensive zone, though. There was one point in the first period where Duchene stole the puck behind our net and looked for Iggy to pass it to on the breakout, and Iggy was towards the front of the net. Iggy just stood there, didn't move, and didn't give Duchene an option as he was swarmed by three Canucks players. I thought Grigorenko had a below average game too. Duchene carried them last night.

Liked the Avs game in the first period, but thought they were just OK the rest of the way. That Canucks team was terrible, and yet we were pinned in our own end a lot. They're going to need to be a lot better than that down the stretch.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
You definitely notice Iggy's lack of ability to keep up on that line. Not that I don't think he's necessarily putting in his best effort, he just can't keep up on a line with a couple of kids in their 20s.

I also see Iggy forechecking a lot on that line, which I don't know if is by design or just by circumstance of position but it's terrifying when he's half way into the offensive zone forechecking and an outlet pass hits and suddenly we're down a guy back in the defensive zone. He's still effective on the PP where he can just setup and wait for his shot, but that's mostly it except the occasional smarts play he'll make here and there. He's not awful, but he's definitely not great either.

Still concerned with the defensive play obviously, they let an impotent team like the Canucks basically embarrass them in their defensive zone - specifically the Sedin line killed them last night. We've been saying it all season but they're going to have to be better if they really want to compete in the playoffs - a team like LA or Chicago would have absolutely wiped the floor with them if given as many chances from miscues and mistakes as they gave the Canucks.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Didn't get to watch this game, how has Boedker been looking? His stats look alright since joining the Avs, does he seem like a solid fit?

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Didn't get to watch this game, how has Boedker been looking? His stats look alright since joining the Avs, does he seem like a solid fit?

He's looked great. I hope the Avs can find a way to sign him. Last night showed the stats will come, especially when he's able to make that 'x factor' play, basically both goals. The first one, he read the play perfectly (kind of bouncing/broken), great tip (accidental or not, would have to look at reply again) by Iggy to Boedker and he buries it. He will need to keep finding those scoring spots.

Second goal was just a good read on the defenseman backpedaling. He showed us he can use his speed/finesse to move around and popped Miller over the shoulder. It also exposed Miller's weakness last night and Marty was able to score on a similar move (more from the corner if I remember).

EDIT: Overall, good addition/upgrade from Tangs (if that's how you look at it) and fits in our system. We need his scoring instinct, but it's tough to say what he wants in terms of $$, if he'll decide to stay in Colorado, and if the Avs decide to spend money on him vs elsewhere....

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I still wouldn't give him more than 4.5M. I wouldn't say he's been great. To me, he's been up and down. There's been a few games where I haven't noticed him at all, like the Anaheim game, and then games like last night, where he made some big plays.

He's fit in pretty nicely, but if we only had the chance to re-sign one of them, I'd be more inclined to fit in Matthias, as long as his price tag is reasonable.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Boedker's been Boedker. Game breaker a lot of the time and invisible the rest of the time. Him and Mackinnon are indirectly making one another better though. They don't seem to have a lot of chemistry per say at this point but they are both opening up crazy room for the other. Boedker did make an amazing play last night to feed Mack with an absolute gift in front of the net though which was nice. Mack didn't realize it was going to get to him until it was pretty much on his stick and he hit it off two posts before it came out.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I really like Boedker, I think we wouldn't regret a 4.75-5.25 signing for him. He'd basically be replacing Iginla from a longer term perspective. We should see ~25/25 production from him at least which is good enough for me.

The only problem is if he decides to push for the big dollars in a weak UFA market, it's quite possible he gets it. It would be a bigger gamble than in past years though, based on last offseason there may not be a ton of teams that could fit in a bigger salary such as his.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I really like Boedker, I think we wouldn't regret a 4.75-5.25 signing for him. He'd basically be replacing Iginla from a longer term perspective. We should see ~25/25 production from him at least which is good enough for me.

The only problem is if he decides to push for the big dollars in a weak UFA market, it's quite possible he gets it. It would be a bigger gamble than in past years though, based on last offseason there may not be a ton of teams that could fit in a bigger salary such as his.

Agree and see it like this, as well. Either 25-25-50 or 20-30-50 type player. Looking at his career, he's played entirely with Arizona and has missed the majority of a couple seasons (guessing injury but don't know what they were), thus has he really had a chance to play with a lot of talent? We only know the Boedker Boedker has been based on this small sample. In comparison, we knew basically what we were getting in Soderberg, and he's having a career year here.

Second point is also spot on, unless I've missed an interview or two, I don't we've really heard a lot from him/his agent. I don't think we will until the season is over, he's not going to announce any intentions before then. It's not impossible the Avs quietly negotiate an extension and announce it randomly (they usually keep things pretty quiet until it's final), but I think the focus is on games right now, not business/contracts. Best case scenario for me is they keep winning and he decides he's willing to negotiate his demands to stick around.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'm still really hoping he signs with us for Beleskey type money - if we got him for around 4 a year I'd be stoked. He really hasn't proven much more than that is the thing.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He's looked great. I hope the Avs can find a way to sign him. Last night showed the stats will come, especially when he's able to make that 'x factor' play, basically both goals. The first one, he read the play perfectly (kind of bouncing/broken), great tip (accidental or not, would have to look at reply again) by Iggy to Boedker and he buries it. He will need to keep finding those scoring spots.

Second goal was just a good read on the defenseman backpedaling. He showed us he can use his speed/finesse to move around and popped Miller over the shoulder. It also exposed Miller's weakness last night and Marty was able to score on a similar move (more from the corner if I remember).

EDIT: Overall, good addition/upgrade from Tangs (if that's how you look at it) and fits in our system. We need his scoring instinct, but it's tough to say what he wants in terms of $$, if he'll decide to stay in Colorado, and if the Avs decide to spend money on him vs elsewhere....

ehh. I dunno about great. Hes been solid but I wouldnt say great. He seems to have some chemistry with Mackinnon but a part of me really wants to see what he can do with Duchene. We know that Mack and Grigs have chemistry so I wouldnt mind seeing Boedker and Duchene for a game or two to see what that looks like.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Boedker is what he is... a complimentary top 6 player that you'll always want a bit more out of. Boedker is a bit more consistent and healthier Hemsky. If the Avs have expendable room for him, he would be great to keep.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I'm still really hoping he signs with us for Beleskey type money - if we got him for around 4 a year I'd be stoked. He really hasn't proven much more than that is the thing.

ehh. I dunno about great. Hes been solid but I wouldnt say great. He seems to have some chemistry with Mackinnon but a part of me really wants to see what he can do with Duchene. We know that Mack and Grigs have chemistry so I wouldnt mind seeing Boedker and Duchene for a game or two to see what that looks like.

Yeah, Kingslayer, that's fair. I was thinking in the other thread, though, about how limited his 'sample' is, basically playing for Arizona (limited talent) his career and missing significant time in a couple seasons. Such is why I like the Soderberg example. Given his expectations and 'type' of player Soderberg is, we knew what we were getting, and he's having a career year here numbers wise (should break 48 pts) :yo:

Now, I know there are a lot of subtleties to each player's game that make them different, of course, but point totals/production I expect to be about the same. Soderberg earns 4.75, is 4.0-4.5 reasonable for Boedker? Seems like it's in HIS interest to test the market, but I'd pay 4.5-4.75 for him to keep a guy like that around. Or, I wonder if you think Soderberg is worth his 4.75? Because if not, we overpaid, who else are we going to acquire that puts up points in that range for less money? A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad