GDT: Game 71: Avs @ Canucks | Wednesday, March 16th, 8pm MT | Land Vs Sea

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Eriksson is a much better player than Boedker. He'll cost more to sign, as he should.

Is Boedker Newport or something? :sarcasm: :laugh:

Seems like 5.5 mil was about the high range of what he 'should' get, based on players we've been discussing, and him rejecting AZ's offer seems more and more foreboding to me. That or him/his agent thinks they're getting paid.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Would you move your stuff if the team that acquired you basically insinuated you were a rental for now and a lot would have to do with the results? Also it is a team that doesn't seem to be in a hurry to negotiate during a playoff chase with their star RFA players, much less a recently acquired UFA.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Eriksson is a better player, but older and a much higher injury risk. I'd rather pay Boedker $5m per over 5 years vs Eriksson $6m over 5 years. At least with Boedker you are getting ~3 of his prime years. Eriksson is starting on the downside of his career.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I felt Iggy had another good game. Strong along the boards, showed speed in short distances, actually broke out of our zone well, etc. He has adapted to Duchene's pace, it's good to see playoff Iggy in form.

Have to wonder how much the fact that he and Greg play at a similar pace really helps make that line work. Matt's now experienced enough to adjust his own game to fit alongside those two; and with Greg's methodical pace on the other wing, Matt isn't being tempted to fly away & leave Iggy in the dust...plus he's playing so well that he can drive that line when Iggy and Greg are off.

Iginla's certainly done a great job turning his form around; finding his legs again and getting comfortable with the puck on his stick...but I do have still concerns about what would happen if Greg was replaced on the left side of that line by someone speedy like Boedker, who would push Matt to play at more break-neck-speeds.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like how the TSN guys came in at the very end of Roy's media scrum as he's saying his customary "you guys are welcome" goodbye, and then ask him the same exact two questions he just answered. :laugh:

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Is Boedker Newport or something? :sarcasm: :laugh:

Seems like 5.5 mil was about the high range of what he 'should' get, based on players we've been discussing, and him rejecting AZ's offer seems more and more foreboding to me. That or him/his agent thinks they're getting paid.

I heard that it was not the money but staying in AZ, he probably feels great about staying here, would not you or I?

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Have to wonder how much the fact that he and Greg play at a similar pace really helps make that line work. Matt's now experienced enough to adjust his own game to fit alongside those two; and with Greg's methodical pace on the other wing, Matt isn't being tempted to fly away & leave Iggy in the dust...plus he's playing so well that he can drive that line when Iggy and Greg are off.

Iginla's certainly done a great job turning his form around; finding his legs again and getting comfortable with the puck on his stick...but I do have still concerns about what would happen if Greg was replaced on the left side of that line by someone speedy like Boedker, who would push Matt to play at more break-neck-speeds.

well, Gregs is a good two way player and we needthose in the worst way.. losing Staz and ROR left a huge team d hole... not against them leaving just he adds some much needed two way play.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Eriksson is a better player, but older and a much higher injury risk. I'd rather pay Boedker $5m per over 5 years vs Eriksson $6m over 5 years. At least with Boedker you are getting ~3 of his prime years. Eriksson is starting on the downside of his career.

Eriksson seems like the kind of player who will age very well and won't suffer a big drop off in his game until late 30's. If I'm choosing either Eriksson or Boedker, I want Eriksson

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Ya I agree.

I dont want anything to do with Loui if its over 4 years, or over 5.5M. Way to much risk with him on that kind of term and cap hit.

Boedker is fitting in very well with the team so far IMO. Maybe he's not great defensively, but he's also definitely not a liability either. He came from Arizona playing under Tippett the last number of years so he has some of those smart safer characteristics in his play that he got from that system.

I actually think he's above average defensively for a winger. He's in the right position the majority of the time, he doesn't puck watch much if at all, and off the rush he's very good picking pockets and going the other way with it(Not Oreilly good, but probably better then any other forward we have minus Soderberg IMO).

I think the only problem with Boedker is that he struggles a bit with his compete level perhaps. I dont think he gives it a 100% effort every single night. On the nights where he gives it 100% you can see it and he's usually the best player on the ice or at least one of the best players. On those nights he's every bit as good as Duchene, Mackinnon, Landy, whoever. But then you also have those nights where he's not at 100% and you can see. A little more floating in the defensive zone, not as much drive and determination and more perimeter play. On these nights he's still not necessarily a bad player or having a negative impact, but he leaves you wanting more because we know that he has more to give.

The Anaheim game for example was one of those games I thought. He didn't seem to be giving it his everything and you could kind of see it.

But I think Roy is one of the top motivational coaches in the league(Easily better then Tippett I would guess) and is someone who would get more of those 100% games out of Boedker then other coaches.

It also comes down to Boedker himself and how he feels about his time this year with the Avs. If he enjoys himself and wants to come back then that would be a lot better then coming back just for the money we offer as well.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I heard that it was not the money but staying in AZ, he probably feels great about staying here, would not you or I?

Yeah man, that's kinda where I was going with my previous posts as well :yo: despite the season/past couple years, Denver is still attractive for the teams potential. Maybe he'll make some friends, we'll make the playoffs, and he'll sign a reasonable contract.

Also Eriksson is 30 and so is Soderberg, so I don't really think he's 'too old'. He'll decline, but if we could get him for 5 years (EDIT: or less) just like Sodes, I'd be happy, but he's probably $6mil+.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I kind of have a tendency to liken the Avs to the Lightning, thinking about them drafting Stamkos and then having a few mediocre years before they're finally starting to be consistent contenders.

I'd like to see the Avs make the playoffs, at least make it 6-7 games in Rd 1, if not win a series before being knocked out... and use that momentum as an unofficial 'promise' to these guys that we CAN and will be successful once it clicks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad