GDT: Game 71: Avs @ Canucks | Wednesday, March 16th, 8pm MT | Land Vs Sea

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
People need to be a bit more realistic with the contract expectations here. If Arizona offered him 5+ mil to stay, it's hard to imagine him signing a contract for less than 5mil just because we're offering it.

He didn't move any of his stuff from Scottsdale after the trade, he's clearly playing with the intent of getting a bigger contract. With the Avs or elsewhere will depend on how we do during the stretch and how much the Avs offer him. If they lowball him, I expect him to test the waters.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Boedker will get paid at least 5 million. Whether it's by us or not is yet to be seen. If money is scarce around the league and he cant find a long term deal at at least 5mAAV you will see him sign in Toronto for 1 year at around 6m and test his luck long term next summer after he's traded at the deadline again.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
People need to be a bit more realistic with the contract expectations here. If Arizona offered him 5+ mil to stay, it's hard to imagine him signing a contract for less than 5mil just because we're offering it.

He didn't move any of his stuff from Scottsdale after the trade, he's clearly playing with the intent of getting a bigger contract. With the Avs or elsewhere will depend on how we do during the stretch and how much the Avs offer him. If they lowball him, I expect him to test the waters.

After another look, Beleskey money would be really good, though I think he gets a tiny bit more.

The question of what he will take, to me, is still wide open. I have no idea if he wants to play for Arizona, maybe he would have rejected just about anything from AZ.

The fact that he didn't move his stuff is huge for me, and I didn't realize that. It does not, however, indicate to me that he wants to be paid, but simply that he doesn't know where he's going to be next year and doesn't want to move a crap-load to Denver only to pack it up a couple months later....

Won't know until he signs a contract somewhere, I guess

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I'm still really hoping he signs with us for Beleskey type money - if we got him for around 4 a year I'd be stoked. He really hasn't proven much more than that is the thing.

Arizona offered to him 5.5x5. He didn't want to stay there, but I bet he will not accept some lowball offer from Avs.

Beleskey's career high was 33 points and it was his first time he hit over 25 points. This is Boedker's 3rd straight season where he is on pace for 50 points. It's pretty stupid to compare those two players.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Boedker will get paid at least 5 million. Whether it's by us or not is yet to be seen. If money is scarce around the league and he cant find a long term deal at at least 5mAAV you will see him sign in Toronto for 1 year at around 6m and test his luck long term next summer after he's traded at the deadline again.

He won't risk 15+ milion to cash it in for one year, or at least I wouldn't.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think the UFA market will be all that strong this summer. Boedker probably gets $5m, but I doubt he gets much (if any) more than that. If the Avs have $5m in room, I'd be completely fine with the Avs signing him to a 5 or 6 year deal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He won't risk 15+ milion to cash it in for one year, or at least I wouldn't.

He's not risking it. He's 26 years old and will get paid big money next year too. With the CAD so low, the cap hardly rising and uncertainty with expansion we may see players getting paid a lot less than usual this offseason and it will likely go back to normal next year.

Instead of taking a 4.5x5 year this deal he can probably take a 6x1 instead and then get a 5.5x5 next year. It's more money both short term and long term and the only risk he's taking on is injury really.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Arizona offered to him 5.5x5. He didn't want to stay there, but I bet he will not accept some lowball offer from Avs.

I wouldn't be surprised/more hoping that it goes something like:

"I'm excited to sign and extension with the Avalanche for 4.0-4.5/yr because I believe in this team, yada yada...."

That way the Avs don't lowball him, pay him closer to market value, and you spin it positively so that it's more about the potential of this team. AZ would still be upset, but that's the business.

OR yes, he signs 5+ this offseason, that team will be happy to have him, and they'll have paid an ok amount based on FAs out there.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
He's not risking it. He's 26 years old and will get paid big money next year too. With the CAD so low, the cap hardly rising and uncertainty with expansion we may see players getting paid a lot less than usual this offseason and it will likely go back to normal next year.

Instead of taking a 4.5x5 year this deal he can probably take a 6x1 instead and then get a 5.5x5 next year. It's more money both short term and long term and the only risk he's taking on is injury really.

He is risking injury, though, if he takes a 1 year deal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He is risking injury, though, if he takes a 1 year deal.

Yes he is, but unless he pretty much dies on the ice there isn't much risk. He's been one of the most durable players in the NHL over the last 5 years. Even if he had a major knee or back injury it still wouldn't take that much of a toll on him at 26.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yes he is, but unless he pretty much dies on the ice there isn't much risk. He's been one of the most durable players in the NHL over the last 5 years. Even if he had a major knee or back injury it still wouldn't take that much of a toll on him at 26.

Man I'm with Ivan though, take the longer contract and be more secure.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

And what if he gets on the wrong end of a cheap shot? Suffers a major injury? Plus he's on record saying he wants to play for a winner.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised/more hoping that it goes something like:

"I'm excited to sign and extension with the Avalanche for 4.0-4.5/yr because I believe in this team, yada yada...."

That way the Avs don't lowball him, pay him closer to market value, and you spin it positively so that it's more about the potential of this team. AZ would still be upset, but that's the business.

OR yes, he signs 5+ this offseason, that team will be happy to have him, and they'll have paid an ok amount based on FAs out there.

Well you can hope, but I don't expect to hear that he in fell love for Denver in couple months and would for that reason leave 5 or 6 million bucks on the table.

You might get him sign for little bit cheaper like 5.0-5.2, but don't expect him to sign for 4.0 or 4.5.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
And what if he gets on the wrong end of a cheap shot? Suffers a major injury? Plus he's on record saying he wants to play for a winner.

When do players ever suffer their first major injury at 26 and then that's pretty much it for their careers? A major injury isn't going to affect him much with his durability. Plus he will play for a winner. The sole purpose of the Leafs overpaying these guys on one year deals with NMC's is so that they can ship them off to contenders at the deadline.

If the market is so bad that Boedker has to take 4.5 or less long term you will see him take a short term deal instead. For him a 1 year overpaid contract would be better than a 2-3 year "fair" contract since it means his next long term contract will earn him a lot more at 27 than it would at 29/30.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Really hope we're not the team giving him $5M a year for 5-6 years. I just wouldn't pay that much for a complimentary winger.

Avs need a winger like him in the long run, we've already paid assets for him too. Without Boedker we're banking on Rantanen being NHL-ready next season and paying immediate dividends.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Grigorenko - Duchene - Boedker

I like the looks of that top 6, it has Rantanen on an ELC, Grigs on a cheaper deal until he breaks out and a solid early-mid 20's forward core. You're looking at a core top 6 which can actually compete for 5 years at least.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Well you can hope, but I don't expect to hear that he fell love for Denver in couple months and would for that reason leave 5 or 6 million bucks on the table.

Exactly, it's not realistic, especially learning he's left his stuff in AZ to wait and see...

I just want him to dislike AZ enough and love us... and someone mentioned he said he wants to play for a winner too, which is another factor. Does us making the playoffs change opinions? Maybe.

But I just don't think AZ's offer means it's all about money necessarily, because there's not a whole lot coming from the 'horse's mouth' to go on.

EDIT: I'd pay him 5. Still less than AZ, if he's willing to commit. Bird in hand...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Really hope we're not the team giving him $5M a year for 5-6 years. I just wouldn't pay that much for a complimentary winger.

If the Avs have the room, I don't see the issue. After this summer the core will be locked up for a while. The Avs could then afford a slight overpayment for a complimentary top 6 player.

This roster is about $71m:

Landy (5.571)-MacK (6.5)-Boedker (5.0)
Grigo (1.25)-Duchene(6.0)-Rantanen (.894)
Comeau (2.4)-Soda (4.75)-Iggy (5.33)
McLeod (1.33)-Mitchell (1.8)-Scrub (.750)
Scrub (.750)

Beauch (4.5)-EJ (6.0)
Bigras (.843)-Barrie (6.5)
Zadorov (.894)-Holden (1.65)
Gelinas (1.575)

Varly (5.9)
Pickard (1.0)

Now, I'd rather Boedker's salary went to Radulov, but if Rads isn't coming over... the Avs could do a lot worse than Boedker here on a $5m per deal.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
When do players ever suffer their first major injury at 26 and then that's pretty much it for their careers? A major injury isn't going to affect him much with his durability. Plus he will play for a winner. The sole purpose of the Leafs overpaying these guys on one year deals with NMC's is so that they can ship them off to contenders at the deadline.

If the market is so bad that Boedker has to take 4.5 or less long term you will see him take a short term deal instead. For him a 1 year overpaid contract would be better than a 2-3 year "fair" contract since it means his next long term contract will earn him a lot more at 27 than it would at 29/30.

If he gets injured he won't get a long term deal next offseason, he'll have to sign another prove yourself contract, to me refusing to sign 4.5x5 so that you would get 5x5.5 next offseason makes no sense whatsoever given all the risks you take.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Avs need a winger like him in the long run, we've already paid assets for him too. Without Boedker we're banking on Rantanen being NHL-ready next season and paying immediate dividends.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Grigorenko - Duchene - Boedker

I like the looks of that top 6, it has Rantanen on an ELC, Grigs on a cheaper deal until he breaks out and a solid early-mid 20's forward core. You're looking at a core top 6 which can actually compete for 5 years at least.
Just because the Avs need a player like him in the long run doesn't mean they should pay him 5M a year long term. I just think that's too much for a complimentary winger who has still yet to hit the 20 goal mark. And yes, I do believe Rantanen will pay immediate dividends next season. He's NHL ready right now, and I have no doubt he will be next year.

If the Avs have the room, I don't see the issue. After this summer the core will be locked up for a while. The Avs could then afford a slight overpayment for a complimentary top 6 player.

This roster is about $71m:

Landy (5.571)-MacK (6.5)-Boedker (5.0)
Grigo (1.25)-Duchene(6.0)-Rantanen (.894)
Comeau (2.4)-Soda (4.75)-Iggy (5.33)
McLeod (1.33)-Mitchell (1.8)-Scrub (.750)
Scrub (.750)

Beauch (4.5)-EJ (6.0)
Bigras (.843)-Barrie (6.5)
Zadorov (.894)-Holden (1.65)
Gelinas (1.575)

Varly (5.9)
Pickard (1.0)

Now, I'd rather Boedker's salary went to Radulov, but if Rads isn't coming over... the Avs could do a lot worse than Boedker here on a $5m per deal.
I'm not as convinced as everyone else that Stuart is just going to disappear.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not as convinced as everyone else that Stuart is just going to disappear.

If the cap ends up at $74m... he isn't even an issue. Worst case, the Avs have to do some footwork to dump Gelinas, Mitchell, and/or Holden and replace them with a cheaper player/s.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
An underrated part of Boedker's benefit to the team is even when he's a bit invisible in between nice goals, his speed and positional awareness engrained in him by Tippet, allow him to get out of the offensive zone and back to the neutral zone really quickly so he can clog passing lanes. This has been an absolutely massive upgrade on Tanguay, and it's helped cut down on the dangerous chances the Mack line has given up.

He's not a defensive dynamo out there, but he's solid positionally, and knows when to make the safe play, and when danger is about to happen. This helps the more pure skill guys like Duchene and Nate.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
What about some dude like Loui Eriksson?

An underrated part of Boedker's benefit to the team is even when he's a bit invisible in between nice goals, his speed and positional awareness engrained in him by Tippet, allow him to get out of the offensive zone and back to the neutral zone really quickly so he can clog passing lanes. This has been an absolutely massive upgrade on Tanguay, and it's helped cut down on the dangerous chances the Mack line has given up.

He's not a defensive dynamo out there, but he's solid positionally, and knows when to make the safe play, and when danger is about to happen. This helps the more pure skill guys like Duchene and Nate.

Seconded to both! Eriksson should make about that range... thanks Hench for the cap structure....but I think either would fit ~5mil. Eriksson to me has always been underrated and would bring a lot of those 'awareness' plays as well. He'll probably want closer to $6, does anyone know if he's said anything about playing in the east vs west?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad