2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The game has changed - having home ice in Game 7 is now a liability

This year the Bruins lost 3 of 4 games in the SCF at home - I have my theories why but it is what it is. I just know the Bruins seem more focused on the road than at home and of course, the one game that they had a chance to win the Cup in 2011 was on the road.

I am looking at the tape for the first time in 7 weeks and I now think this was worse than 'Too Many Men" :cry:

I'm curious what your theories are for their lackluster showing at home. I've heard rumors the players are too complacent at home around their families? They didn't have Seguin's alleged partying to use as a scapegoat this year.

I know no team has feared playing in Boston for years now. I listened to a Canadian talk show earlier in the week discussing whether there is a place in today's NHL for Milan Lucic. Maybe there isn't, but I imagine he caused many sleepless nights before games for opposing players.

I still get chills from the Boston crowds in 2011, and I felt numerous times the crowds this year were desperately wanting to reach that level. But the team just couldn't give them a reason.

I concur that this was worse than "Too Many Men." Lots of reasons including there was still another series after the Habs. This was a home game for the Cup and to solidify this core's legacy.

And it was a complete letdown.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I was over it when I woke up the next morning. Maybe its because I've seen Boston teams in so many championship games or maybe because I feel like this team could make it back next year, idk. Either way I was over this one pretty quick.

I am curious to see home many cups over the last 10-15 years were won on the road.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
rask was great all playoffs but **** the bed in the first period of the biggest game.
Wouldn’t go that far,Binnington was definitely the better goalie for game seven,but I can’t find it in me even slightly to blame Rask,the Bruins wouldn’t have gotten anywhere near as far as they did without Rask,I put the blame totally on the top lines inability to produce 5-5.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The top forwards didn’t play like top forwards 5 on 5 for the entirety of the series and a good chunk of the playoffs

I’m completely over game 7 and have moved on. Last year was a great season but the blues deserved it. That’s all there is to it imo. I’ve seen a billion parades, it makes the sting of the loss pretty much zero at this point. Hopefully they add to the parade total next year, if they don’t it’s whatever

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
The top forwards didn’t play like top forwards 5 on 5 for the entirety of the series and a good chunk of the playoffs

I’m completely over game 7 and have moved on. Last year was a great season but the blues deserved it. That’s all there is to it imo. I’ve seen a billion parades, it makes the sting of the loss pretty much zero at this point. Hopefully they add to the parade total next year, if they don’t it’s whatever
I’m over it. Even though we should have had a parade on that Saturday morning. I’m all done with the blame game. This is a very good team, doesn’t matter if this player is old that player is old , Rask , this and that. Blah Blah Blah .

They can’t be all that bad when the Las Vegas odd makers have them at 10o.5 - 101 point total. That’s a lot of points lol lol. Now am I being greedy if I want a second line forward. Lol
The answer.... no!

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm getting less and less confident that we will improve the team from where it was this past Spring. Our top 2 centers might go from late prime to old overnight and rebuild talk could have some credence. That wasn't a good team we lost to. Shame the coaching staff didn't have it in them to shake it up even strength but we did blow St Louis doors off when they had a chance to eliminate us and played a great first 15 minutes of G7. We were close.

Reactions: Strafer and GoBs

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was over it when I woke up the next morning. Maybe its because I've seen Boston teams in so many championship games or maybe because I feel like this team could make it back next year, idk. Either way I was over this one pretty quick.

I am curious to see home many cups over the last 10-15 years were won on the road.

2008 Detroit - ROAD
2009 Pittsburgh - ROAD
2010 Chicago - ROAD
2011 Boston - ROAD
2012 LA - HOME
2013 Chicago - ROAD
2014 LA - HOME
2015 Chicago - HOME
2016 - Pittsburgh - ROAD
2017 - Pittsburgh - ROAD
2018 - Washington - ROAD
2019 - St. Louis - ROAD

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
2008 Detroit - ROAD
2009 Pittsburgh - ROAD
2010 Chicago - ROAD
2011 Boston - ROAD
2012 LA - HOME
2013 Chicago - ROAD
2014 LA - HOME
2015 Chicago - HOME
2016 - Pittsburgh - ROAD
2017 - Pittsburgh - ROAD
2018 - Washington - ROAD
2019 - St. Louis - ROAD

Bruins need a RW who has a great record on the road.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I thought I was over it but then I had a dream we won and I realized how much it still stings

For me that was it. That was this cores shot. Hopefully I'm wrong but I dont see them getting that close again for a while. Poor Z.

We win the series in 6 if Z doesn’t play game 5 injured.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
All they have to do is win the Stanley Cup next year and we’ll probably forget all about this. After all, 2011 did wonders in helping me get over the 2010 Flyers series.

Here’s an example from the baseball world: does ANYONE in Red Sox Nation really still talk about Aaron Boone?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
2008 Detroit - ROAD
2009 Pittsburgh - ROAD
2010 Chicago - ROAD
2011 Boston - ROAD
2012 LA - HOME
2013 Chicago - ROAD
2014 LA - HOME
2015 Chicago - HOME
2016 - Pittsburgh - ROAD
2017 - Pittsburgh - ROAD
2018 - Washington - ROAD
2019 - St. Louis - ROAD

Wow 75% over the last 12 years have been on the road. That's just a crazy number. Even crazier is LA has 2 of the 3 home wins.

Reactions: Estlin

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No pressure, zero ****s to give, people taunting you giving you more inspiration in winning the ONE game, I can see that.

2013 Chicago ties the game up late and then went to for the kill. They did not want a Game 7 against us even in Chicago. I will always wonder why Claude did not call a time out after the game was tied to focus the guys.

2019 - The second St Louis goal sucked the life out of the Garden - you looked at the shots board (12-4 Boston and yet we were losing 0-2)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I try not to criticize physical mistakes.

Mental mistakes though, can’t be criticized enough. Especially from elite level athletes.

He can shed all the tears he needs to but i don’t see any reason for me to let him slide yet.

Yeah, I felt that he was crying more for himself and his (feelings of) shame then for anything else. That was on him and
he gets to see it and think about it until his last day. He continually does boneheaded **** and we forgive him and
honestly, at some point this upcoming season we'll forgive him too but he'll eat this for the rest of his life. It's too bad
but it seems that mental lapses and stupidity are his demons and unfortunately he's got to be on guard 24/7 because those
demons are his companions for life.

Last edited:

member 96824

2013 Chicago ties the game up late and then went to for the kill. They did not want a Game 7 against us even in Chicago. I will always wonder why Claude did not call a time out after the game was tied to focus the guys.

2019 - The second St Louis goal sucked the life out of the Garden - you looked at the shots board (12-4 Boston and yet we were losing 0-2)

Yup. After that, looked at the blocked shots too. STL could just pack it in and not worry about generating rushes out of the zone. B’s continued to dominate possession through the 2nd but every shot they took had to find its way through 4-5 blue jerseys before it was touching Binnington. Blues blocked 3x the shot attempts the Bruins did

That game was decided when Marchand left the ice. I think the B’s win if they go into the locker room down 1-0 with the way they played that first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad