2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
STILL not over game 7

I was actually going to get season tickets this year - regardless of what happened in the playoffs, until that performance in Game 7 just sucked all my enthusiasm for that from me.

Looking forward to this season for sure, but I just can’t commit that amount financially after what I saw last month against St. Louis. I just can’t believe they crapped out like that. Investing in Blue Chip stocks and going to a Patriots game seems like better use of my funds to me.

I wanted that win so badly...

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I was actually going to get season tickets this year - regardless of what happened in the playoffs, until that performance in Game 7 just sucked all my enthusiasm for that from me.

Looking forward to this season for sure, but I just can’t commit that amount financially after what I saw last month against St. Louis. I just can’t believe they crapped out like that. Investing in Blue Chip stocks and going to a Patriots game seems like better use of my funds to me.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on some rather expensive tickets for Game 7 last month, for my father and I. He is 80 and still doing great, thank God, and he was the one that got me hooked on hockey and the Bruins as a child. We would've needed plane tickets as well, but could've stayed with relatives, all of whom still live in the Boston area.

Tickets never reached my self-imposed acceptable price, so we watched it at home.

With 7 seconds left in the first period, I was livid (thanks Marchand!), but not as much had I dropped thousands of dollars and completely rescheduled my mid-week work schedule to witness the debacle in person.

In the Around the NHL thread, I expressed that I'm not resentful of the Blues; but the Bruins? I'm sure I'll get over it, but I still can't believe how badly they 'crapped out' as you so eloquently put it.

I've got my stash for the B's annual visit to Texas, but since it's the season opener this year, I'll take your sound advice and put it into blue chip stock, instead. ;)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I can't put into words how badly I wanted the Cup this year.

I'm getting older and who knows if I will see another Cup run :cry:

I was livid when St Louis went up 2-0 because that goal changed everything as now the fans in the building were scared and I'm sure the team felt it.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

I was livid when St Louis went up 2-0 because that goal changed everything as now the fans in the building were scared and I'm sure the team felt it.
I know some will disagree, but I'm just being honest - Marchand's line change has surpassed the too many men against the Habs in Bruins infamy, in my book.

Especially considering the national stage, what was at stake, on home ice, etc. Boston could have held 3 major sports titles simultaneously.

I notice numerous avatars of Marchand in tears at the main board. He really gave his haters a gift that night, in more ways than one.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I know some will disagree, but I'm just being honest - Marchand's line change has surpassed the too many men against the Habs in Bruins infamy, in my book.

Especially considering the national stage, what was at stake, on home ice, etc. Boston could have held 3 major sports titles simultaneously.

I notice numerous avatars of Marchand in tears at the main board. He really gave his haters a gift that night, in more ways than one.

I'm surprised at how little has been said about that over the summer. It was a game changer for sure.

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I feel worse for you and people like you than myself.

You’ve sunk your heart and soul into the Bruins your entire life. To get so close and come up short in the manner they did is maddening enough for me - I can’t imagine how you must feel.

You may be getting older, but you’ve seen three Cup wins to my one, and you got to see Bobby Orr. I’m a little jealous.

I’m one who disagrees. That was Montreal, and the Bruins all but had that game wrapped up. The Bruins were never competitive in Game 7 against St. Louis.

I'm surprised at how little has been said about that over the summer.

Me too. Unfortunately, I can’t quite look at him the same. He’s too good to make a mistake like that at this level. Honestly, I can’t think of a bigger mistake he’s ever made.

I think we’re all still sad and the anger hasn’t set in yet.

:(

Last edited:

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
The only time I would ever criticise a player is if they showed a blatant lack of respect or caring for the team and/or organisation they represent. The effort from Marchand on that play can obviously be questioned but seeing his genuine heartbreak after the game I truly believe it was an honest **** up and not a case of not caring enough. That will live with Brad for the rest of his life and that's more than enough of a sentence for a sports player to endure without being ridiculed by his own fans on top.

In the two short years I've followed the Bruins I've seen the good and bad side of Marchand but one thing has been abundantly clear, he loves the Bruins and he loves his teammates. That's enough for me.

I hope he comes back next season and absolutely crushes it.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The only time I would ever criticise a player is if they showed a blatant lack of respect or caring for the team and/or organisation they represent. The effort from Marchand on that play can obviously be questioned but seeing his genuine heartbreak after the game I truly believe it was an honest **** up and not a case of not caring enough. That will live with Brad for the rest of his life and that's more than enough of a sentence for a sports player to endure without being ridiculed by his own fans on top.

In the two short years I've followed the Bruins I've seen the good and bad side of Marchand but one thing has been abundantly clear, he loves the Bruins and he loves his teammates. That's enough for me.

I hope he comes back next season and absolutely crushes it.

I try not to criticize physical mistakes.

Mental mistakes though, can’t be criticized enough. Especially from elite level athletes.

He can shed all the tears he needs to but i don’t see any reason for me to let him slide yet.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah, but are those egregious mistakes attributable to injury?
Right.

He and especially Pasta got way too much rope because they were injured.

Pasta kept falling down at the blue line and giving the opposing penalty killers breakaways for both the Toronto and Columbus series. His injury was a broken thumb. No excuse.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Feel the exact same way. Still don’t talk about it.

Reactions: Strafer and Zillah

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I’m not there with you - thought the whole season was found money. Through all the injuries and holes in the roster they ended up right there with the best of the league in the regular season, wound up right there at the end of the finals, played their tales off and lost on a coin flip game.

Also hard not to like the Blues epic turnaround season and first ever Cup win. If it had been just about any other team it might sting more.

A whole lot to look forward too IMO.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
For me the series was lost in game 5 because of blatant non-calls, especially the sluefoot that lead directly to the second goal for St. Louis. Rather than the Bruins being on a 5 minute power play they were suddenly down two goals and no power play. The officiating that game sucked reminiscent of games in Montreal of playoffs past.
The second goal in game 7 the way I saw it Marchand was caught in no man's land. Just prior to or as that play was developing he was being called to the bench, once it was behind him he went to the bench. If he stays on the ice and they score he get crucified for not leaving the ice. The fact they scored as he left the ice was unfortunate. 8 seconds left perfectly placed shot; could play another thousand games and that situation doesn't happen. The fact that it was game seven it was magnified.
I still believe that 'if' the Bruins had scored first the outcome would have been different.
But I'm still frustrated about the very poor officiating of game five more so than game 7.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I'm proud of what this team accomplished. Losing game 7 like that absolutely blows chunks, but it is what it is. I'm pumped for this upcoming season and to see how this team plays.

I don't view Marchand any differently. He's still our best offensive player who had a brain camp. It happens, no one's perfect and we'll move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad