2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

member 96824

I didn't have a good vibe about Game 7 - I wasn't thinking tonight we WILL win the Cup but only tonight we COULD win the Cup.

Then there was the fiasco of the banner captain. There was a strong rumor that it would be David Ortiz via video from MGH but it didn't happen and now we know he was wounded far more seriously than we thought since he is still in MGH. :cry:

Aly Raisman????

Why not Bucyk???

BUCJ102026.jpg

It hurts more than I was willing to admit.

Definitely felt like they were scrambling at 5PM on that one

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I'm proud of what this team accomplished. Losing game 7 like that absolutely blows chunks, but it is what it is. I'm pumped for this upcoming season and to see how this team plays.

I don't view Marchand any differently. He's still our best offensive player who had a brain camp. It happens, no one's perfect and we'll move on.

He chose a helluva time to have his brain cramp. When St. Louis scored that second goal, my heart sank and I turned to my girlfriend and told her, "Game over. St. Louis is going to win the Cup". I hope that those tears that he shed at the end were remorse for his screw-up.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
My anger lies primarily with Game 7, and more specifically Brad Marchand. Sure we can refer to other games, but that's why it's a series.

Show up when it matters most, and no one remembers anything else. The Bruins don't win in 2011 without Tim Thomas' godlike performance, so his OT gaffe in Game 2 against Vancouver is inconsequential.

And do you think anyone in St. Louis is still upset over the hand-pass OT goal awarded to San Jose that could've cost them the Conference Final?

The B's dominated the bulk of the first period. And while it wasn't ideal being down 1-0 on a somewhat fluky goal, as the period was winding down, I wasn't too concerned, nor were most in the GDT.

But in the blink of an eye, on a play that midget coaches would bag skate their players over, it's 2-0. The mood in the building instantly shifted to doom, both on the ice and off.

People on the main board mock so-called intangibles, but I never felt this B's squad had them. They had opportunities to seize control of the series, but consecutive strong performances for them was out of the question.

Rask, who I've always defended, played a game on June 12 like it was a game on November 12. Brian Boucher said after Game 6 even with a loss, Rask should win the Conn Smythe. He wasn't that bad in Game 7, but it's perplexing he couldn't seize the opportunity, forever cement his legacy, and silence his critics once and for all. But as it is, his legacy is the Flyers series in 2010, 17 seconds in 2013, and a Game 7 no-show in 2019.

And how do they go 1-3 at home in the Finals?

With league-wide parity, I don't believe they overachieved and everything after say rounds one or two was a bonus. The B's were the first recent Cup runner up to return to the Finals, and it took them 6 years to get there. The Rangers, Lightning, Sharks, Predators, all seemed to have so much hope; but none have made it back to the dance.

So it was a major wasted (not missed) opportunity.

I do think it will slightly tarnish the legacy of this core if they only manage one Cup; and without Tim Thomas, we may be talking about the Buffalo Bills of hockey.

OK, rant over. ;)

Agree with your entire post. Rask wasn't as good in game 7 as he had been in the rest of playoffs and Marchand's huge mistake in the first period is unforgivable. I also have some concerns about the leadership on the team.

What's most upsetting about the loss is that this, in my opinion, was the last kick at the can for this core. A major wasted opportunity, indeed.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Agree with your entire post. Rask wasn't as good in game 7 as he had been in the rest of playoffs and Marchand's huge mistake in the first period is unforgivable. I also have some concerns about the leadership on the team.

What's most upsetting about the loss is that this, in my opinion, was the last kick at the can for this core. A major wasted opportunity, indeed.

What's your concern about leadership?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
That is as true as when Vancouver fans say it. I’d rather take the lump on this one that make the Canucks fans complaints valid.

They're right, some of what the Bruins did was against the rules and they got away with it. It was no where near as egregious as what the Blues did but still, Marchand speed bagging Sedin is a clear violation of the rules there should have been at the very least a roughing penalty there or a unsportsmanlike. That's not hockey, totally uncalled for, funny as s^&* if your a Bruins fan , but still uncalled for.

You know what else is not hockey? To deliberately hit opponents in the head trying to knock them out of the game and succeeding twice. All it cost them was a 2 minute minor and the 1 game suspension of 2 dime a dozen players.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
What's your concern about leadership?

I feel that, over the past decade, say, the Bruins have underachieved a little. The team really should have more than one Stanley Cup to its name. Over those years in the playoffs, for example, the team has come out flat on several crucial occasions and blown a 3-0 series lead. In the two seasons in a row in which the Bruins did not make the playoffs, it felt as if the team had given up or, worse, was indifferent. They didn't appear to want to fight to make it into the post-season. All this, I think, speaks to questions about leadership.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I feel that, over the past decade, say, the Bruins have underachieved a little. The team really should have more than one Stanley Cup to its name. Over those years in the playoffs, for example, the team has come out flat on several crucial occasions and blown a 3-0 series lead. In the two seasons in a row in which the Bruins did not make the playoffs, it felt as if the team had given up or, worse, was indifferent. They didn't appear to want to fight to make it into the post-season. All this, I think, speaks to questions about leadership.

This Bruins team is the mid 80s Mets. Underachievers when it’s all said and done. Making three cups has been great and I have enjoyed this decade of hockey like never before but they had a chance to be remembered as an all time great core like the 70 and 72 Bruins....(it can be argued that group underachieved a bit as well)

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
There really are too many excuses here for the lack of cups won the past ten years. Way too many ifs and buts
I used to follow the Mets a lot more closely. Still follow the Steelers and Bruins. Gave up on the Pacers years ago.

I have quite the talent of picking bridesmaids. But I guess it’s still a better run than most team fans have

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm not as upset about the gaffs that resulted in goals, or the brutal officiating.. more just disappointed such a tightly knit group, professional, experienced, skilled, deep.. couldn't come together to win one game. Ultimately, to me it was the missed offensive chances early. They didn't score on the only PP.. Marchand shot the puck into Binnington's armpit instead of the top corner, Krejci and Johansson both missed on brilliant opportunities.. even Nordstrom's 3rd period chance could have swayed the momentum.

You have to score to win a game.. Bruins couldn't get one despite the chances.

Credit to Binnington for the saves, but I don't think he's really that great. He came up real big on the biggest stage.

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
Here in Toronto (Oshawa for me), the Raptors winning the NBA title the very next night helped me deal with all the band wagon Leaf fans - who suddenly became Raptor fans and I haven't heard a peep from any of them.

Personally, yes it sucks. But I cling to the hope that DKH has given all of us here... we are winning in 2020. It was never meant to be.
Thanks Dan

Enjoy it St. Louis

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

So do you think there’s a solution to this problem?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I'd say there is a stronger case for them overachieving over the past decade.

Not sure that leadership is a factor one way or the other.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If you go back 10 years the Bruins should have won 2 Cups....but

2009 - lose Game 7 at home to Carolina - second round - doubtful they would have beaten Pittsburgh in ECF
2010 - lose Game 7 at home to Philly - second round after leading series 3-0. Could they have beaten Chicago? doubtful
2011 - Win Stanley Cup
2012 - We are introduced to Braden Holtby and lose Game 7 at home in Round 1. They lost 3 of 4 at home - Still, if they had advanced a Cup was possible.
2013 - 17 seconds.
2014 - Poutineville - Lose Game 7 at home in second round - if they had won that game they would have most likely won the Cup
2015-2016 - both seasons finished 9th in the conference
2017 - Claude gets fired - lost all home games to Ottawa who won series 4-2
2018 - Lose in the second round to Tampa
2019 - ARGGGGGGGHHHHHH

The one constant is the team with the exception of 2011 is soft at home

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
If you go back 10 years the Bruins should have won 2 Cups....but

2009 - lose Game 7 at home to Carolina - second round - doubtful they would have beaten Pittsburgh in ECF
2010 - lose Game 7 at home to Philly - second round after leading series 3-0. Could they have beaten Chicago? doubtful
2011 - Win Stanley Cup
2012 - We are introduced to Braden Holtby and lose Game 7 at home in Round 1. They lost 3 of 4 at home - Still, if they had advanced a Cup was possible.
2013 - 17 seconds.
2014 - Poutineville - Lose Game 7 at home in second round - if they had won that game they would have most likely won the Cup
2015-2016 - both seasons finished 9th in the conference
2017 - Claude gets fired - lost all home games to Ottawa who won series 4-2
2018 - Lose in the second round to Tampa
2019 - ARGGGGGGGHHHHHH

The one constant is the team with the exception of 2011 is soft at home
The Hawks were loaded in 2010, but still young.

The Flyers' goaltending in that series may be the worst ever in a Final. (Luongo was excellent in 3 of the 4 games in Vancouver.)

So the Bruins could've lit up Niemi.

Repeating is very difficult and the even if they got past the Caps in 2012, the Kings were firing on all cylinders.

I do think the 2014 squad could've handled the Kings had they not underachieved/choked against the Habs.

2019 the path to the Cup was cleared for them, which they took advantage of. But Game 7 at home was an unmitigated disaster, hence this thread. ;)

There's still time but only one Cup for this squad will be a bit of a disappointment.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Hawks were loaded in 2010, but still young.

The Flyers' goaltending in that series may be the worst ever in a Final. (Luongo was excellent in 3 of the 4 games in Vancouver.)

So the Bruins could've lit up Niemi.

Repeating is very difficult and the even if they got past the Caps in 2012, the Kings were firing on all cylinders.

I do think the 2014 squad could've handled the Kings had they not underachieved/choked against the Habs.

2019 the path to the Cup was cleared for them, which they took advantage of. But Game 7 at home was an unmitigated disaster, hence this thread. ;)

There's still time but only one Cup for this squad will be a bit of a disappointment.

The game has changed - having home ice in Game 7 is now a liability

This year the Bruins lost 3 of 4 games in the SCF at home - I have my theories why but it is what it is. I just know the Bruins seem more focused on the road than at home and of course, the one game that they had a chance to win the Cup in 2011 was on the road.

I am looking at the tape for the first time in 7 weeks and I now think this was worse than 'Too Many Men" :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad