2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
For me the series was lost in game 5 because of blatant non-calls, especially the sluefoot that lead directly to the second goal for St. Louis. Rather than the Bruins being on a 5 minute power play they were suddenly down two goals and no power play. The officiating that game sucked reminiscent of games in Montreal of playoffs past.
The second goal in game 7 the way I saw it Marchand was caught in no man's land. Just prior to or as that play was developing he was being called to the bench, once it was behind him he went to the bench. If he stays on the ice and they score he get crucified for not leaving the ice. The fact they scored as he left the ice was unfortunate. 8 seconds left perfectly placed shot; could play another thousand games and that situation doesn't happen. The fact that it was game seven it was magnified.
I still believe that 'if' the Bruins had scored first the outcome would have been different.
But I'm still frustrated about the very poor officiating of game five more so than game 7.

Don't let the vulgarity of game 5 mask the utter incompetence of game 2 either. That elbow was egregious and suspension worthy. Worthless ref gave him 2 instead of 5 and a game. Justice lies in the ot assist.

Well done NHL

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Don't let the vulgarity of game 5 mask the utter incompetence of game 2 either. That elbow was egregious and suspension worthy. Worthless ref gave him 2 instead of 5 and a game. Justice lies in the ot assist.

Well done NHL

Alright to be completely honest, STL outplayed us throughout that game and I'm surprised it wasn't over before OT.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Meh. I feel like I've gotten over it at this point. I get annoyed watching people talk about the Blues repeating (yeah, no. They're not going to heat up like that again) but otherwise i'm good.

I keep telling myself the season could've ended on a worse note; imagine getting beaten by Toronto, for example. I'll take a cup loss to the Blues in a game 7 any day of the week over that.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I think someday I will be able to look back at the playoff run and watching the B's making it to the final again and feel good about the season and how far they made it and think about the progress the team showed from the year before...but that day hasn't come yet...

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Tough one for sure, I was planning to have my 60th birthday party theme " Bruins win the Stanley Cup " on July 14th. Now my wife still pulled off a wonderful party for me, but I was sure they would win Game 7. But I still love them & the Celtics !!

Reactions: Fenway

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I am still broken-hearted. Not so much for me but for my 80 year old Dad and two Uncles in their 70’s . I was going to have a huge barbecue celebration during the Stanley Cup Parade .

Reactions: Strafer

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Yup...

Wasted opportunity. Rask was so good against Toronto even in elimination games and had that godly 3rd round once again only for the team to lose in game 7 of the finals. Bergeron was clearly dealing with something too. Oof.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
xUySTZLMmJWBlk0Vy0.gif

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
My anger lies primarily with Game 7, and more specifically Brad Marchand. Sure we can refer to other games, but that's why it's a series.

Show up when it matters most, and no one remembers anything else. The Bruins don't win in 2011 without Tim Thomas' godlike performance, so his OT gaffe in Game 2 against Vancouver is inconsequential.

And do you think anyone in St. Louis is still upset over the hand-pass OT goal awarded to San Jose that could've cost them the Conference Final?

The B's dominated the bulk of the first period. And while it wasn't ideal being down 1-0 on a somewhat fluky goal, as the period was winding down, I wasn't too concerned, nor were most in the GDT.

But in the blink of an eye, on a play that midget coaches would bag skate their players over, it's 2-0. The mood in the building instantly shifted to doom, both on the ice and off.

People on the main board mock so-called intangibles, but I never felt this B's squad had them. They had opportunities to seize control of the series, but consecutive strong performances for them was out of the question.

Rask, who I've always defended, played a game on June 12 like it was a game on November 12. Brian Boucher said after Game 6 even with a loss, Rask should win the Conn Smythe. He wasn't that bad in Game 7, but it's perplexing he couldn't seize the opportunity, forever cement his legacy, and silence his critics once and for all. But as it is, his legacy is the Flyers series in 2010, 17 seconds in 2013, and a Game 7 no-show in 2019.

And how do they go 1-3 at home in the Finals?

With league-wide parity, I don't believe they overachieved and everything after say rounds one or two was a bonus. The B's were the first recent Cup runner up to return to the Finals, and it took them 6 years to get there. The Rangers, Lightning, Sharks, Predators, all seemed to have so much hope; but none have made it back to the dance.

So it was a major wasted (not missed) opportunity.

I do think it will slightly tarnish the legacy of this core if they only manage one Cup; and without Tim Thomas, we may be talking about the Buffalo Bills of hockey.

OK, rant over. ;)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I didn't have a good vibe about Game 7 - I wasn't thinking tonight we WILL win the Cup but only tonight we COULD win the Cup.

Then there was the fiasco of the banner captain. There was a strong rumor that it would be David Ortiz via video from MGH but it didn't happen and now we know he was wounded far more seriously than we thought since he is still in MGH. :cry:

Aly Raisman????

Why not Bucyk???

BUCJ102026.jpg

It hurts more than I was willing to admit.

Last edited:

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I didn't have a good vibe about Game 7 - I wasn't thinking tonight we WILL win the Cup but only tonight we COULD win the Cup.

Then there was the fiasco of the banner captain. There was a strong rumor that it would be David Ortiz via video from MGH but it didn't happen and now we know he was wounded far more seriously than we thought since he is still in MGH. :cry:

Aly Raisman????

Why not Bucyk???

BUCJ102026.jpg

It hurts more than I was willing to admit.

Thought it was odd that Neely never did it either. It definitely set the tone right off the bat

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I feel worse for you and people like you than myself.

You’ve sunk your heart and soul into the Bruins your entire life. To get so close and come up short in the manner they did is maddening enough for me - I can’t imagine how you must feel.

You may be getting older, but you’ve seen three Cup wins to my one, and you got to see Bobby Orr. I’m a little jealous.

I’m one who disagrees. That was Montreal, and the Bruins all but had that game wrapped up. The Bruins were never competitive in Game 7 against St. Louis.

Me too. Unfortunately, I can’t quite look at him the same. He’s too good to make a mistake like that at this level. Honestly, I can’t think of a bigger mistake he’s ever made.

I think we’re all still sad and the anger hasn’t set in yet.

:(

I can't understand how people like Fenway feel.
I know B's are something like 3-7 in Cup Finals
from 1970 on, however getting there 10 times
in 50 tries is pretty damn good. Add in Montreal,
and Edmonton were dynasties and I can't complain
about being a fan.

Reactions: Krupp

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think someday I will be able to look back at the playoff run and watching the B's making it to the final again and feel good about the season and how far they made it and think about the progress the team showed from the year before...but that day hasn't come yet...

I watch highlights of PO wins 3-4 times a week.
Hell I watch the highlights of both San Jose games
which were awesome wins.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Bergeron was Jagr and Seguin like at 5 on 5 and is getting a free pass.

He wasn't great 5/5 but he produced 9 goals in 24 games. Seguin/Jagr COMBINED produced ONE goal and none
in the SCF. That is mind numbingly bad.
Marchand, Seguin and Jagr never scored a goal
in a 6 game Cup Final.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad