2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I find it to be an amusing mix of misguided anger and pettiness to the point where it makes me 100% sure that many of the folks posting these lamentations have to be under the age of 14 and have never actually lived through a true life altering moment on a personal level.

It's a game. They lost. Get over it. :laugh:

Well it's pretty simple isn't it? If you don't like a thread then don't read it, and certainly don't post in it.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Sorry, I thought this board was to discuss things with folks who had differing opinions creating a back and forth rather than celebrating a single minded view by everyone, but I stand corrected...:laugh:

So on the one hand you want people to be able to have free 'back and forth' discussion, but on the other on this particular topic you want people to just 'get over it' and move on.

Wow, that's some pretty impressive cognitive dissonance right there.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
So on the one hand you want people to be able to have free 'back and forth' discussion, but on the other on this particular topic you want people to just 'get over it' and move on.

Wow, that's some pretty impressive cognitive dissonance right there.
And on the other hand you aren’t even discussing his premise but just that he made it.

You know? Discussion

Or are you one of the 14 year olds he is referring to?:laugh:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
And on the other hand you aren’t even discussing his premise but just that he made it.

You know? Discussion

Or are you one of the 14 year olds he is referring to?:laugh:

How exactly does it contribute to the discussion to come into a thread, criticise its contents, tell people to get over it and move on, and then insult them? How is that of any value to anybody?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
How exactly does it contribute to the discussion to come into a thread, criticise its contents, tell people to get over it and move on, and then insult them? How is that of any value to anybody?
Because it is time to move on. And to follow your own advice ignore his post like you suggested to ignore the thread.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Sports psychology is a funny beast. I'm sure the Bruins players really really wanted the Cup, and had probably convinced themselves that they couldn't want it any more and couldn't do anything more to get it. But somehow, I think the Blues did want it that little bit more and were willing to do things to get it, right or wrong, that the Bs weren't. They were just that tiny bit more desperate, and it mattered. Why exactly that was I don't know. I thought Rask's comment that they thought they had the Cup won after game 6 and couldn't lose at home again was telling, probably true for most of the squad, and really dangerous. I get that a team wants to be confident and believe that they'll win, especially at home, but there's nothing more destructive in sport than getting ahead of yourself.

Otherwise Rask is Rask. He leaves himself open to criticism with his relaxed demeanour and roll with the punches attitude when things go badly, and I totally understand that, especially with his poor elimination games record, but he was completely dialled in and brilliant for most of the playoffs, so I can't say he didn't give it his all. And he's not going to change. Krug's situation was really unusual so it's hard to say how he would have taken it in other circumstances.

The way sports are played and the attitudes of players have changed. I think there's a few reasons for that. Masculinity has changed - most men no longer have hyper aggression, competitiveness, stoicism and ruggedness, for lack of a better word, drilled into them. Having to 'hate' your opponent as a mortal enemy is now frowned upon in most sporting realms. The professionalisation of sport has contributed to the 'it's a job' mentality I outlined in my previous post - next game/season, the career carries on and all that. The sheer amount of money in sport has had an impact too - mostly for the worst I would say. Losing a game, even a final, feels not quite so bad when you've got your big house and car and millions of dollars to fall back on. With greater connectivity, social media and player movements, there's also more familiarity and contact between players on different teams, so it's harder to demonise the opposition.

I think on the whole it's a mixed bag - some things were better in the older, simpler days, but some things have certainly changed for the better.

What I hope right now is that however exactly the Bs have dealt with their loss, they put it to good use in how they approach the imminent season. In the end that's all that matters going forwards. Unfortunately, what's done is done.
The sports psychology aspect is one area I believe really cost the Bruins.

I know the Blues responded to losses very well, especially Binnington; but it seemed the B's had a tough time playing consecutive strong games. And that was more mental than physical. We all know how defeated the whole team was after Marchand's blunder led to the second goal, despite there still being 40 minutes to play.

I recall Patrice Bergeron's interview after the second period of Game 7 in Vancouver. Despite the B's having a comfortable lead, when asked to assess the team's play, the first words out of his mouth were "It's not good enough." There was a focus and fire in his eyes that I didn't see in the team in this year's Game 7.

I get it - the guys all have families now and are fabulously wealthy. Their mindset is different.

And I agree wholeheartedly masculinity has changed; and of course many of the changes are for the better. But am I totally on board with the 'kinder, gentler' game?

Frankly, no.

I know many thought they were cute, but I loathed the Carolina Hurricane's post-game celebrations and couldn't even fathom what would've happened had they done that in previous eras.

It's like rock and roll; I liked it a lot better when the bands were trying to get laid and doing drugs, and not trying to save the world.;)

I do wish the B's had at least some push-back to the Blues' old-school masculine toughness, and not just the borderline/cheap shots. Maroon skating by the B's bench saying "You guys are ******," in Boston no less, Bortuzzo going after Acciari after a face-off in the dying seconds of Game Six, Schenn trying to blow up Bergeron, etc.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

You’re probably going to fight a losing battle (although I agree with you). There’s one poster here, in particular, who appears to engage only in snark and sarcasm and doesn’t really post about, you know, hockey. Just ignore him.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
You’re probably going to fight a losing battle (although I agree with you). There’s one poster here, in particular, who appears to engage only in snark and sarcasm and doesn’t really post about, you know, hockey. Just ignore him.

More than one. But I digress: They must be a joy at the family Thanksgiving table. Weighing out each portion and debating which part of the turkey tastes best only to be vegans.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Thanks, and I agree. Time to move on from this one.

Reactions: Estlin

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Mods, merge as you will.

Were the Bruins manhandled by the Blues in the Cup final?

Is Brett Ritchie enough to fill that void?

The Bruins lack the size, strength and mean streak *still* necessary to compete in the NHL, never mind winning it all.

Boston management appears unable, or umwilling, to address this aspcect of the game. They do so at their peril.

Two cents.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We weren’t physically manhandled.

What happened was the PP was so good and St Louis so dirty that the team relied on it and expected calls.

I have some concerns that the book is out on us and teams feel they can beat us by gooning it up. Even though the game is moving away from enforcers we got some players that are totally worthless in this regard. But that’s only gonna be an issue a few nights a year and fights don’t happen in the playoffs.

Cam and Bruce blew it when they let the Blues cheapshot and then whine to the refs about PP disparity they could have made some bold comments to keep things in perspective but said nothing. Montreal or Vancouver wouldn’t let their players get cheapshotted non stop without calling the cops or something Berubes comments don’t work if it’s an organization like that he’s using that card against.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Not really. St. Louis' roster was heavy and they played dirty, but I don't think that was the deciding factor in the outcome of the series.

It was really Bergeron's line losing battles to O'Reilly's line at even strength due to them all playing hurt, and adding a turd goon like Brett Richie to the 4th line instead of Acciari doesn't change that.

Plus, f***in' A...we got to game 7 of the finals and one of those losses was in OT and another by one goal after a horrendously blown call by the refs. I'm not hearing this "Not tough enough to compete in the NHL" shit. No, sir.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Mods, merge as you will.

Were the Bruins manhandled by the Blues in the Cup final?

Is Brett Ritchie enough to fill that void?

The Bruins lack the size, strength and mean streak *still* necessary to compete in the NHL, never mind winning it all.

Boston management appears unable, or umwilling, to address this aspcect of the game. They do so at their peril.

Two cents.

They won 15 playoff games last year - Tampa won how many? Oh yes ZERO

For those of us who were in the building, the second St. Louis goal sucked the life out of the fans and more importantly the players.

The second period lacked emotion - they needed to make something happen and couldn't. I don't think the Bruins respected the Blues and that was the fatal mistake. The Blues were an exceptional road team in the playoffs as Winnipeg, Dallas and San Jose found out.

Reactions: Spooner st

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

When people are still complaining about something this trivial months later, I fully believe it's a valid response. I didn't direct it at anyone, nor did I respond to someone that was whining. Just threw out a blanket statement that a handful of people were behaving like small children over the outcome of a game. As you picked up this mantel as soon as I said it, I have to think that you're self identifying as one who is still a little more than butt hurt over the way the season ended. If that's the case, have fun with that pity party.

member 96824

They played game 7 of the Stanley cup final on home ice, a Stanley cup final in which they outscored their opponents in the series. They outshot that opponent 27-10 in the first two periods.

Can’t compete? get the f*** out

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If Mojo scores the first goal on one of his three incredible period 1 opportunities the Bruins would have been tough enough to compete in the NHL.

funny how that works

Should have given the Conn Smythe to Binnington Jersey for that goal save on Marchand on the PP in the 1st.

It took more than 15min for the Blues to get a shot and they scored on a perfect deflection goal.

Everything went the Blues way in the first and when they scored their 2nd goal late in 1st, they were able to play their shell game and didn’t allow much rest of the game.

Those can’t compete hot takes are laughable.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
When people are still complaining about something this trivial months later, I fully believe it's a valid response. I didn't direct it at anyone, nor did I respond to someone that was whining. Just threw out a blanket statement that a handful of people were behaving like small children over the outcome of a game. As you picked up this mantel as soon as I said it, I have to think that you're self identifying as one who is still a little more than butt hurt over the way the season ended. If that's the case, have fun with that pity party.

Nope. I've been over the loss for quite awhile. If you made any genuine effort to actually read the thread you'd know that. It is indeed just a hockey game. But I still enjoy dissecting and reflecting on it, and most importantly considering what our team can learn from it for the season ahead, and it seems that others do too.

I simply found your comments to be rude, unproductive and pointless, so I decided to call you out on it. If people still want to talk about something, I really don't see why it should have to bother you. If you think it's a waste of time then just let them be. But make of it what you will, I'm moving on from this.

Reactions: Estlin

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nope. I've been over the loss for quite awhile. If you made any genuine effort to actually read the thread you'd know that. It is indeed just a hockey game. But I still enjoy dissecting and reflecting on it, and most importantly considering what our team can learn from it for the season ahead, and it seems that others do too.

I simply found your comments to be rude, unproductive and pointless, so I decided to call you out on it. If people still want to talk about something, I really don't see why it should have to bother you. If you think it's a waste of time then just let them be. But make of it what you will, I'm moving on from this.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize my view had to be approved and receive the Aussie Bruin seal of approval to be allowed here. I'll certainly make sure I clear everything I post with you from now on.

Ironically, you found my post to be pointless, yet you're in a thread whining about a loss from nearly 4 months ago, despite your protestations that you've been "over it for a while now". Uh, I'm not sure you really understand what that word means since you know, you're exhibiting the exact opposite of it in your posts.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'm sorry, I didn't realize my view had to be approved and receive the Aussie Bruin seal of approval to be allowed here. I'll certainly make sure I clear everything I post with you from now on.

Ironically, you found my post to be pointless, yet you're in a thread whining about a loss from nearly 4 months ago, despite your protestations that you've been "over it for a while now". Uh, I'm not sure you really understand what that word means since you know, you're exhibiting the exact opposite of it in your posts.

Astonishing. I give up.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The sports psychology aspect is one area I believe really cost the Bruins.

I know the Blues responded to losses very well, especially Binnington; but it seemed the B's had a tough time playing consecutive strong games. And that was more mental than physical. We all know how defeated the whole team was after Marchand's blunder led to the second goal, despite there still being 40 minutes to play.

I recall Patrice Bergeron's interview after the second period of Game 7 in Vancouver. Despite the B's having a comfortable lead, when asked to assess the team's play, the first words out of his mouth were "It's not good enough." There was a focus and fire in his eyes that I didn't see in the team in this year's Game 7.

I get it - the guys all have families now and are fabulously wealthy. Their mindset is different.

And I agree wholeheartedly masculinity has changed; and of course many of the changes are for the better. But am I totally on board with the 'kinder, gentler' game?

Frankly, no.

I know many thought they were cute, but I loathed the Carolina Hurricane's post-game celebrations and couldn't even fathom what would've happened had they done that in previous eras.

It's like rock and roll; I liked it a lot better when the bands were trying to get laid and doing drugs, and not trying to save the world.;)

I do wish the B's had at least some push-back to the Blues' old-school masculine toughness, and not just the borderline/cheap shots. Maroon skating by the B's bench saying "You guys are ******," in Boston no less, Bortuzzo going after Acciari after a face-off in the dying seconds of Game Six, Schenn trying to blow up Bergeron, etc.

I agree. There's a balance to be found between playing fair and professionally, and still showing the necessary grit, toughness, push back and steel when required. I think the Bruins had the grit and compete, they were just a little too unwilling to fight back and throw the Blues off their game and their sniping when required.

At heart I think our guys completely believed in their game style and plans and simply wanted to stick with them. They were reluctant to change what they were doing in answer to the Blues heavy stuff and occasional baiting. I understand that mentality, but they probably took it too far. They just needed to stand up for themselves a little bit better than they did and at least get the opposition thinking that they couldn't just do whatever they wanted on the ice with no repercussions. Not a massive deal in the overall scheme of things, but something to remember for the future.

On the Bs failing to back up after wins, that was really odd. Apart from the Carolina series, they did it most of the playoffs. It was almost as though they needed a loss to spur them on again. And again. I can't really work out why that was, except to agree that it was definitely mostly a mental issue rather than a physical one.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
M
This is three times now you have stated you are done and moving on from this. You are wanting discussion as long as it is classified as pertinent according to you.

They lost. New season. Move on to the present.

Mistaken again. Firstly I discussed the issue and finished up with you specifically. Then when LSC subsequently responded I felt it fair to do the same with them since their comments started this whole digression. But we seem to be mutually incomprehensible, hence my expressed incredulity.

Take it easy out there champ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad