2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
What turned out worse, that decision or the decision to let Jordan Binnington keep his NHL chances on life support and play for our AHL team?

The scrimmage, by far. The Binnington thing is not even a conversation point, IMO.

The scrimmage was a horrible idea, though. Hated it when they announced it, and predicted specifically that Marchand or another top guy would get dinged up. You are playing half-seriously, don't want to hurt yourselves or others, and that is how you GET hurt.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
The series loss along with Carlo and McaAvoy not being re-signed yet along with the team not really doing anything other than mojo has me having a real hard time getting into the team this season. I mean I believe for this group this was their last chance and now instead of being 2-1 they're 1-2 when it comes to winning SCFs. They were the superior talented team and played like dog ****. All the wave flagging ceremonies were for nothing.

That's how I feel, it was an incredible opportunity wasted. I'm also having a really hard time getting into this season, for the 1st time I won't be getting the NHL package to watch all of the B's games. What still really angers me is how the NHL allowed a two-bit thug as a player (Berube) to dictate how the NHL would officiate the finals after he complained about the amount of penalties being called after game 3, even though his Blues had 5 PP's to the Bruins 4. The refs putting away the whistles greatly benefitted the Blues, the league is so poorly run, it continues to amaze me why we all put up with it.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
the league is so poorly run, it continues to amaze me why we all put up with it.

As soon as it became evident that the Bruins were about to smash the Blues in a short series, the league stepped in to “level the playing field” so the series wouldn’t end too soon. A long series favored St. Louis.

My faith in professional sports officiating has been badly shaken several times since Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals. Not that I watched a lot of basketball before then, but I can’t watch it at all now, and the other three leagues leave me wondering more often than they should. Getting ever more difficult to be a sports fan in this day and age - and my favorite teams win a lot. I can’t imagine how other cities feel.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's how I feel, it was an incredible opportunity wasted. I'm also having a really hard time getting into this season, for the 1st time I won't be getting the NHL package to watch all of the B's games. What still really angers me is how the NHL allowed a two-bit thug as a player (Berube) to dictate how the NHL would officiate the finals after he complained about the amount of penalties being called after game 3, even though his Blues had 5 PP's to the Bruins 4. The refs putting away the whistles greatly benefitted the Blues, the league is so poorly run, it continues to amaze me why we all put up with it.

Poppycock.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
As soon as it became evident that the Bruins were about to smash the Blues in a short series, the league stepped in to “level the playing field” so the series wouldn’t end too soon. A long series favored St. Louis.

My faith in professional sports officiating has been badly shaken several times since Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals. Not that I watched a lot of basketball before then, but I can’t watch it at all now, and the other three leagues leave me wondering more often than they should. Getting ever more difficult to be a sports fan in this day and age - and my favorite teams win a lot. I can’t imagine how other cities feel.

Nonsense.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

umm, yeah, sorry, not correct

While the officiating in most if not all pro sports is laughable, I don`t for a minute believe it`s terrible due to a league being biased or the powers that be issue a mandate to the refs to ensure the "playing field" is level

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

You do realize this is a nice eloquent way of saying "the fix was in"?

Which is silly in my opinion.

Reactions: LSCII

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
umm, yeah, sorry, not correct

While the officiating in most if not all pro sports is laughable, I don`t for a minute believe it`s terrible due to a league being biased or the powers that be issue a mandate to the refs to ensure the "playing field" is level
Yeah, this is what I feel as well. I don't for one second believe the league made any sort of mandate to the officials to change their officiating or lengthen the series. What I DO believe is that officials are human, they heard Berube complain about calls that were made, and made a conscious effort "not to influence the game." As an official, I totally get that. I've been there myself. What is A LOT harder to incorporate is balancing not affecting the game by not making calls unless it's totally obvious or can't be avoided (puck over the glass) with actually significantly affecting the game by not making calls that SHOULD be made (Acciari getting tripped, multiple blatant headshots by the Blues going uncalled).

That said, the change in the way the games were officiated was only a part of the overall equation. The Bruins bury their good chances in Game 5, the series ends in 6. The Bruins bury their chances early in game 7, it's a totally different game.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
You do realize this is a nice eloquent way of saying "the fix was in"?

Which is silly in my opinion.

I don’t think the NHL cared who won. Not at all. But I do think they wanted the series to go as many games as possible, thus creating more revenue. It was about money. It always is.

Coincidentally, the longer series favored St. Louis’ grinding style.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
This is the very definition of a troll post. If it had a link attached to it, I'd call it clickbait worthy of Haggs or Murph.

Im sorry. game 7 carolina. 2010 against the flyers . 2011. we win. some how we come back from 2-0 defecit against mtl.
2012. first round against Dale friggin Hunter...2013... amazingly we win that game 7 against Tor. if not , out in round 1... 2014 round 2 against a weak mtl team game 7 as the president trophy winners....

2017 losing to ottawa. ..choked away a sure win in game 2.....2018.... tampa was just better.....this year....ultimate choke job... game 7 at home in the finals...this group just seems to fold under pressure in the big games. exept for game 7 against van. That was a domination win. But I really think Thomas deserves alot for that game.

my post was in anger as Im nowhere near as bad as the 2 clowns you mentioned. But the Bruins since 2009 have choked away so many chances. They seriously shouldve had 4 Cups since 2009.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
They really are a group of chokers is what it comes down to. That got lucky in game 7 against MTL in 2011

Im sorry. game 7 carolina. 2010 against the flyers . 2011. we win. some how we come back from 2-0 defecit against mtl.
2012. first round against Dale friggin Hunter...2013... amazingly we win that game 7 against Tor. if not , out in round 1... 2014 round 2 against a weak mtl team game 7 as the president trophy winners....

2017 losing to ottawa. ..choked away a sure win in game 2.....2018.... tampa was just better.....this year....ultimate choke job... game 7 at home in the finals...this group just seems to fold under pressure in the big games. exept for game 7 against van. That was a domination win. But I really think Thomas deserves alot for that game.

my post was in anger as Im nowhere near as bad as the 2 clowns you mentioned. But the Bruins since 2009 have choked away so many chances. They seriously shouldve had 4 Cups since 2009.

So basically to you if they win it is lucky otherwise a choke.

Gotcha!

preview.jpg

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Totally ridiculous.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This is the very definition of a troll post. If it had a link attached to it, I'd call it clickbait worthy of Haggs or Murph.

Just playing devil's advocate here but you don't think that Ryder's glove save with Thomas completely out of his net didn't have any element of luck to it? Ryder of all people, we're not say Chara or Bergy or any of the usual suspects. That would have been the game winning goal and in turn the elimination of the Bruins in the 1st round. Now granted the Bruins ran into a little bad luck with Chara being out the 1st two games , which would likely have made a difference but I have always considered that a lucky win. Winning 3 games seven's in a SC run is also a little lucky. In fairness we can say that about almost every team that wins the cup . Luck does play into winning a SC. So no, that is not a troll post at all, a different point of view is just that.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The fix was never in, but human nature is what it is. If anyone here thinks the league doesn’t communicate with officials game to game, they’re lying to themselves. If anyone thinks the refs aren’t influenced just like everyone else, you’re lying to yourself

But the bruins lost game 7, it wasn’t stolen from them.

A little bit of creativity and the banner is Boston’s to raise, they won game 6 handidly. It’s not like they were up 3-1 and lost 5,6,7 straight. There was a chance and they including the coach blew it.

I too am only feeling luke warm about the upcoming season but it’s more to do with having a lot going on outside of watching hockey, I’ll be watching this year but probably not as dedicated as I have in the past.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

So if they don’t win the cup each year they’re a bunch of choke artists, great point and totally not at all unrealistic

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
When you lose to teams you should beat in a game 7 on home ice how is it not a choke?

Choked vs Philly
Choked vs Carolina
Choked vs Washington
Choked vs Montreal
Choked vs St. Louis.

Not saying all those teams should have gone on to win the Cup but come on, take care of business on home ice in the deciding game. I get it though, only other teams can choke, we just lose because you can't always win.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Residing in southwestern Ontario Game 7 s versus the leafs more than up make up for the cup loss.
I disagree with this one.
Sure... it's always sweeter to beat rivals/enemies on our way to the cup. The ultimate goal is the cup.
Nothing... not even beating the Habs, Leafs, Caps on our way to the cup makes it to lose G7 in the finals. NOTHING.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
They really are a group of chokers is what it comes down to. That got lucky in game 7 against MTL in 2011
I won't ever forget about this loss, like I never forgot the too many men loss.

But I kind of remove the pain out of it rather quickly.
It's not easy, but it's something that needs to be done.
In order to get back into the reality of life. It's a survival thing, healthier alternative. Life MUST go on.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
So if they don’t win the cup each year they’re a bunch of choke artists, great point and totally not at all unrealistic

The Bruins are right up there with WSh and Tor as the ultimate chokers in my opinion. I love them and they are the only Boston team I follow, but they just dont win the big games. The core group they have had for the past 10 years, its dissappointing. They lose game 7s and big games to weaker teams.

I posted from 2009-2019, and I didnt even mention the total flops from before 2009.
Anyone remember the gong shows against mtl in 2002 and 2004??
How about getting swept by Buffalo as one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs in 1993?

Im just saying... How many Game 7s has this team lost?? especially at home?? I mean if we take out the wins against the ultimate choke artists the Leafs. I dont understand how a group of players cant get up for a game 7.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I agree with you. The other day I was thinking how odd it was this group hasn’t lost a single series anywhere close to the fashion of 93 May Day in the last decade plus. But routinely ducks out to lesser opponents and can’t win a game 7 at home or even play well in them.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad