2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I posted from 2009-2019, and I didnt even mention the total flops from before 2009.
Anyone remember the gong shows against mtl in 2002 and 2004??
How about getting swept by Buffalo as one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs in 1993?

Im just saying... How many Game 7s has this team lost?? especially at home?? I mean if we take out the wins against the ultimate choke artists the Leafs. I dont understand how a group of players cant get up for a game 7.

I agree with you. The other day I was thinking how odd it was this group hasn’t lost a single series anywhere close to the fashion of 93 May Day in the last decade plus. But routinely ducks out to lesser opponents and can’t win a game 7 at home or even play well in them.

I suspect that the team's leadership is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Reactions: Aeroforce

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I suspect that the team's leadership is not all that it's cracked up to be.

The worst part of this finals for me was how Marchand kept harping on how 2013 will never leave him becasue of how they lost...Then goes on to play the worst 7 games series in a final. Even if he was injured, the amount of peewee level mistakes he made was just baffling.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Just playing devil's advocate here but you don't think that Ryder's glove save with Thomas completely out of his net didn't have any element of luck to it? Ryder of all people, we're not say Chara or Bergy or any of the usual suspects. That would have been the game winning goal and in turn the elimination of the Bruins in the 1st round. Now granted the Bruins ran into a little bad luck with Chara being out the 1st two games , which would likely have made a difference but I have always considered that a lucky win. Winning 3 games seven's in a SC run is also a little lucky. In fairness we can say that about almost every team that wins the cup . Luck does play into winning a SC. So no, that is not a troll post at all, a different point of view is just that.
Funny how you pull out the "lucky" card when it suits your argument. Was it "unlucky" when Marchand is literally skating BEHIND Price in 2014 and the puck hits his skate and stays out? Was it unlucky, when Daugavins (I hate that name) missed a wide open net? Was it unlucky that in 2017, the Bruins defense was so injured they had to dress Tommy Cross? Sure, those things are unlucky, but being lucky and unlucky is part of the game. Winning a Stanley Cup is hard - probably the hardest championship to win. The Bruins have been to the finals 3 times in eight years. And you're going to blame that all on luck?

Reactions: TD Charlie

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The worst part of this finals for me was how Marchand kept harping on how 2013 will never leave him becasue of how they lost...Then goes on to play the worst 7 games series in a final. Even if he was injured, the amount of peewee level mistakes he made was just baffling.

Pressure and past experience can do strange things. I remember Marchand giving an interview just before game 1 of the SCF where he said something along the lines of being really keen not to repeat the mistakes he made in 2013. He probably mostly succeeded in this, but he was so focused on avoiding those errors that he either tightened up or lost some focus on just playing the game and made a bunch of new ones.

Past finals experience can be useful, but it can be a hindrance too. It can make you more aware of what's at stake, what can go wrong, and how much it hurts if you lose. Those things can be channelled positively, but they can also create fear, doubt and hesitancy. Conversely those players going in as finals novices have no baggage and less to worry about, allowing them to play more freely. Of course they can also be overwhelmed and unable to find a way to cope with the heightened pace and pressure of playoff hockey, so it too can go both ways. Just depends on the individual or the team as to how they manage either circumstance.

Reactions: PepeBostones

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
EEn5kdZWkAEkucZ

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Any improvement on marketing will be a plus as the team has been invisible in the crowded Boston market

NWHL's Boston Pride sold to private owner by league - Sportsnet.ca
BOSTON — Miles Arnone and a group of investors have purchased the Boston Pride from the National Women’s Hockey League, making it the only club with a private owner.

The NWHL announced the sale of the Pride on Tuesday. The Buffalo Beauts previously were the only team with a private owner until Terry and Kim Pegula sold it back to the league in May.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I've already braced myself for NBC's commercial showing past Cup winners lifting the Cup. Now we get to watch two visiting teams lifting the Cup on Boston's home ice.

After 3 months I have no animosity toward the Blues. But I've still got some festering ill will toward the B's, especially Marchand.

Yes, the guys are handling it like pros and life goes on. And I know I shouldn't feel this way, but it does rub me the wrong way how nonchalant they are about losing.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Well management flat out agreed when they signed Backes summer of 2016..that was very telling.

The Boston teams of 2014-15 and 2015-16 were doomed
by the JB trade and knee injuries of 44/33. That's your
top 3 D gone or significantly compromised. It took until
Carlo's arrival until they made the PO.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Pressure and past experience can do strange things. I remember Marchand giving an interview just before game 1 of the SCF where he said something along the lines of being really keen not to repeat the mistakes he made in 2013. He probably mostly succeeded in this, but he was so focused on avoiding those errors that he either tightened up or lost some focus on just playing the game and made a bunch of new ones.

Past finals experience can be useful, but it can be a hindrance too. It can make you more aware of what's at stake, what can go wrong, and how much it hurts if you lose. Those things can be channelled positively, but they can also create fear, doubt and hesitancy. Conversely those players going in as finals novices have no baggage and less to worry about, allowing them to play more freely. Of course they can also be overwhelmed and unable to find a way to cope with the heightened pace and pressure of playoff hockey, so it too can go both ways. Just depends on the individual or the team as to how they manage either circumstance.

What is frustrating was Marchand made brutally
bad plays during the PO. His gaffes in G7 and his play
on Tarasenko were literally Pee Wee level bad.
He also had a similar gaffe at the end of G5 against
Columbus. In the end he brings a hell of a lot more good than bad.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I've already braced myself for NBC's commercial showing past Cup winners lifting the Cup. Now we get to watch two visiting teams lifting the Cup on Boston's home ice.

After 3 months I have no animosity toward the Blues. But I've still got some festering ill will toward the B's, especially Marchand.

Yes, the guys are handling it like pros and life goes on. And I know I shouldn't feel this way, but it does rub me the wrong way how nonchalant they are about losing.

If you're expecting deep emotion out of a Finnish guy you'll be waiting awhile!

Otherwise I think part of the nonchalance is a cover, partly a sop to the media, and partly positive reinforcement and a coping mechanism to help get the guys ready to go for the new season and in a good frame of mind. I feel it's also part of the fact that, while I'm sure they're all really passionate about hockey and their team and its success, it's also a job. An amazing, unusual job, but a job none the less. And in a job some things are successful, and some aren't, but you've got to take the good with the bad and just move on, 'cause there's always more work to be done. In their case, there's always another game, so you keep doing your profession, keep doing it well, and move on to that next challenge. Us fans can dwell on the failures for ages, 'cause it's purely our passion and hobby, but they don't have that option in quite the same way.

I think for at least most of the squad it really did hurt pretty deep, and probably continues to do so. I have no hard feelings towards most of them, and I don't doubt how much they care.

But Marchand, geez, he's the exception. It's going to take longer to forgive him.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
If you're expecting deep emotion out of a Finnish guy you'll be waiting awhile!

Otherwise I think part of the nonchalance is a cover, partly a sop to the media, and partly positive reinforcement and a coping mechanism to help get the guys ready to go for the new season and in a good frame of mind. I feel it's also part of the fact that, while I'm sure they're all really passionate about hockey and their team and its success, it's also a job. An amazing, unusual job, but a job none the less. And in a job some things are successful, and some aren't, but you've got to take the good with the bad and just move on, 'cause there's always more work to be done. In their case, there's always another game, so you keep doing your profession, keep doing it well, and move on to that next challenge. Us fans can dwell on the failures for ages, 'cause it's purely our passion and hobby, but they don't have that option in quite the same way.

I think for at least most of the squad it really did hurt pretty deep, and probably continues to do so. I have no hard feelings towards most of them, and I don't doubt how much they care.

But Marchand, geez, he's the exception. It's going to take longer to forgive him.
All very good points, and I concede it's shallow and/or wrong for me to expect contrition from the players. But I can't help but wonder, if the game didn't really mean as much to them as they say, could it simply be the Blues wanted it more?

Obviously I'm not a mind-reader, but Rask seems very sincere and convincing when he says there are more important things in life than a hockey game, as well as when he says about Game Sevens "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose." I'm not saying those statements aren't true, but it's not exactly what I want to hear out of a starting goaltender, nor is it a great look to paying customers.

And I was feeling especially bad for Krug since he wasn't here in 2011 but was in 2013; so now he has 2 Finals losses under his belt and no Cup. But his son was born 4 days after the loss, so he's happy. It makes me even more relieved I didn't drop the huge sum I was considering to travel and be at the game.

I always recall a brief interview with Claude Julien at the airport when he was returning to Boston for training camp in 2012, after the B's were ousted in their title defense. The look on his face suggested he was miserable the entire summer, and he spent every waking hour antsy to get back and right the wrong; and his words suggested the same.

Now one could say that was Julien's usual demeanor anyway; but it was reassuring that the loss didn't sit well with him.

I also recall John Tortorella's interview last year, lamenting how opposing players today joke with each other in the face-off circle. He said he asked his players if they could at least pretend they disliked their opponent. I wouldn't mind Rask and Krug at least pretending the Game Seven loss bothered them a little more.

I know these old-school guys like Julien and Tortorella,and their anachronistic mindsets, allegedly aren't hip today. But hey, just look at Craig Berube. ;)

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
All very good points, and I concede it's shallow and/or wrong for me to expect contrition from the players. But I can't help but wonder, if the game didn't really mean as much to them as they say, could it simply be the Blues wanted it more?

Obviously I'm not a mind-reader, but Rask seems very sincere and convincing when he says there are more important things in life than a hockey game, as well as when he says about Game Sevens "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose." I'm not saying those statements aren't true, but it's not exactly what I want to hear out of a starting goaltender, nor is it a great look to paying customers.

And I was feeling especially bad for Krug since he wasn't here in 2011 but was in 2013; so now he has 2 Finals losses under his belt and no Cup. But his son was born 4 days after the loss, so he's happy. It makes me even more relieved I didn't drop the huge sum I was considering to travel and be at the game.

I always recall a brief interview with Claude Julien at the airport when he was returning to Boston for training camp in 2012, after the B's were ousted in their title defense. The look on his face suggested he was miserable the entire summer, and he spent every waking hour antsy to get back and right the wrong; and his words suggested the same.

Now one could say that was Julien's usual demeanor anyway; but it was reassuring that the loss didn't sit well with him.

I also recall John Tortorella's interview last year, lamenting how opposing players today joke with each other in the face-off circle. He said he asked his players if they could at least pretend they disliked their opponent. I wouldn't mind Rask and Krug at least pretending the Game Seven loss bothered them a little more.

I know these old-school guys like Julien and Tortorella,and their anachronistic mindsets, allegedly aren't hip today. But hey, just look at Craig Berube. ;)

Sports psychology is a funny beast. I'm sure the Bruins players really really wanted the Cup, and had probably convinced themselves that they couldn't want it any more and couldn't do anything more to get it. But somehow, I think the Blues did want it that little bit more and were willing to do things to get it, right or wrong, that the Bs weren't. They were just that tiny bit more desperate, and it mattered. Why exactly that was I don't know. I thought Rask's comment that they thought they had the Cup won after game 6 and couldn't lose at home again was telling, probably true for most of the squad, and really dangerous. I get that a team wants to be confident and believe that they'll win, especially at home, but there's nothing more destructive in sport than getting ahead of yourself.

Otherwise Rask is Rask. He leaves himself open to criticism with his relaxed demeanour and roll with the punches attitude when things go badly, and I totally understand that, especially with his poor elimination games record, but he was completely dialled in and brilliant for most of the playoffs, so I can't say he didn't give it his all. And he's not going to change. Krug's situation was really unusual so it's hard to say how he would have taken it in other circumstances.

The way sports are played and the attitudes of players have changed. I think there's a few reasons for that. Masculinity has changed - most men no longer have hyper aggression, competitiveness, stoicism and ruggedness, for lack of a better word, drilled into them. Having to 'hate' your opponent as a mortal enemy is now frowned upon in most sporting realms. The professionalisation of sport has contributed to the 'it's a job' mentality I outlined in my previous post - next game/season, the career carries on and all that. The sheer amount of money in sport has had an impact too - mostly for the worst I would say. Losing a game, even a final, feels not quite so bad when you've got your big house and car and millions of dollars to fall back on. With greater connectivity, social media and player movements, there's also more familiarity and contact between players on different teams, so it's harder to demonise the opposition.

I think on the whole it's a mixed bag - some things were better in the older, simpler days, but some things have certainly changed for the better.

What I hope right now is that however exactly the Bs have dealt with their loss, they put it to good use in how they approach the imminent season. In the end that's all that matters going forwards. Unfortunately, what's done is done.

jangerhofer

Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire
Was just reminded of this play on the mid-first-period PP. How many times out of ten does Marchand bury this in a vacuum?
Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 1.27.38 PM.png
Later on in the period, I notice... :mad:
Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 1.31.51 PM.png

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Winning is just more important to some people than others.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Bad play is one thing by a select few but what drove me nuts was Cassidy continuing to match lines
He was coming up on the short end of the Bergeron line against the O’Reilly line most of the series. Game seven you have the last change and there it goes again same matchup. Berube must have been laughing his nuts off

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Can this thread be deleted.... It is awfully depressing.

I find it to be an amusing mix of misguided anger and pettiness to the point where it makes me 100% sure that many of the folks posting these lamentations have to be under the age of 14 and have never actually lived through a true life altering moment on a personal level.

It's a game. They lost. Get over it. :laugh:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bad play is one thing by a select few but what drove me nuts was Cassidy continuing to match lines
He was coming up on the short end of the Bergeron line against the O’Reilly line most of the series. Game seven you have the last change and there it goes again same matchup. Berube must have been laughing his nuts off
This rhetoric is so overblown, that wasn't even the match-up. Just because they're both Selke guys doesn't mean they matched up. 25% of Bergeron's ES TOI was against O'Reilly. O'Reilly was the best player in the series, but he did not go head-to-head against the Bergeron line. Bergeron primarily played against Schenn but it wasn't a hard match like the Tavares line was. Cassidy really doesn't put much into match-ups, that was more of a Clode thing.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
This rhetoric is so overblown, that wasn't even the match-up. Just because they're both Selke guys doesn't mean they matched up. 25% of Bergeron's ES TOI was against O'Reilly. O'Reilly was the best player in the series, but he did not go head-to-head against the Bergeron line. Bergeron primarily played against Schenn but it wasn't a hard match like the Tavares line was. Cassidy really doesn't put much into match-ups, that was more of a Clode thing.
Lol wow did you watch the games Bergeron still limping around going against their best line
Rhetoric? Admit it he f’ed up
Should have put Krejci with Marchand and Pasta, Berube’s head would have exploded

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Lol wow did you watch the games Bergeron still limping around going against their best line
Rhetoric? Admit it he f’ed up
Should have put Krejci with Marchand and Pasta, Berube’s head would have exploded
I'm not saying he had a good series, but that was not the matchup, that's a factual thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->