GDT: Game 68: Red Wings at penguins 6:00 pm et 3/17/24 (ESPN+, BSD, NHLN)

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm sure the players also think they're trying and playing to the best of their abilities. Figuring this shit out is why coaches exist. "Play better and harder" isn't coaching.

Obviously the game plans, defensive strategies, and pep talks aren't working any more than the effort/execution by many of the players.
Call up Kasper and make him wear a Larkin mask. 100% improvement overnight.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So much (highly paid) waste on one roster.

A team can get by having a Maatta, Copp, Petry, Rasmussen, Holl on the team. But having all of them on the same roster and taking up like $20M in cap space is ridiculous

Lyon has also come staggering back down to earth. Time to run Reimer and just hope for the best

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Defensemen in the month of March, 8 games

Walman (6 games): -7
Seider: -7
Petry: -9
Ghost: -4
Chiarot: -7
Maatta: -4

Holl (2 games): +1

Maatta and Ghost handling their matchups better than the other pairings does not match my perceptions.

Reactions: Henkka

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So much (highly paid) waste on one roster.

A team can get by having a Maatta, Copp, Petry, Rasmussen, Holl on the team. But having all of them on the same roster and taking up like $20M in cap space is ridiculous

Lyon has also come staggering back down to earth. Time to run Reimer and just hope for the best
Probably a good thing it's less than $16M then.

Defensemen in the month of March, 8 games

Walman (6 games): -7
Seider: -7
Petry: -9
Ghost: -4
Chiarot: -7
Maatta: -4

Holl (2 games): +1

Maatta and Ghost handling their matchups better than the other pairings does not match my perceptions.
Because Maatta/Ghost quite literally get the easiest matchups of any D pairing in the league.

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
Another losing streak is about to begin. I've better things to do than watch pirate streams of bad hockey. Paint must be drying somewhere or toilet needs a scrub.
yep good think i didnt shell out money for a subscription to something just so i can watch wing games.
Probably a good thing it's less than $16M then.

Because Maatta/Ghost quite literally get the easiest matchups of any D pairing in the league.
true but seider has not been great as well. we need to find a top pair dman to play with seider to push walman down. walman is not a top 4 d. he is with out blue line but you can see he should not be there.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
yep good think i didnt shell out money for a subscription to something just so i can watch wing games.

true but seider has not been great as well. we need to find a top pair dman to play with seider to push walman down. walman is not a top 4 d. he is with out blue line but you can see he should not be there.
That's one of the main problems.

Where do we get a top pair defenseman? They don't grow on trees, unlike the Maatas and Holls,

same number as Olli Määttä.

He's a vanilla midget. A very specialized player that is worthless 5 on 5. He's been a good scorer for this team but relies too much on others around him and the powerplay.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Where do we get a top pair defenseman? They don't grow on trees, unlike the Maatas and Holls,
I mean, at this point I'd try Maatta on the top pairing.

Maatta - Seider
Walman - Holl
Chiarot - Petry

Reactions: PelagicJoe

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Just can't find the energy to care about DeBrincat because this teams biggest problems are not him.

Yzerman needs to go hard this offseason.
tumblr_lzo6uaPNcF1r98lguo1_500.gif

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021

He's a vanilla midget. A very specialized player that is worthless 5 on 5. He's been a good scorer for this team but relies too much on others around him and the powerplay.
I don't convinced. Lalonde has been playing them so passive and risk adverse. Look at Kostin;

With DET:
- 33 GP, 3G, 1A, 4 Pts

With SJS
- 5 GP, 2G, 2A, 4 Pts

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018

Does that really matter? The Wings forwards are not very good and he helps.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't convinced. Lalonde has been playing them so passive and risk adverse. Look at Kostin;

With DET:
- 33 GP, 3G, 1A, 4 Pts

With SJS
- 5 GP, 2G, 2A, 4 Pts
to be fair, Kostin has had way more opportunity with San Jose. As bad as we are, we arent San Jose bad

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
What is the harm in calling up Edvinsson the remaining few weeks?

We don't want the GR boys to lose their drinking buddies?
I mean, I'm all for gutting GR and bringing up Ed, Kasper, and Cossa. But that's not going to happen.

GR is 21 points clear of the playoff cutoff with 15 games left. Bring up the kids, see if they can straighten out the Wings. If it doesn't work, there are still playoffs in the A after.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
to be fair, Kostin has had way more opportunity with San Jose. As bad as we are, we arent San Jose bad
The Sharks lost a week ago against the Pens with 6-3.

If we talking creating 5v5 offense we are actually worse. Wings are last in NHL in expected goals/60.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
If I’m Kostin and have money, I’d rather live in San Jose than Detroit and get more playing time. This trade was good for him.

I wouldn’t blame Seider or Raymond if they didn’t want to sign long-term for this franchise. At best this team makes the playoffs the next few years. They’re missing too many big pieces to contend.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I mean, I'm all for gutting GR and bringing up Ed, Kasper, and Cossa. But that's not going to happen.

GR is 21 points clear of the playoff cutoff with 15 games left. Bring up the kids, see if they can straighten out the Wings. If it doesn't work, there are still playoffs in the A after.
I'd be bringing in johansson kasper mazur and seeing where they're at so we can prepare for next season as they'd possibly be in the lineup... unless yzerman pretends they might make the roster even though he signs 8 ufa's

I'm not even concerned with the wings making the playoffs cause it would be miracle at this point

If it were up to me kasper edvinsson johansson are all a redwing next season and possibly mazu and soderblom depending how camp goes

Fabbri copp maata holl petry are all gone, with salary retention or not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad