GDT: Game 68: Red Wings at penguins 6:00 pm et 3/17/24 (ESPN+, BSD, NHLN)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
giphy.gif

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
For me it’s the frustration where they actually look like a real gud NHL team , but then regress to what we’ve seen for the past several seasons.

On paper they’re a better team, but again what’s their identity - not highly skilled - not physical at all - just a very bland team with a coaching staff that leads me to believe that they’ll be a mid pack franchise for years to come.

I agree with most of you characterization other than the last bit.

I don't know what this franchise will be for years to come. I think the process is a long, slow crawling out of a deep hole because of what Holland left and because of how the Wings fared in the draft when they were truly the worst in the league.

They came away remarkably well in spite of getting screwed by the league in draft picks, but they don't have a generational talent to build around. So I think it is slowly trying to improve wherever possible and as the team hopefully climbs the standings they will be more likely to lure good UFAs.

And beyond that, I don't know what the alternative path is.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
It's a very mediocre team on paper. Upfront you have Larkin, Raymond and a whole lot of depth guys who bring nothing to the table. The defense is a disaster outside of Seider. Rotating Lyon/Husso/Reimer is rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

The slimmer of hope before the losing streak was nice, but this team is in a terrible spot moving forward. Not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to secure high draft picks. Even amongst the prospects, there are some nice pieces but no game changers. And the young core of Raymond and Seider is about to get expensive.

A well laid out case for blowing it all up. Start's with the GM.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I agree with most of you characterization other than the last bit.

I don't know what this franchise will be for years to come. I think the process is a long, slow crawling out of a deep hole because of what Holland left and because of how the Wings fared in the draft when they were truly the worst in the league.

They came away remarkably well in spite of getting screwed by the league in draft picks, but they don't have a generational talent to build around. So I think it is slowly trying to improve wherever possible and as the team hopefully climbs the standings they will be more likely to lure good UFAs.

And beyond that, I don't know what the alternative path is.

A lot of teams are successful without a 'generational talent'. Look at Vegas, Florida, Carolina to name a few. No, the Wings won't have one either, so they'll have to build a deeper team.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Pretty sure the whole team were responsible for having 5 SOG at the midway point of the game lol
I believe we outshot and outplayed them pretty much in period 2.

I'll check the stats now.

We outshot them 12-11 in 2nd.

That was a stupid penalty to take.

Last year after the Ottawa games I would tune in if I was free and had nothing going on . You knew the team was done, checked out and had basically no hope for the post season, I could live with that. This team unfortunately gave and still gives that glimmer of hope. Especially considering they are still technically in a playoff spot. It's the hours of dedicating yourself to a team that really doesn't play like they care, is the problem to me. I'm sure they do, they are professionals and hockey is their life but man... the guys outside a select few are taking turns on showing why they shouldn't be part of the team going forward like it's an audition to get out.

I have done my best to not be overly critical of some of the guys because in reality they are still slotted above where they should be but you'd expect at least one or two games for guys to step up in this stretch. Yzerman has to be wondering what he does if this team doesn't make it into the post season. You can sign another center or trade for one but you then have Copp and Compher making 10 plus as your #3 and #4....not ideal but the cap is growing. Maybe the play is to bring up the youth and let the other guys occupy the rest of the space ? Interesting situation developing anyways.
This year they are 1 year more experienced.
Copp and Compher should not be a problem in 2 years.
Should've tanked more obviously.

/s
I thought he should have tanked more year after picking Raymond.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad