GDT: Game 68: Red Wings at penguins 6:00 pm et 3/17/24 (ESPN+, BSD, NHLN)

MIKELGRW

Jul 13, 2022
South Florida
Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (56).png

Lyon is expected in net. Let's Go Boys!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Pens can't be happy after yesterday's performance, so I expect them to come out swinging.

Hopefully they'll come out looking as motivated as the Wing did after losing to Florida and Colorado.

We must play this game like it is a playoff game and continue this trajectory to the end of the season.

Yesterday's game seemed to be the first time the Wings understood that the rest of the games are essentially playoff games for them.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Why am I more leary with Lyon now than with Reimer? God can we ever have a concrete goaltending situation? Is Husso ever coming back? Anyway haven't played the Pens since the beginning of time it feels like. Yeah how's that Karlsson deal workin for ya lol. Thought it was just gonna be plug and play. Stupid Pens

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Listening to the guys on TBS just talk, during the Rangers/Islanders game Darren Pang, trying to force a laugh, over/for some player taking a drink of a green drink is/was extremely cringe worthy... They've got an ok Pre and post-game thing going though, those guys aren't extremely terrible.

Sometimes you really wonder what the heck... lol. Aren't there actually good sideline guys that maybe have qualifications outside of they played the game.

EDIT* ESPN- best we can do is Emily Kaplan... wait hold my beer... Leah Hextall.

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Listening to the guys on TBS just talk, during the Rangers/Islanders game Darren Pang, trying to force a laugh, over/for some player taking a drink of a green drink is/was extremely cringe worthy... They've got an ok Pre and post-game thing going though, those guys aren't extremely terrible.

Sometimes you really wonder what the heck... lol. Aren't there actually good sideline guys that maybe have qualifications outside of they played the game.

EDIT* ESPN- best we can do is Emily Kaplan... wait hold my beer... Leah Hextall.

We are extremely lucky to have the Mickey and Ken and the rest. Going to be a tough act to follow when Mickey hangs them up.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
We are extremely lucky to have the Mickey and Ken and the rest. Going to be a tough act to follow when Mickey hangs them up.
as I said in a previous GDT, I've been listening to Mick call games basically his whole career with the Wings which was also around the start of my being a Wings fan. He and Strader made a great pair as well (RIP Dave).

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
as I said in a previous GDT, I've been listening to Mick call games basically his whole career with the Wings which was also around the start of my being a Wings fan. He and Strader made a great pair as well (RIP Dave).
I've been listening to Redmond for 36 years at this point. It's already jarring when I listen to Wings games and he's not there. Ken Kal is also getting up there in years. It's going to be really sad when these guys hang up their mics. Redmond is 76 and Kal is 66. Wouldn't be surprised to see Redmond retire within a year or two, and with Ken Kal's health issues I'm sure he won't be far behind.

I figure Redmond has already told FSN he's going to start phasing himself out which is why they are bringing so many retired Wings in these last few years. I don't remember them really doing that before.

I'll be kind of broken up when they are gone, that'll be the last part of the Wings from my childhood that is still around.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

What's wrong with Emily Kaplan? She's better than some of the guys on the panel.

Leah is just brutal.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021

Yup. We are spoiled, can't deny it. And both ways, because Ken Daniels is easily in the upper 10% of play-by-play, and not only for this league. If you occasionally try some other broadcast for comparison, or if you watch other sports, it's just so obviously worse..

Fortunately, he is 10 years younger than Mickey and seems to love what he does. Especially when this rebuild finally is over, and we get back to being a perennial playoff team, I can see him do it another 10 years. Hopefully we get somebody into the color role in the meantime, that'll be at least good at it. :crossfing

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
For those of us living outside the metro Detroit area the game is only available on the NHL Network...

Personally, I was sad to see Darren Eliot go. I'm not thrilled with anyone in the current crop after Mickey.
What's wrong with dad bod Chris?

1710709244464.png

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Personally, I was sad to see Darren Eliot go. I'm not thrilled with anyone in the current crop after Mickey.

Agreed - smart guy, good sense of humor, never stumbling over his own words. And I guess Ken would've liked him as a replacement rather than some other options. That being said, it'll probably be Ozzy, especially because seemingly they get along well.

Reactions: Bench

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Why is the NHL making it so difficult for me to watch a Red Wings game this weekend?
They really want people to sign up for cable to watch their fledgling network that no one wants to watch. NHLN needs to be exclusively a streaming network. I need a cable bill like I need another hole in my head.

Reactions: theYman

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
They really want people to sign up for cable to watch their fledgling network that no one wants to watch. NHLN needs to be exclusively a streaming network. I need a cable bill like I need another hole in my head.
Yup exactly get with the times, figure it out Bettman

Well here we go!
Will it be a shitshow!
Nobody will know!
Ok bro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad