GDT: Game 68: Red Wings at penguins 6:00 pm et 3/17/24 (ESPN+, BSD, NHLN)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
How many years in a row is this now: goalie goes on hot streak, team rides them till the wheels fall off, goalie loses confidence, team collapses in front of them.

I dunno, how many backup goalies has Stevie signed? Seems like every year his MO is to sign and/or trade for backup goalies then try to use them as starters. Maybe he'll get lucky the 10th time, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: theYman

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Team so bad we can't even beat Ned. lol
Last year:
68g 30-29-9 69pts 201GF 224GA -23 last 10 games 2-7-1 LOL
this year:
68g 34-28-6 74pts 232GF 229GA +3 last 10 games 2-8 LOL!!

Wow a whole 5pts more!!
And we're actually worse defensively

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
That's one of the main problems.

Where do we get a top pair defenseman? They don't grow on trees, unlike the Maatas and Holls,

He's a vanilla midget. A very specialized player that is worthless 5 on 5. He's been a good scorer for this team but relies too much on others around him and the powerplay.
There’s a potential one rotting in the minors as we speak.

Reactions: Filppula

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Oof. Had RPG and dinner with the fellas today. After reading the GDT, I guess I won't bother watching the highlights unless Ray's goal was cool.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Just watched the highlights.

So the Wings give up a goal on another flukey bounce. Then it's odd man rush. Not clearing the crease. Leaving a guy wide open for a deflection in front of the net.

Seems like they remembered how to play like an NHL team for one game and then relapsed.

Raymond and Fischer continue to show heart and grit.

The highlights unfortunately had the Pens announcers. On Raymond's second goal he sounded like someone shot his dog. lol. It's ok lil buddy your team is still up two goals with three and a half minutes left.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

So the Wings give up a goal on another flukey bounce. Then it's odd man rush. Not clearing the crease. Leaving a guy wide open for a deflection in front of the net.

Seems like they remembered how to play like an NHL team for one game and then relapsed.

The highlights unfortunately had the Pens announcers. On Raymond's second goal he sounded like someone shot his dog. lol. It's ok lil buddy your team is still up two goals with three and a half minutes left.
Did it show the part where Ras had the puck on a 3on1, took the shot and missed the net? They then take it up the ice and Crosby scored on some goofiness.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Lyon was keeping this team in contention but it was never going to last. Same as Husso last year. These career backups playing behind terrible defenses aren't going to pan out long-term.
The commentary was that this was the most Lyon has played at the NHL level before this season was last year at 14 games he has now played over 30. He hasn't been sharp but you cannot blame him entirely because the D in front of him have been awful.

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

For me it’s the frustration where they actually look like a real gud NHL team , but then regress to what we’ve seen for the past several seasons.

On paper they’re a better team, but again what’s their identity - not highly skilled - not physical at all - just a very bland team with a coaching staff that leads me to believe that they’ll be a mid pack franchise for years to come.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
For me it’s the frustration where they actually look like a real gud NHL team , but then regress to what we’ve seen for the past several seasons.

On paper they’re a better team, but again what’s their identity - not highly skilled - not physical at all - just a very bland team with a coaching staff that leads me to believe that they’ll be a mid pack franchise for years to come.
It's a very mediocre team on paper. Upfront you have Larkin, Raymond and a whole lot of depth guys who bring nothing to the table. The defense is a disaster outside of Seider. Rotating Lyon/Husso/Reimer is rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

The slimmer of hope before the losing streak was nice, but this team is in a terrible spot moving forward. Not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to secure high draft picks. Even amongst the prospects, there are some nice pieces but no game changers. And the young core of Raymond and Seider is about to get expensive.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Team so bad we can't even beat Ned. lol
Last year:
68g 30-29-9 69pts 201GF 224GA -23 last 10 games 2-7-1 LOL
this year:
68g 34-28-6 74pts 232GF 229GA +3 last 10 games 2-8 LOL!!

Wow a whole 5pts more!!
And we're actually worse defensively
Maybe his Serbian nana put a spell on the Wings?

1710741284573.png

Oct 18, 2006
Was just watching the replay now without knowing scores. Got to 4-1 and pulled the pin. Useless bunch of hacks. Like seriously this isn’t even fun, we’re losing consistently and there’s zero rookies. So much fun.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Last year after the Ottawa games I would tune in if I was free and had nothing going on . You knew the team was done, checked out and had basically no hope for the post season, I could live with that. This team unfortunately gave and still gives that glimmer of hope. Especially considering they are still technically in a playoff spot. It's the hours of dedicating yourself to a team that really doesn't play like they care, is the problem to me. I'm sure they do, they are professionals and hockey is their life but man... the guys outside a select few are taking turns on showing why they shouldn't be part of the team going forward like it's an audition to get out.

I have done my best to not be overly critical of some of the guys because in reality they are still slotted above where they should be but you'd expect at least one or two games for guys to step up in this stretch. Yzerman has to be wondering what he does if this team doesn't make it into the post season. You can sign another center or trade for one but you then have Copp and Compher making 10 plus as your #3 and #4....not ideal but the cap is growing. Maybe the play is to bring up the youth and let the other guys occupy the rest of the space ? Interesting situation developing anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad