Post-Game Talk: Game 68 - Krug wins it in OT - BRUINS 2 Sunrise 1 F/OT

rank

Mar 2, 2020
Carlo got hit in the head. He’s hurt. Was is 100% intentional? I don’t think so. Carlo ducted in their pretty low trying to retrieve the puck.

I hope he is okay but I’m good with the call - even after several looks at it.
Pure speculation but I’m guessing the call was changed because he didn’t look to be hurt bad enough for a major.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It’s like blizzaro world. When I saw it live, I thought it warranted a minor, but after seeing the replay, I thought double minor at the least.

What could the refs have seen on replay that made them think the opposite?
Double minor is not an allowed call for an elbow. Only allowed for spearing, head butting, butt-ending (for all three, if attempted, but no actual contact), and high sticking. roughing is not included, as two roughing minors that we call “double rough” are actually two distinct and separate applications of the rule, though they are treated the same way when a short handed goal is scored.

Nesn was saying the rule book says that a major must be given for an elbow with contact to the head causing injury.
Interesting....
I wanted to be sure, so I looked too. The studio guys are correct (and I was wrong). Because of the injury, it should have been a major (rule 45.3). Also, because of the automatic major, should have been a game misconduct. Unless...they concluded what I outline below...

The only justification I can think of for why the penalty was reduced is that Toronto felt it was because of the follow through. The rules change expressly says that review can only be used to “confirm” a major (or double-minor high stick), or reduce it, but cannot fully rescind a called penalty (except in cases where a player was high sticked by his own stick). So, if they felt the contact was because of the follow through, their only remedy was to reduce it to a minor, because they couldn’t rescind it altogether. Not sure if the league will comment on it tomorrow, but that’s the only justification I can see.

That said, I still don’t think this was some egregious cheap shot. It looked like the follow through of the play on the puck.It sucks that Carlo took one in the face, but it just doesn’t look intentional to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
honestly pretty tired of seeing Bruce with his little f***ing smirk every time we get f***ed over by a call or a cheap shot. Just once i would love to see him show some f***ing emotion that he cares and snap and blow up on the clowns in stripes .

I don’t care about the smirk when he’s 160-65-34 as the Bruins coach

he can give the refs lollipops for all i care with that record

rank

Mar 2, 2020
I’m going to go ahead and predict a $5,000 fine to Dandonov and maybe a 1 game suspension.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I’m going to go ahead and predict a $5,000 fine to Dandonov and maybe a 1 game suspension.
I doubt he gets suspended! It's seems to be only Bruin players who get suspended by this joke of a league.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
giphy (1).gif

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
  • Nick Ritchie is the BADASS that this team needed
  • So glad Kase was ok and praying Carlo will be; we need both for the playoffs
  • Please, please stay injury free heading into the playoffs; if extra rest days are needed for veterans - take them!
  • Krug needs to remain a Boston Bruin

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Carlo got hit in the head. He’s hurt. Was is 100% intentional? I don’t think so. Carlo ducted in their pretty low trying to retrieve the puck.

I hope he is okay but I’m good with the call - even after several looks at it.

You may be ok with the call but still doesn’t mean it was the correct call cause it was not. Again as mentioned numerous times the rule book says any elbowing infraction that causes injury MUST be called a major. The call was indeed blown by the letter of the law

Reactions: lopey

rank

Mar 2, 2020
You may be ok with the call but still doesn’t mean it was the correct call cause it was not. Again as mentioned numerous times the rule book says any elbowing infraction that causes injury MUST be called a major. The call was indeed blown by the letter of the law
Define injury

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Define injury

Lol ya I mean that’s true. From past history it would seem to be any player who lies on the ice for any amount of time after the play is over. I see your point but clearly someone leaving the game and not returning would classify as an injury.

I do think history plays a part in these judgement calls and Dadonov has pretty much zero. Like someone said in the GDT if that’s Marchy throwing the ‘bow there’s a thread on the Main board calling for 10 games

Reactions: rank

rank

Mar 2, 2020
Lol ya I mean that’s true. From past history it would seem to be any player who lies on the ice for any amount of time after the play is over. I see your point but clearly someone leaving the game and not returning would classify as an injury.

I do think history plays a part in these judgement calls and Dadonov has pretty much zero. Like someone said in the GDT if that’s Marchy throwing the ‘bow there’s a thread on the Main board calling for 10 games
That’s why I think the refs got the call right.
1. Carlo is on the ice and the call is a major.
2. Carlo gets up and appears not too bad so they changed it to a minor. No stretcher. No blood to speak of. Not wobbly.
3. Yes, dandanov is pretty clean and that probably helped him. That’s maybe why Carlo played him so soft too

At the time, the refs didn’t know he wouldn’t return.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Panthers played their A game, Bruins played their B game, yet still came out on top.

Am I missing something regarding the elbow, but does the word 'intent' appear in the rulebook?

I hope the Caps, Blues, and anyone else who thinks the the B's can still be pushed around saw Ritchie's fight. To rephrase Don Henley, "We haven't had that spirit here since - 2014 maybe?"

I imagine DeBrusk wanted to get Kase his first goal as a Bruin, but a blind drop pass (to no one) in the crease against a goalie who hasn't played in weeks? Sometimes I wish the guys would forget about the highlight reel plays.

Great win, and even if Tampa comes in desperate and takes two points, it's no big deal.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
That’s why I think the refs got the call right.
1. Carlo is on the ice and the call is a major.
2. Carlo gets up and appears not too bad so they changed it to a minor. No stretcher. No blood to speak of. Not wobbly.
3. Yes, dandanov is pretty clean and that probably helped him. That’s maybe why Carlo played him so soft too

At the time, the refs didn’t know he wouldn’t return.

I respect your opinion just can’t say that I agree especially with how much emphasis is put on avoiding and eliminating head injuries. What’s worse a bloody nose or concussion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad