Post-Game Talk: Game 68 - Krug wins it in OT - BRUINS 2 Sunrise 1 F/OT

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I guess the ref's thought the elbow as not intentional, hence that is why ED received the minor penalty?
They must view elbowing like a high sticking penalty, with the exception of cutting someone with the stick and or causing injury which is a double minor or major ( up to the ref's discretion).
Carlo was bleeding as well, which confused me as to why it was not called a major.
The elbow clearing caused an injury.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
We are mere fans and don't have the specialized skills of mind reading that the NHL officials have

They can instantly scan the perpetrator's mind and decide if intentional or accidental.

accidental was the verdict

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I guess the ref's thought the elbow as not intentional, hence that is why ED received the minor penalty?
They must view elbowing like a high sticking penalty, with the exception of cutting someone with the stick and or causing injury which is a double minor or major ( up to the ref's discretion).
Carlo was bleeding as well, which confused me as to why it was not called a major.
The elbow clearing caused an injury.

These days crosschecking in front of the net and in scrums along the boards must not be intentional either. :(

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I did not see the game and just now saw the replay.
Double minor. There was some intent.
Looking over his shoulder to see where Carlo was proves that.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
There is no double minor for elbowing. Minor or major.

According to NHL rules, double minor penalties are only assessed for butt-ending, head-butting, high-sticking and spearing, although a major penalty must be imposed for an elbow resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent (which would also result in a game misconduct penalty)

So the NHL officials determined that Carlo was not injured on the play :loony:

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE OFFICIAL RULES 2019-2020

TABLE 4
(Rule 18 – Double-minor Penalties)

SUMMARY OF DOUBLE-MINOR PENALTIES
Description Rule
(i)Butt-ending - Rule 58
(ii)Head-butting - Rule 47
(iii)High-sticking – Rule 60
(iv)Spearing - Rule 62

SECTION 6–PHYSICAL FOULS

Rule 45 - Elbowing

45.1 Elbowing - Elbowing shall mean the use of an extended elbow in a manner that may or may not cause injury.

45.2 Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of elbowing an opponent.

45.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who uses his elbow to foul an opponent. A major penalty must be imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent (see 45.5)

45.4 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by elbowing.

45.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct penalty shall also be imposed.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
I think you're wrong on a lot of this, but that's my opinion as well. I think he looked up ice to where his teammate (Barkov?) was, and tried to pull the puck past him up to his teammate. You latching on to the strict interpretation of what a "toe drag" is ignores that Dadonov was in fact making a play on the puck in tight, which would necessarily mean his elbow would come up on the follow through.
Not only did he try but he successfully made the pass, tape to tape to Barkov. I believe there was zero intent on the play.

Still the wrong call, if the refs determined it was an elbow (as evidenced by the penalty they called) then the rules are clear and it should have been a 5 minute major.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad