Post-Game Talk: GAME 65 - Too Little Too Late - Detroit 5 BRUINS 3

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
That's good news about Taylor Hall

My question for Monty about that "lack of desire to win 1 on 1 battles"- what are you going to do about it? This goes back to my post on page 1 of this thread and my repeated concerns about the PP.

I understand that after all the negativity from Cassidy that Monty's been a breath of fresh clean air with his positivity. However too much of a good thing is just as bad as too much of a bad thing. I guess what I'm asking is, does Monty have the willingness to take a tougher, less positive stance with the players & rein them in when they need it, as they seem to be getting to now??
Monty will hold them accountable where it matters, in the room. He's not going to do it in the media. If he says anything to the media it will be after he's spoken to the guys.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
some of you are jumping off a bridge and some aren’t. I do know, they haven’t looked good in the last 3-4 games. When was the last on time start? Also if the PP doesn’t get fixed we will be an early exit in the playoffs!! Yes!! I’m very salty right now, my Bruins were very mediocre today and I’ve been waiting to see a goalie hug in person. I get very limited chances to see them in person and today sucked!!! The ride home with 2 other Wings fans didn’t help the cause. I know some are saying we won’t see a full 60 minute effort until the playoffs, that’s a recipe for disaster. I don’t think the Bruins or any team can just turn it on when they want. This was a very bad Wings team and the last 2 days wer eye openers. Did we peak too soon? Time well tell but our play is trending down! I hate losing to my hometown team. I’m pissed!
I don’t think that anyone’s jumping off of any bridges. It’s more a case that we all know that half-assed efforts like we’ve seen the last three games aren’t going to cut it in the playoffs. No one is sure why the lackadaisical efforts and everyone has their theories: are they fatigued and need to rest players? Are they buying into their own hype? Do they think they can turn it on whenever they want? Are they trying to win games with minimal effort in order to conserve energy for the playoffs? Are they just going through the motions waiting for the playoffs to start? Everyone has their own idea but no one really knows, probably least of all them. Only thing everybody can agree on is that the power play needs to be better. A rested, healthy Bruins team with both the pk and pp clicking will be a handful and we all hope and wish that that’ll be the case.

Last edited:

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Boston need some challenge and they are getting some. That will allow Monty to be Monty and coach. When you are constantly winning even when not playing well it is wayyyyyyyy.... harder...

ShiftyNifty16

Blow it up, burn it down, hit reset and start over
Apr 11, 2014
Earth
I'm sure I'm considered one of the bridge jumpers for not having blind faith. This is a hockey team, not a religion. It's not about this game or losing any particular game, it's the trend that is setting in, it's watching poor, lazy habits necessitate come from behind wins. It's a PP that is a dysfunctional mess, little after zone entry twirls because they want to hold the puck or wait for the perfect double pass to Pasta, while guys going to the net are being ignored. It's guys skating through the slot and not shooting looking for a better option. If folks don't see these things, I don't know what to tell you.

I've been watching this team since before Bobby Orr came to town, they have won 3 cups in that time, 2 with him. It's "sorted it self out" once over the next 50 years. Once. This is a great team, one of the best ever so far. Playing at their best they are virtually unbeatable, but playoff history is littered with great teams that nobody remembers.

I absolutely expect them to lose games and have no problem with that. What makes me go to the bridge is spotting inferior teams 2 and 4 goals before they lace up the skates. This does need to sort it self out. Spot Carolina 2 to 4 goals and you can turn the lights out. Allowing teams to extend a series that should be over in 5 or 6 games will have consequences in later rounds even if they win that series.

Go Bs!

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Yes it seems those other years they had some nice streaks. The team will be fine.

I can’t even imagine how good a hall coyle bertuzzi line 3 will be
That’s where I’m at. How they finish the season for me is more about how does it affect their collective psyche if at all.

Reactions: LouJersey

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One thing baffles me - Why can't NHL teams agree on what their lifetime records are?

Detroit says

TODAY’S GAME RED WINGS vs. BRUINS / 1:30 P.M. EDT / LITTLE CAESARS ARENA / TV: TNT / RADIO: WXYT 97.1 FM TODAY: 614th all-time meeting, 306th in Detroit … Third of three games this season, only game at Little Caesars Arena ALL-TIME vs. BOS: 262-250-95-6 / HOME: 166-84-52-3 / LAST 10: 5-5-0 / IN 2021-22: 2-2-0 / THIS SEASON: 0-2-0

Boston says

BOSTON vs DETROIT, LIFETIME SERIES - The Bruins and Red Wings are meeting for the 614th time in their histories with the Bruins having a 255-257-95-5 record and 1,857-1,823 scoring advantage in those games. - The Bruins are 87-163-52-3 lifetime in Detroit with the Red Wings holding a 1016-774 scoring advantage in those 305 contests.

:huh:

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
One thing baffles me - Why can't NHL teams agree on what their lifetime records are?

Detroit says

TODAY’S GAME RED WINGS vs. BRUINS / 1:30 P.M. EDT / LITTLE CAESARS ARENA / TV: TNT / RADIO: WXYT 97.1 FM TODAY: 614th all-time meeting, 306th in Detroit … Third of three games this season, only game at Little Caesars Arena ALL-TIME vs. BOS: 262-250-95-6 / HOME: 166-84-52-3 / LAST 10: 5-5-0 / IN 2021-22: 2-2-0 / THIS SEASON: 0-2-0

Boston says

BOSTON vs DETROIT, LIFETIME SERIES - The Bruins and Red Wings are meeting for the 614th time in their histories with the Bruins having a 255-257-95-5 record and 1,857-1,823 scoring advantage in those games. - The Bruins are 87-163-52-3 lifetime in Detroit with the Red Wings holding a 1016-774 scoring advantage in those 305 contests.

:huh:
Because there are lies, damned lies, and statistics!

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
They need to give Bussi a few games. I don't mean that as a knock on Swayman because i think he'll be fine, but they need to see what they have internally for the upcoming cap crunch. Perfect time in the schedule to do it.

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
as bad as we played we probably win with ullmark in net.
power play brutal.
pk even worse.
Complete team looked awful. Ullmark does make up for some of the teams bad habits , that is not a good thing going forward. This team needs to figure out how to correct many bad habits going forward. Playing more then one period a game to start with. I really think losing Hall and Nick made a difference.

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Saying this one more time: Monty confirmed not long ago that Sacco does NOT coach/design the PP, he does manage the PK. So we can stop our collective wish fulfillment dream that canning Sacco will somehow fix the PP.
Monty and top end offensive talent guys need to figure this out and now have the luxury of time still in regular season to do just that!

This is news to me, but there has to be someone who is in charge of the PP and whoever that is is failing at his job. If nobody on this coaching staff can figure this out then maybe they should bring in an outside consultant, this can't continue and could prove fatal come playoff time.

Reactions: BMC

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The thing about bad habits and bad mindsets in pro athletes is it's usually not self-apparent that they have them. Players don't go around wanting or accepting of being somehow lazy or deficient, and coaches can tell or show them about this or that, but that will generally still only take you so far along the path of cognition. Really you have to experience it - see it for yourself in game and the results that arise therefrom.

In that sense loses like this are important, as long as the players don't kid themselves too much that they only happened because of sheer lack of effort/desire. They'll see what went wrong, why it went wrong, and what it meant on the scoreboard. They will hurt, even just a little bit, and that will encourage reflection and improvement. So good on the Bruins for their push in the 3rd and making the game close in the end, but coming up short should actually benefit them more in the long run - they can't play their way out of a hole all the time, the can't continue to burn special teams opportunities and get away with it, and so on.

Let's see what sort of response they deliver against Chicago. At the very least I'd expect a much sharper start to the game.
It’s just human nature.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That's good news about Taylor Hall

My question for Monty about that "lack of desire to win 1 on 1 battles"- what are you going to do about it? This goes back to my post on page 1 of this thread and my repeated concerns about the PP.

I understand that after all the negativity from Cassidy that Monty's been a breath of fresh clean air with his positivity. However too much of a good thing is just as bad as too much of a bad thing. I guess what I'm asking is, does Monty have the willingness to take a tougher, less positive stance with the players & rein them in when they need it, as they seem to be getting to now??

Only if #37, 46, and #63 approve.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Cap-related question: are there any cap issues around bringing Hall and/or Foligno back before the playoffs?
Bruins need to clear at least $2M in cap space to activate Hall. It looks like Foligno may be injured until at least the beginning of the playoffs so Hall can be activated and Foligno sent to LTIR.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The thing about bad habits and bad mindsets in pro athletes is it's usually not self-apparent that they have them. Players don't go around wanting or accepting of being somehow lazy or deficient, and coaches can tell or show them about this or that, but that will generally still only take you so far along the path of cognition. Really you have to experience it - see it for yourself in game and the results that arise therefrom.

In that sense loses like this are important, as long as the players don't kid themselves too much that they only happened because of sheer lack of effort/desire. They'll see what went wrong, why it went wrong, and what it meant on the scoreboard. They will hurt, even just a little bit, and that will encourage reflection and improvement. So good on the Bruins for their push in the 3rd and making the game close in the end, but coming up short should actually benefit them more in the long run - they can't play their way out of a hole all the time, the can't continue to burn special teams opportunities and get away with it, and so on.

Let's see what sort of response they deliver against Chicago. At the very least I'd expect a much sharper start to the game.

All Montgomery needs to do is make the players watch last years Carolina series.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Need to adresse thoses bad habits before PO;

-Starting at time with intensity, put the other teams on their heels by forechecking with speed

-PP a complet shit show, need to be a killer

-Pasta need to cut by 50% of his turnovers, espacially at the blue line, that s gonna help everybody on the ice

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
really not all that much to be concerned about

You don’t get to 50-10-5 without being the best team in the league

Just ease back on the turnovers at the offensive blue line.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I'm thinking JM told the team let's see how good we are. Let's just play the 3rd period and see if we can whup their ass.

Reactions: BMC

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
At 4-3 I was SURE they'd tie it. Almost weird to me that they somehow didn't with all that momentum. But the wings have a lot of skill and speed in that lineup, and Husso looked great.

I think with 17 and 71 back and with something to play for, these guys will crush. I think the lines are starting to settle in, as are the pairings. So it's just time to let the new guys get comfortable.

Was really happy with Gryz. Wow he's showing he wants to be called on come playoff time.

Reactions: OV

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm sure I'm considered one of the bridge jumpers for not having blind faith. This is a hockey team, not a religion. It's not about this game or losing any particular game, it's the trend that is setting in, it's watching poor, lazy habits necessitate come from behind wins. It's a PP that is a dysfunctional mess, little after zone entry twirls because they want to hold the puck or wait for the perfect double pass to Pasta, while guys going to the net are being ignored. It's guys skating through the slot and not shooting looking for a better option. If folks don't see these things, I don't know what to tell you.

I've been watching this team since before Bobby Orr came to town, they have won 3 cups in that time, 2 with him. It's "sorted it self out" once over the next 50 years. Once. This is a great team, one of the best ever so far. Playing at their best they are virtually unbeatable, but playoff history is littered with great teams that nobody remembers.

I absolutely expect them to lose games and have no problem with that. What makes me go to the bridge is spotting inferior teams 2 and 4 goals before they lace up the skates. This does need to sort it self out. Spot Carolina 2 to 4 goals and you can turn the lights out. Allowing teams to extend a series that should be over in 5 or 6 games will have consequences in later rounds even if they win that series.

Go Bs!

Actually people always remember great teams that flamed out. How many times have we heard TB in 2019 mentioned ad nauseum? How about the 1971 Boston Bruins?

I'm certain many people remember the 1986 Oilers and the "legend" of Steve Smith, especially in Calgary and Edmonton.

How about our own New England Patriots 2007 season?

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I know people will say "PP sucked when we won the cup too" but the league's a little different now and the PP is more important than ever for success. idk why they can't get it to work but they have to fix this before the playoffs and get it up to at least an average level (if not better). It's a huge flaw.

Laziness? Sloppiness? Lack of motivation? Perhaps Monty has had it too easy and has to maybe get back to good old motivational coaching.

One thing I would do if I was them was start resting 2-3 vets each night. Rotate up Providence guys to give them more energy (as those guys should be motivated to impress) and also to have these guys ready if needed.

I like Orlov and Hathaway is coming around now but so far Bertuzzi just doesn't seem to fit. He needs to be better, at least until Hall comes back.

Not worried - yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad