Post-Game Talk: GAME 65 - Too Little Too Late - Detroit 5 BRUINS 3

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I really don’t know that there’s any sort of winning formula going into the playoffs.

I’ve seen plenty of teams in various sports “get hot at the right time”, go into the playoffs on a roll, only to get beat in the first round.

You don’t want to be overly rusty, but given the level of experience on this club, I’m not worried about the results as they play out the string here, and the sooner this talk about the regular season record ends, the better as far as I’m concerned.
yeah. i dont want them getting any record.
theyve choked enough aside from 2011. dont need any extra pressure put on them this year.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Rest some players. Get rid of Sacco somehow. I don't know. But I can tell you this: we CANNOT go into the playoffs with a pp looking this bad. It's not 2011 anymore. You can't get away with having a pp this atrocious in the playoffs.

Figure it out. It's been YEARS.
Saying this one more time: Monty confirmed not long ago that Sacco does NOT coach/design the PP, he does manage the PK. So we can stop our collective wish fulfillment dream that canning Sacco will somehow fix the PP.
Monty and top end offensive talent guys need to figure this out and now have the luxury of time still in regular season to do just that!

CAW1313

Mar 27, 2021
Macomb, MI
some of you are jumping off a bridge and some aren’t. I do know, they haven’t looked good in the last 3-4 games. When was the last on time start? Also if the PP doesn’t get fixed we will be an early exit in the playoffs!! Yes!! I’m very salty right now, my Bruins were very mediocre today and I’ve been waiting to see a goalie hug in person. I get very limited chances to see them in person and today sucked!!! The ride home with 2 other Wings fans didn’t help the cause. I know some are saying we won’t see a full 60 minute effort until the playoffs, that’s a recipe for disaster. I don’t think the Bruins or any team can just turn it on when they want. This was a very bad Wings team and the last 2 days wer eye openers. Did we peak too soon? Time well tell but our play is trending down! I hate losing to my hometown team. I’m pissed!

• Love
Reactions: Aeroforce and BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I really don’t know that there’s any sort of winning formula going into the playoffs.

I’ve seen plenty of teams in various sports “get hot at the right time”, go into the playoffs on a roll, only to get beat in the first round.

You don’t want to be overly rusty, but given the level of experience on this club, I’m not worried about the results as they play out the string here, and the sooner this talk about the regular season record ends, the better as far as I’m concerned.
8-10 down the stretch in 2011, and lost the first two vs the Habs in the playoffs

4-8 in 2013

7-7 in 2019

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I would put Hathaway and federic on the powerplay just to mix things up crash the net when pasta or McAvoy takes a shot.

Excellent idea.

So, how'd the bookits go today?

They need to start getting a little more physical and go into games with a bit more snarl. No excuses. They have the bodies to do it. They were doing it at the start of the season.

Saved the snarl for after the whistle stuff today.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
The overconfidence and lack of effort for 2/3 of the game was obvious. Carlo had a poor game as did Bertuzzi. Hence, he was demoted and put where he belongs-if he belongs at all.

The inability to clear our net front is a huge concern. The PP is also a concern, but I think that will return to form as soon as Monty figures out the point men-if he does.

Reactions: MerlotLineFan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Saying this one more time: Monty confirmed not long ago that Sacco does NOT coach/design the PP, he does manage the PK. So we can stop our collective wish fulfillment dream that canning Sacco will somehow fix the PP.
Monty and top end offensive talent guys need to figure this out and now have the luxury of time still in regular season to do just that!

Funny he says that, but I believe he was apart of running it for a LONG time here. Is it Gruden now running the pp? Is it just Monty? I'd like more clarification.

I just find it hard to believe that Sacco all of a sudden this year has nothing to do with the pp, after years of being involved. The pp looks exactly the same as it has for years.

It's looked the same literally for years. There's no excuse.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Getting Hall back on the ice will be a good boost for the guys.

That's good news about Taylor Hall

My question for Monty about that "lack of desire to win 1 on 1 battles"- what are you going to do about it? This goes back to my post on page 1 of this thread and my repeated concerns about the PP.

I understand that after all the negativity from Cassidy that Monty's been a breath of fresh clean air with his positivity. However too much of a good thing is just as bad as too much of a bad thing. I guess what I'm asking is, does Monty have the willingness to take a tougher, less positive stance with the players & rein them in when they need it, as they seem to be getting to now??

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Great post.

I think they HAVE gotten into the habit of thinking that they can just turn it off and on whenever they like.

They’ve gotten into some bad habits all around and need a bit of a reset. If the Bruins spot Toronto or Carolina or anyone else multi-goal leads on a regular basis in the playoffs, their historic run will be over so fast their heads will spin.

The thing about bad habits and bad mindsets in pro athletes is it's usually not self-apparent that they have them. Players don't go around wanting or accepting of being somehow lazy or deficient, and coaches can tell or show them about this or that, but that will generally still only take you so far along the path of cognition. Really you have to experience it - see it for yourself in game and the results that arise therefrom.

In that sense loses like this are important, as long as the players don't kid themselves too much that they only happened because of sheer lack of effort/desire. They'll see what went wrong, why it went wrong, and what it meant on the scoreboard. They will hurt, even just a little bit, and that will encourage reflection and improvement. So good on the Bruins for their push in the 3rd and making the game close in the end, but coming up short should actually benefit them more in the long run - they can't play their way out of a hole all the time, the can't continue to burn special teams opportunities and get away with it, and so on.

Let's see what sort of response they deliver against Chicago. At the very least I'd expect a much sharper start to the game.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The overconfidence and lack of effort for 2/3 of the game was obvious. Carlo had a poor game as did Bertuzzi. Hence, he was demoted and put where he belongs-if he belongs at all.

The inability to clear our net front is a huge concern. The PP is also a concern, but I think that will return to form as soon as Monty figures out the point men-if he does.

IMO it's not an inability to clear our front net, it's unwillingness. It's hard, dirty work with little reward. IMO Forbort & Clifton are the only Bruins D really willing to get in there. What I wouldn't give for a healthy Kevan Miller right about now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad