Post-Game Talk: GAME #62: Canucks 0 vs. Islanders 4 | More underwhelming than the 50th anniversary logo

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Hey Zippgunn is it actually better that Spooner is playing *on* our roster instead of never thinking about Gagner ever again and just giving the spot to someone who might actually have a long term future with our team? Want to rethink that one?

It's incredible how with every single move we find a way to get worse with every pro scouting move.

Spooner was not alone in his uselessness and it IS only his second game here but I am getting a laugh at the fact that once again Gagner seems to have found a way to contribute in the NHL. It's almost like our coaching staff is clueless or something...

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So much dead weight on this team, but on the other hand, the number of injured players is insane, which certainly doesn't help. I still have zero clue how Spooner with his $3m albatross contract could end up on the Canucks.

Reactions: B-rock

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Beagle - stating to see signs of how bad this signing will probably be. Has no offensive ability and is increasingly so-so in his end. And everything is moving in the wrong direction. This signing could work out to be killer bad. Imagine 3 years from now with Louie and Beagle as the core of your 4th line. Very ugly stuff.
I mean, wtf are we doing giving this guy a fat retirement contract presumably for his years of selfless and tireless soldiering in Washington? Isn't it the Caps responsibility to reward him if they think he deserves it?

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
We’re 5 years into the Benning rebuild/retool and our top 3 dmen are all Gillis players. If we didn’t let Hamhuis walk, it’d be 4 of the top 5.

When does management admit they have zero idea how to assess defensemen?

Jim Benning (probably): "I know a good defenceman when I see one...I *played* defence in the NHL dammit! I don't need some pencil-neck with some made up 'stats' telling me what to do!"

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Peak late season Canucks game. The type of game you're angry you stayed awake for.

Watching this game was like waiting in the DMV for three hours. I really have no memory of it and I'd rather not do it again for awhile.

Barzal is amazing to watch.

Ryan Spooner is complete ass.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
The data is not important sometimes...

tenor.gif

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Imagine 3 years from now with Louie and Beagle as the core of your 4th line. Very ugly stuff.

Jesus f***ing Christ, that is bleak.

GratefulEmbarrassedCapybara-small.gif

I am a Beagle fan. I like what he brought the first half of the season but the vets are definitely checking out with their country club contracts.

Reactions: timw33

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Note Benning & Co. This is what real depth looks like:

The Province said:
Cizikas, the fourth-line centre, has 17 goals on the season. That would place him fourth on the Canucks. On the Islanders, he’s one of eight players in double digits.

But look at the bright side. Clearly, the Canucks understand the concept of rebuilding better than the Islanders.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Spooner was not alone in his uselessness and it IS only his second game here but I am getting a laugh at the fact that once again Gagner seems to have found a way to contribute in the NHL. It's almost like our coaching staff is clueless or something...

Hey at least we can agree on something.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m a little puzzled by the trade - if our plan was to insert a butter soft, one dimensional forward into the lineup, why not make it Gagner instead of dealing him for Spooner? But oh well.

It’s a bit of a mind f***.

On one hand, Gagner was a terrible signing and not a good player who fully deserved to be in the minors.

On the other hand, he’s clearly a better player than Schaller/Granlund and easily better than Ryan Spooner.

And when Green had Gagner up here this year he was playing him 18 minutes/game.

The layers of incompetence here are ridiculous.

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I’m a little puzzled by the trade - if our plan was to insert a butter soft, one dimensional forward into the lineup, why not make it Gagner instead of dealing him for Spooner? But oh well.

I said it at the time of the trade Spooner is basically a younger worse Gagner, he has to be deployed like Gagner was in CBJ to be of any use which is impossible here as we seem intent on having a traditional bottom 6 ie 0 depth

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree but neither player should be in our lineup
Roll of the dice. Been there done that with Gagner. Canucks were buying him out in June.

I suspect Spooner gets bought out unless he does something in the final 20 games.

It’s been 11 games since the ASG. team is 3-6-2 for 8/22 points. Now 5 points out. Benning better be working the phones and letting teams know he’s a seller. Meaningful games catch phrase is quickly going out the window. Man this is shades of 2016 al over again. Lose sutter and Edler early in feb and have Hamhuis as a ufa. Now lose Tanev and sutter again and Edler is hurt but close, and he’s a ufa.

But this is like 4 years in a row that the Canucks have faded badly since the ASG each year. The money spent in the top 6 forwards is like even with the bottom 6 when you factor in elc bonuses. Compare EP, Brock, Bo, Leivo, Sven, Goldy and or Spooner or Rousell who combine for $13-$15 million plus bonuses so up to around $20 million possibly.
Bottom 6 is Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Granny, Schaller, Virtanen, Motte. Around $18 mill. If Rousell is in the bottom 6 you bump that up to $20 million taking out Motte.
Honestly, only your 3C should be well paid if they are a good checker and PK and faceoff guy like Malhottra was. Maybe pay a third line winger like Rousell.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Can’t we have neither? I would happily accepted a late round pick or some pocket lint for him instead of f***ing Spooner.

Boucher could probably do better.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I’m willing to give management the benefit of the doubt for the moment and just assume they wanted to see how he played before exiling him to the Comets; also assume that they already made their decision to wash their hands of Gagner. As such, deal makes sense to me in this context seeing as Gagner wasn’t going to ever be playing for the Comets. Now THAT I have a problem with (the decision to have Gagner play for the Marlies)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad