Post-Game Talk: GAME #62: Canucks 0 vs. Islanders 4 | More underwhelming than the 50th anniversary logo

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Amazingly Benning has presided over this team as long as Gillis now (5-6 years). And with a rebuilding team (more roster turnover) he has brought us 1 good dmen in Stecher.

Stecher was coming here anyway... Hughes wasn't really a factor til after the fact.

Ehrhoff vs. ???
Hutton vs. Brisebois
Ballard vs. Gudbranson

Booth vs. Eriksson

2013 Horvat vs. 2014 Virtanen
Different set of circumstances though..one team was loaded with (inherited) elite players on the verge of being a SC contender..and the other with a declining core, no prospect pool, and one core prospect (Horvat)..so no no good UFA d-men are coming here.

As I said in my prior post..JB's attainment of d-men hasn't been good ..maybe second time is a charm (Hughes).

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Different set of circumstances though..one team was loaded with (inherited) elite players on the verge of being a SC contender..and the other with a declining core, no prospect pool, and one core prospect (Horvat)..so no no good UFA d-men are coming here.

As I said in my prior post..JB's attainment of d-men hasn't been good ..maybe second time is a charm (Hughes).

Money attracts UFA more so than contending status

Too bad we spend $ on garbage

Personally I like the approach of signing UFAs to flip at deadline for 3rd rd picks, 2nds if we manage to build up that asset during the course of the season. Or take cap dumps and picks, I mean those cap dumps can't be worse than some ufa signings

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Money attracts UFA more so than contending status

Too bad we spend $ on garbage

Personally I like the approach of signing UFAs to flip at deadline for 3rd rd picks, 2nds if we manage to build up that asset during the course of the season. Or take cap dumps and picks, I mean those cap dumps can't be worse than some ufa signings
Are you sure about that?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hammer coming here already is a wash with Stecher coming here already which leaves Jimbo with ZERO NHL caliber dmen acquired for this team.

Sad!

But now you'll get rhetoric that the context favoured Gillis because his team was stronger. The team he built, mind you... Still, the Stecher case proves this the other way too. College FAs look at a weak roster as an opportunity as well. Goes both ways.

Benning's pro talent evaluations on defense have been atrocious. 5 years in, he has Stecher, Pouliot and Gudbranson added to what was already here. That's pathetic.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
But now you'll get rhetoric that the context favoured Gillis because his team was stronger. The team he built, mind you... Still, the Stecher case proves this the other way too. College FAs look at a weak roster as an opportunity as well. Goes both ways.

Benning's pro talent evaluations on defense have been atrocious. 5 years in, he has Stecher, Pouliot and Gudbranson added to what was already here. That's pathetic.
Whataboutism is the last refuge of the [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: geebaan

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Do you think we could pick up Chia? I don't think we should jump to conclusions on him, he did inherit a mess in Edmonton after all

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Are you sure about that?

I think money talks for the second and third tier UFAs. Top tier guys are all going to get similar deals no matter where they go but they are much more likely to forego some of that money for the right fit on a contending team.

It's why I don't think the canucks have much of a chance at the top tier guys if they make it to UFA status.

And why I worry that we are going to see bad contracts to middling UFAs again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->