Post-Game Talk: GAME #62: Canucks 0 vs. Islanders 4 | More underwhelming than the 50th anniversary logo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
And just as yet another semantical complaint, I hate it when people say "underlying data." What makes data "underlying" vs "overlying?" We really need to get together and fix our horrendous hockey analytics terminology.

Someone should just ask him, "does it bother you that whenever this guy steps on the ice, the puck is in your net?" Don't confuse him with this "underlying data" garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krnuckfan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So after all the heat, light and spin-doctoring from the beat guys on House Radio, the Canucks are headed for their rightful place of 28th - 31st overall again.

The last 25 games in every NHL season are 'measuring stick games for where your roster is really at. Teams ramp up the intensity, desperately jockeying for playoff position. So it's hardly a surprise that this is the point of the season where the annual Canuck swoon begins in earnest.

Apologists will continue to blame the injuries; the schedule; the inexperience of young players; and the loss of a lucky rabbit's foot. Whatever.

The reality is that after five years of the Benning 'rebuild', the Canucks have a slew of under-performing, overpaid and untradeable veterans. They have two legitimate d-men in Edler and Tanev who are chronically injured and can't play 60 games a season. After that the blueline drops off a cliff.

There are a few nuggets in another 'groundhog day' season. Pettersson has been a revelation, although looks to have finally hit the wall. Boeser and Horvat have continued to build on their games. Gaudette looks like a keeper. And Markstrom has had a breakthrough season, although he's pushing 30.

I could be shocked by tomorrow's trade deadline and Benning might actually unload some of his underwhelming veterans with bloated contracts. But then again, probably not.

So the season is now reduced to anticipating the arrival of Quinn Hughes and the breakdown of the lottery balls in early April. Canuck fans have good reason to feel a major let-down.

Reactions: EastEnderVan

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Is this a real quote? Pretty sure it's parody.
Looks like a transcript of someone who isn't very eloquent talking. I'm more terrified of the content than the awful use of language, and that looks exactly like what Jim thinks and says about real Gud.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Looks like a transcript of someone who isn't very eloquent talking. I'm more terrified of the content than the awful use of language, and that looks exactly like what Jim thinks and says about real Gud.

That's what makes it a good parody. It is funny and reminiscent of how he talks, but I don't believe it's a direct quote.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
You are correct. It is a quote from this PITB article.

Canucks banking on Gudbranson getting better; odds are, he won't

“I think [my game] is going to get better. If I shave this beard away, I look a little younger, I might look my age,” said Gudbranson. “I’m still a sponge, like I was when I was 19, 20 years old, trying to pick guy’s brains and use the [veterans] to my advantage. I don’t know what the ceiling is. I don’t think anybody really knows, but I’m just trying to get better every single day and that’s my motivation to be here. Any hockey players motivation is to constantly get better.”

At least he isn't short on confidence. And tbf, he hasn't even hit the 500 game mark yet!

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
If Garrison was also still here, it'd be 5 of our top 6 :biglaugh:
The dmen that Benning has brought in are:
Stecher, Troy
Sbisa, Luca
Gudbranson, Erik
Pouliot, Derrick
Del Zotto, Michael
Bartkowski, Matt
Tryamkin, Nikita
Larsen, Philip
Clendening, Adam
Pedan, Andrey
Sautner, Ashton
Fedun, Taylor
Brisebois, Guillaume
Holm, Philip

The list of Gillis-era dmen Benning inherited:
Edler, Alexander
Tanev, Christopher
Hutton, Ben
Hamhuis, Dan
Biega, Alex
Weber, Yannick
Bieksa, Kevin
Stanton, Ryan
Corrado, Frank
McEneny, Evan
Garrison, Jason

What's the best top 6 from each?

I'm thinking:

Tryamkin-Stecher
Sbisa-Gudbranson
Del Zotto-Clendening

vs.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Weber
Hamhuis-Biega (or Garrison)

It's extremely disappointing that you could still easily put together a better top 6 now with the dmen Benning inherited from Gillis than the dozen plus Benning acquisitions.

How bad would this team be if Edler, Tanev, and Hutton had been traded last year? Even with Pettersson, it would be unwatchable, IMO.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Stecher, Troy
Sbisa, Luca
Gudbranson, Erik
Pouliot, Derrick
Del Zotto, Michael
Bartkowski, Matt
Tryamkin, Nikita
Larsen, Philip
Clendening, Adam
Pedan, Andrey
Sautner, Ashton
Fedun, Taylor
Brisebois, Guillaume
Holm, Philip

The list of Gillis dmen has brought in are:

Tanev, Christopher
Hutton, Ben
Hamhuis, Dan
Biega, Alex
Weber, Yannick
Keith Ballard
Stanton, Ryan
Corrado, Frank
McEneny, Evan
Garrison, Jason

What's the best top 6 from each?

I'm thinking:

Tryamkin-Stecher
Sbisa-Gudbranson
Del Zotto-Clendening

vs.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Weber
Hamhuis-Biega

It's extremely disappointing that you could still easily put together a better top 6 now with the dmen Benning inherited from Gillis than the dozen plus Benning acquisitions.

How bad would this team be if Edler, Tanev, and Hutton had been traded last year? Even with Pettersson, it would be unwatchable, IMO.
Nice wording on Gillis tenure....Should be like this...

Stecher, Troy
Sbisa, Luca
Gudbranson, Erik
Pouliot, Derrick
Del Zotto, Michael
Bartkowski, Matt
Tryamkin, Nikita
Larsen, Philip
Clendening, Adam
Pedan, Andrey
Sautner, Ashton
Fedun, Taylor
Brisebois, Guillaume
Holm, Philip

The list of Gillis dmen has brought in are:

Tanev, Christopher
Hutton, Ben
Hamhuis, Dan
Biega, Alex
Weber, Yannick

Stanton, Ryan
Corrado, Frank
McEneny, Evan
Garrison, Jason

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Why did you change my quote to butchered English and remove Edler and Bieksa?

The point is that Benning inherited them and that his acquisitions are significantly worse than what he inherited.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why did you change my quote to butchered English and remove Edler and Bieksa?

The point is that Benning inherited them and that his acquisitions are significantly worse than what he inherited.
Gillis inherited them too..

You also forgot that Gillis brought in Keith Ballard.

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Gillis inherited them too..

You also forgot that Gillis brought in Keith Ballard.
1) And? This isn't about Gillis. This is about how Benning has been completely inept at bringing in quality defensemen over the past 5 years. He literally could've kept the same defense we had in April 2014 and we'd have a better back end right now. Which, considering Hamhuis is running on fumes, Weber and Biega are depth players, and Garrison is playing in Europe, is brutal.
2) Take a look up and grasp at the point buzzing over your head.
3) I didn't forget. It's irrelevant to the point I was making.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
1) And? This isn't about Gillis. This is about how Benning has been completely inept at bringing in quality defensemen over the past 5 years. He literally could've kept the same defense we had in April 2014 and we'd have a better back end right now. Which, considering Hamhuis is running on fumes, Weber and Biega are depth players, and Garrison is playing in Europe, is brutal.
2) Take a look up and grasp at the point buzzing over your head.
3) I didn't forget. It's irrelevant to the point I was making.
Well then why compare it to Gillis then?....who actually inherited most of his elite players (and he basically just opened the door for Hamhuis,,he was coming anyway)..Not going to disagree that Benning couldn't have done a better job on the blueline,but you don't have to make up BS type comparisons.

Hopefully,Quinn Hughes will end this 'never brought in a D man' conversation once and for all.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Well then why compare it to Gillis then?....who actually inherited most of his elite players (and he basically just opened the door for Hamhuis,,he was coming anyway)..Not going to disagree that Benning couldn't have done a better job on the blueline,but you don't have to make up BS type comparisons.

Hopefully,Quinn Hughes will end this 'never brought in a D man' conversation once and for all.

Gillis brought in Ehrhoff Hamhuis Tanev to go along with Salo Ohlund Edler Bieksa

Pretty disingenuous to say he inherited most of his players

Reactions: Pavel96

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
With Hughes we've invested two top 10 picks on dmen

Sure hope he contributes or we are Oilers territory

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Gillis brought in Ehrhoff Hamhuis Tanev to go along with Salo Ohlund Edler Bieksa

Pretty disingenuous to say he inherited most of his players
Hamhuis was coming here anyway...Full credit for trading for Ehrhoff..Tanev wasn't really a factor till after the fact,

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Hamhuis was coming here anyway...Full credit for trading for Ehrhoff..Tanev wasn't really a factor till after the fact,

Amazingly Benning has presided over this team as long as Gillis now (5-6 years). And with a rebuilding team (more roster turnover) he has brought us 1 good dmen in Stecher.

Stecher was coming here anyway... Hughes wasn't really a factor til after the fact.

Ehrhoff vs. ???
Hutton vs. Brisebois
Ballard vs. Gudbranson

Booth vs. Eriksson

2013 Horvat vs. 2014 Virtanen

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Tanev had ascended quickly under the Gillis regime.

Also, repeating that Hamhuis was coming here anyway is your supposition and has no relevance to the point being made.

So in total, Benning has brought in one 4/5 Dman in Stecher during his entire tenure... Awesome right?

As with most things Gillis far surpasses Benning, but we know this already.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hammer coming here already is a wash with Stecher coming here already which leaves Jimbo with ZERO NHL caliber dmen acquired for this team.

Sad!

Reactions: Pavel96

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad