GDT: Game 6 - Coyotes @ Blackhawks 7:30 PM (CT) NBCSCH - Heeeeeeee's Baaaaaaaaack...I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
nope he is not....he is an AMAZING lockeroom guy, I do honestly believe he was brought in for what he does off ice more so than on ice..there was a fear with Toews not being a good leader anymore, they brought in a guy who has been revered in every lockeroom he has been at, so obviously Kunitz brings more to the table than just on the ice, he might have been brought in to help the leadership here and get guys moving again...

if you think about it, Saad is getting dumped to the 4th line and then wearing the scratched jersey at practice...coincidence this is finally happening with Kunitz here??? Not saying Kunitz is running to the coaches and tattle tailing but I guarantee you they are asking him for his thoughts and whatever we can ***** and moan about Kunitz, hustle and effort isn't one of them. if Kunitz is saying Saad or others isn't giving a **** out there, the staff is most certainly listening. Just wish he could contribute more on the ice because he is a good guy and a good soldier...

Nobody cares about good locker room guys if they are actively hurting your chances of winning on a nightly basis. On the contrary. They typically end up being despised.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Last night's game is what happens when a good team outchances an opponent but isn't rewarded. Look at the differential in the Corsi for the game - the Hawks controlled the action. Eventually even the best teams get frustrated. The first two yote goals were well earned and Raanta played very well. One of the secrets of the Hawks success was being able to ice a 1 and 1a goalie tandem (e.g., Crawford/Raanta or Crawford/Darling) and play a top six forward or two in the bottom six (e.g., most recently Hossa and earlier Frolik). Bring back those days! Success with that strategy is eventually "rewarded" with a cap squeeze. Manning is terrible. I could see the argument for bringing in Kunitz (Anisimov needed help with d) but Kunitz is already -4. If Kunitz isn't scoring and isn't playing even or better he shouldn't be on the ice. People criticize +/- but in gross terms it is useful. You can't have a bottom six not scoring and which is being scored against at the same time. That puts pressure on your top 6 to take chances and you know what happens when even top players have to take chances.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Is Fortin currently penalty killing? If he’s not he should be. He’s got hands of stone, but speed kills, so he’s basically Grabner. I feel like if we could teach him it could go a long way to improving the PK.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nobody cares about good locker room guys if they are actively hurting your chances of winning on a nightly basis. On the contrary. They typically end up being despised.
there is a difference with not being good anymore and not giving a shit. Kunitz isn't getting despised here lol, that is absurd. guys like Saad, Toews, Seabs, and Keith were all put on notice, a guy like Kunitz who has given his all everywhere and still does is someone that Q and company might be looking at for some thoughts with certain players. Kunitz makes $1 mil and Saad makes $6 mil...players making barely league minimum are not getting despised unless they did something stupid to the boys. I never liked the Kunitz signing, still do not, but just pointing out having a player that can help lead and motivate can help turn teams around...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Outside of the turnover yesterday Kunitz has been fine. Agree he was probably brought in to help restore the room. Same with Ward and probably Manning.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Outside of the turnover yesterday Kunitz has been fine. Agree he was probably brought in to help restore the room. Same with Ward and probably Manning.
exactly, we had quotes coming out that management was not happy with Toews and others this off season and last year - questioning of their leadership...is it really hard to think they brought character guys in like Kunitz and Ward in hopes to hold others more accountable and help with the leadership of this team?? nobody is saying the signing of Kunitz was good, IT WAS NOT..but a veteran player has more to offer than just on the ice, anyone who has played the game at a competitive level should understand that...and no not talking beer leagues here.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
AA + Saad were completely useless this game like all other games pretty much this year, $10M in dead cap, this team is going no where unless these two produce 50 goals in between them...

this team is not overall situated to go anywhere --- if by "anywhere" you mean make a meaningful playoff run. AA and Saad are but a small subset of the reasons why. Do not think that somehow, if AA and Saad really got it together and played well that that would be enough for the Hawks to do something meaningful --- it would not. Even if Saad and AA did get 50 goals (which is unrealistic to expect) -- but even if they did, with our blue line as it is, with our special teams as they are, with questionable backup goaltending, etc. --- the Hawks do not have enough this year to do anything (maybe make the playoffs?).

My point is that it does not make sense to blame AA and Saad for being the ones upon whom "going anywhere" depends. There are many reasons beyond the play of these two that are less than ideal. I agree that they need to step it up. i agree that they are not playing to their cap hit as well. But neither are Seabs, Duncs, Murphy (who is not even playing), Kruger, Rutta --- and even Kane and Toews (neither will play at a 10.5 top of the league level - though bopth have had good starts). So...

singling out AA and Saad is not entirely fair. they are part of the reason the Hawks will not go anywhere --- but are far from alone in that and also these two are not the determining factors (they do, however, contribute to why the Hawks will likely not go anywhere - but they are not alone in that). Again, I would like to see these two step up - especially Saad - but lets not overstate the case here.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
there is a difference with not being good anymore and not giving a ****. Kunitz isn't getting despised here lol, that is absurd. guys like Saad, Toews, Seabs, and Keith were all put on notice, a guy like Kunitz who has given his all everywhere and still does is someone that Q and company might be looking at for some thoughts with certain players. Kunitz makes $1 mil and Saad makes $6 mil...players making barely league minimum are not getting despised unless they did something stupid to the boys. I never liked the Kunitz signing, still do not, but just pointing out having a player that can help lead and motivate can help turn teams around...

Guys that are playing in place of better, more capable players, because the coach loves their "character" or "leadership" absolutely end up being despised. These guys are competitive and want to win more than anything else. If this was a veteran of the TEAM you might have a point but he's a washed up, useless outsider, who last night cemented a loss for them with an egregious mistake.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
there is a difference with not being good anymore and not giving a ****. Kunitz isn't getting despised here lol, that is absurd. guys like Saad, Toews, Seabs, and Keith were all put on notice, a guy like Kunitz who has given his all everywhere and still does is someone that Q and company might be looking at for some thoughts with certain players. Kunitz makes $1 mil and Saad makes $6 mil...players making barely league minimum are not getting despised unless they did something stupid to the boys. I never liked the Kunitz signing, still do not, but just pointing out having a player that can help lead and motivate can help turn teams around...

Guys that are playing in place of better, more capable players, because the coach loves their "character" or "leadership" absolutely end up being despised. These guys are competitive and want to win more than anything else. If this was a veteran of the TEAM you might have a point but he's a washed up, useless outsider.

I'm with my bro on this one. You ice the best possible lineup every night, at all times. A guy who should be golfing(and is only there for his locker room presence) playing over a young kid who could be helping the team 10x more on the ice is not sending a good message to the young kids in the system, IMO. They have to earn their spot, and play amazing, mistake-free hockey, but a guy like Kunitz can do whatever he pleases, and offer nothing positive to the team, and he gets gifted a spot, gifted ice time, and gifted PP time?? :shakehead No thanks. That's not a good thing for anyone, and yes, that player will end up being hated in the locker room for it, IMO.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Kunitz was not fine. He had some major scoring opportunities and did nothing with them. Did he even get a shot off on the breakaway?

Maybe he was brought to help the locker room. He can do that from the press box. The younger guys should be playing. Kunitz pretty much makes Anisimov impotent on the ice.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I dont know. I wasn't a fan of the Kunitz signing, but outside of the awful turnover last night, I think he's been fine. My fear is that "fine" is probably his ceiling at this point.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Here are some positives:

* Crow was rusty, but there is a glimmer of hope. With time, it can happen.
* Toews is definitely back. Toews, Cat, and Kahun is a good line.
* Gus and Seabrook played well enough.
* Kane lost like 4 assists last night.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I dont know. I wasn't a fan of the Kunitz signing, but outside of the awful turnover last night, I think he's been fine. My fear is that "fine" is probably his ceiling at this point.

And what I imagine most people who say he has been "fine" mean, is he has not been a net negative. Last night he was. He missed a couple good opportunities, and didn't even get a shot off on a breakaway as he fumbled with the puck. If fine = he's literally a zero player, not negative, or positive, then he doesn't belong on the ice. Then give a kid with some drive, and some talent a chance. Someone who can be a net positive every night, other than some small mistakes here and there. That kid offers you more when it comes to having a better chance to win than a Kunitz does.

Reactions: migi and Pez68

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
At best Kunitz is a 4th line forward. At 40 years old, what's the point? Is he really helping Anismov and Kampf learn the game? If he's going to make blind passes to the middle, play the young guys.

Reactions: Pez68

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Guys that are playing in place of better, more capable players, because the coach loves their "character" or "leadership" absolutely end up being despised. These guys are competitive and want to win more than anything else. If this was a veteran of the TEAM you might have a point but he's a washed up, useless outsider, who last night cemented a loss for them with an egregious mistake.
sorry, going to disagree with you there. Kunitz hasn't even been that bad, he made a mistake last night but so did many others. the player right now that would be getting despised is Brandon Saad and his $6 mil salary. Next up would be Manning and his $2 mil plus salary...after him would be Rutta and his $2mil plus salary as he has been worthless...all three of these players have been worse than Kunitz and make more money...start there, bitching over Kunitz just doesn't make sense when others need that bitching more IMO.

It isn't just the coach responsible for Kunitz, Bowman brought him in for a reason, players are not going to despise him when playing 3rd-4th line minutes and being a proven NHL player on league minimum...that is not Kunitz's fault, he is giving his all (just not much left), Q just keeps playing him a line too high. by your theory nearly half this team would be despised by the other half last year watching Primadonna millionaires looking like they didn't give a shit (Toews, Seabs, Saad, Keith, etc)...yet here we are the following season and everyone seems to care again..I am sure their inner pride has stepped up, but I also believe guys like Ward and Kunitz can help lead to a better/motivated locker room and have done so.

I agree he belongs nowhere on the third line, and likely should be rotating in and out of the 13th forward...but that is on Q and not Kunitz.

Reactions: Rolo

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
And what I imagine most people who say he has been "fine" mean, is he has not been a net negative. Last night he was. He missed a couple good opportunities, and didn't even get a shot off on a breakaway as he fumbled with the puck. If fine = he's literally a zero player, not negative, or positive, then he doesn't belong on the ice. Then give a kid with some drive, and some talent a chance. Someone who can be a net positive every night, other than some small mistakes here and there. That kid offers you more when it comes to having a better chance to win than a Kunitz does.

While I agree generally, the Hawks were rostering Martinesen and Johnson, who I'd argue were negative. So, in terms of the roster as constructed, I had no issue playing him.

Speaking of which, are the Hawks going to carry 3 goalies going forward?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The issue with Kunitz is that he is AT MOST a net zero. The Hawks cannot afford a net zero anywhere on this roster. Just because he's not causing goals against every game, doesn't mean he belongs playing nightly... He was brought in as insurance and depth. Not as a fixture in the top 9 who plays every game.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
At best Kunitz is a 4th line forward. At 40 years old, what's the point? Is he really helping Anismov and Kampf learn the game? If he's going to make blind passes to the middle, play the young guys.

I wouldn't have signed him. I'm just saying outside of last night, he hadn't hurt the team. He should be playing ahead of guys like Johnson or Martisen. I'd be fine if none of them were on the roster, but that's not the case.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I wouldn't have signed him. I'm just saying outside of last night, he hadn't hurt the team. He should be playing ahead of guys like Johnson or Martisen. I'd be fine if none of them were on the roster, but that's not the case.

Should he be ahead of guys like Sikura or Highmore, or Noel, or Ejdsell? Personally, I don't think so.

Reactions: Pez68

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kunitz was not fine. He had some major scoring opportunities and did nothing with them. Did he even get a shot off on the breakaway?

Maybe he was brought to help the locker room. He can do that from the press box. The younger guys should be playing. Kunitz pretty much makes Anisimov impotent on the ice.

For a 1m fourth liner he’s been fine. Manning f***ed up that opportunity from the start by missing an easy outlet pass

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Here are some positives:

* Crow was rusty, but there is a glimmer of hope. With time, it can happen.
* Toews is definitely back. Toews, Cat, and Kahun is a good line.
* Gus and Seabrook played well enough.
* Kane lost like 4 assists last night.
Gus was very impressive last night...he gives you those 1-2 plays that you hold your breath in fear, but he really adds a dimension missing from his team..

for those always shitting on him, they need to acknowledge when he does well as well, that is the Gus that can be a difference maker here and with Murphy and Forsling coming back, this defense can be pretty darn good...

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
sorry, going to disagree with you there. Kunitz hasn't even been that bad, he made a mistake last night but so did many others. the player right now that would be getting despised is Brandon Saad and his $6 mil salary. Next up would be Manning and his $2 mil plus salary...after him would be Rutta and his $2mil plus salary as he has been worthless...all three of these players have been worse than Kunitz and make more money...start there, *****ing over Kunitz just doesn't make sense when others need that *****ing more IMO.

It isn't just the coach responsible for Kunitz, Bowman brought him in for a reason, players are not going to despise him when playing 3rd-4th line minutes and being a proven NHL player on league minimum...that is not Kunitz's fault, he is giving his all (just not much left), Q just keeps playing him a line too high. by your theory nearly half this team would be despised by the other half last year watching Primadonna millionaires looking like they didn't give a **** (Toews, Seabs, Saad, Keith, etc)...yet here we are the following season and everyone seems to care again..I am sure their inner pride has stepped up, but I also believe guys like Ward and Kunitz can help lead to a better/motivated locker room and have done so.

I agree he belongs nowhere on the third line, and likely should be rotating in and out of the 13th forward...but that is on Q and not Kunitz.

Nobody is saying it is Kunitz's fault here.... He shouldn't be playing where he is, or as often as he is. There are better options to play RW with Anisimov.... that might actually generate some offense.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Gus was very impressive last night...he gives you those 1-2 plays that you hold your breath in fear, but he really adds a dimension missing from his team..

for those always ****ting on him, they need to acknowledge when he does well as well, that is the Gus that can be a difference maker here and with Murphy and Forsling coming back, this defense can be pretty darn good...

I wish Gus played every game like he played last night. If he did, he's basically a solid middle-pairing guy with some great offensive contributions. Or a great 3rd pairing guy who can play PP2 mins.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nobody is saying it is Kunitz's fault here.... He shouldn't be playing where he is, or as often as he is. There are better options to play RW with Anisimov.... that might actually generate some offense.
I agree with that, it just seemed like you were really bitching on Kunitz and saying the players are going to despise a guy who plays with his heart for pennies on this team...Q f***ing plays him on a line he doesn't belong on, that's not his fault at all and nobody should be angry at Kunitz for trying to continue his career...which you are saying as well..

Hopefully this is all moot as by December Sikura and Edjsell are ready to roll and jump up here and knock Kunitz out of the lineup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad